Notices

Mornings vs evenings

Old 07-25-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mornings vs evenings

Anyone else relate to this?

I've been feeling really bright every morning since stopping drinking, even the days when I'm tired I have way more energy each morning which has been great

Slowly as I enter the evening and night, I find myself getting pretty tired and irritable

Wondered whether anyone else has had this experience and what they did to improve things?

Old 07-25-2020, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I get up much earlier in a much better state of mind than I used to. Often settle in for an afternoon nap when possible.

I used to be very irritable on my hangover days. Nothing like that now.
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is so much healing that happens in recovery, especially physical healing in the early days. Your body needs energy to heal and lots of it; if your body is winding at night, listen to the message that it is sending you - take it easy and get some good sleep.

Here for you.
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I can relate to that. I don’t know if it was all in my head or not, but usually around evening time (drink o’clock!) I’d start feeling a bit run down/cranky. Going for walks helped clear that up a lot, but everyone is different and has their own strategies. And of course sometimes you just need a nap.

I don’t get that anymore though; my energy is mostly pretty steady as long as I get decent sleep. I’m a year and a half in, but I’m not exactly sure when I noticed the improvement. Either way, I still go for the evening walks; my dog enjoys them, and so do I.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like other people I had fatigue and emotional dips too. but I agree with them - it gets better.
I know I expected to feel great straight away but I'd put my body and mind through a lot over several years of hard hard drinking.

Give yourself time

D

Old 07-25-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think that is a pretty common pattern Alcoman. The body remembers when it was time to drink and it twitches and beckons you to happy hour. That gets much better as time goes by. Write down when those feelings start in the afternoon and when the fog lifts for the evening. If you track it I think you'll see that craving window shrink some each day. I think you will definitely see improvement in all things if you stay away from the drink.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alcoman447 View Post
Anyone else relate to this?

I've been feeling really bright every morning since stopping drinking, even the days when I'm tired I have way more energy each morning which has been great

Slowly as I enter the evening and night, I find myself getting pretty tired and irritable

Wondered whether anyone else has had this experience and what they did to improve things?
I felt that way in early recovery, I think I’d start thinking about wanting to drink and then getting irritated. That feeling passed after I had some sobriety under my belt. Keep up the great work, and remember how great you feel when you wake up!
Old 07-25-2020, 07:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've never heard of anyone experience a smooth emotional ride in early recovery. I sure didn't. It was much more of a roller coaster ride. When I got irritable or tired I'd either take some alone time or take a nap.

Listen to your body and let it be your guide rather than your mind. Your body will tell you what it needs. And what you're experiencing now will eventually pass.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I remember when I first started on here someone talking about how they had changed their entire day to support sobriety - very early to bed and getting up at 5am.

Ive done something similar but by accident - I fall asleep now super early (9.30-11pm) and wake up naturally between 4.30-6.00am. I was never a morning drinker and so purely through logistics it supports me not drinking - also in the early days and on very difficult days I can start winding down from 7.30pm so the promise of the safety of my bed is near at hand.

Im at five months and I'm still up and down, physically emotionally and mentally. But much MUCH less so in each passing week 👍
Old 07-26-2020, 12:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all, this is all massively helpful and appreciated!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alco, it could be diet too. I have had a lot of days where I felt weak which I do not believe are related to alcohol. I have changed my coffee intake which helped. Also if you are eating lots of carbs or not enough.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep, I'm great in the morning and crap at night!

Napping helps and so does keeping and eye on your diet. Complex carbs and lots of fruit and veg, gives you a boost and stops energy dipping. You'll get there