Notices

Problem Drinker vs Alcoholic

Old 07-19-2020, 05:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I remember this topic coming up at a meeting one time. A guy who I eventually asked to be my sponsor said, "You know, I sometimes ask myself if I was an actual alcoholic or just a slob." I remember that comment, not just for its insight, but also because the meeting roared with laughter. It apparently hit a nerve with everyone, because we've all be there at times, although we probably don't think in terms of "slob," but something less offensive to ourselves. We probably liked to see ourselves as a person who did his job, has a family, but drinks more than we really should. Alcoholic is an ugly sounding word, with much of society thinking it's a category of person that is slightly above "pervert," but that's only one of the reasons alcoholics want to deny it.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I labeled myself a problem drinker (in my head) when I was still in denial about being an alcoholic.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I remember this topic coming up at a meeting one time. A guy who I eventually asked to be my sponsor said, "You know, I sometimes ask myself if I was an actual alcoholic or just a slob." I remember that comment, not just for its insight, but also because the meeting roared with laughter. It apparently hit a nerve with everyone, because we've all be there at times, although we probably don't think in terms of "slob," but something less offensive to ourselves. We probably liked to see ourselves as a person who did his job, has a family, but drinks more than we really should. Alcoholic is an ugly sounding word, with much of society thinking it's a category of person that is slightly above "pervert," but that's only one of the reasons alcoholics want to deny it.
That's who I thought I was. That's who everyone else but my daughter thought I was. When I thought of alcoholic I thought of an end-stage addict. I thought a person was either one or wasn't one from the beginning. I didn't know abuse could turn a person into an addict.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am not convinced that there is a huge difference between a problem drinker and an alcoholic, but if there is then I know what side of the boundary I'm on - a real alcoholic. Most of the people I drank with in my twenties were excessive social drinkers - as I was myself then - but most greatly moderated their intake of alcohol in their thirties and especially by their forties, mostly without a need for rehab/AA or similar (that I'm aware of). When I first got sober in 2018, for some reason I had deluded myself into thinking that AA meetings would be like a re-union of my former drinking buddies - that they were all on the same path I was on. Actually, I recognised no-one that I used to drink with, probably because most of the people I used to drink with socially were never alcoholics, or even problem drinkers. In fact, the only person I have to date recognised from 'outside life' the 'real world' in an AA room was someone that I didn't go drinking with, though it occured to me that some of her workplace behaviours - people-pleasing and the like - were classically alcoholic. I had assumed that she had some kind of personality disorder or psychiatric illness other than alcoholism.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing Puck?

D
Old 07-20-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What was it in Allen Carr's book about the Pitcher Plant? I think that is how I see problem drinkers and alcoholics. If you've not read it, it' worth a read 👍
Old 07-20-2020, 08:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yeah, I don't really give it labels. I can call it whatever I want but one thing is for damn sure, it will destroy my life if I don't stop drinking it. I will now call myself, former drinker of life destroying elixir. We can't pick up the bottle no matter what we call it.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
nez

If I believe that I am a problem drinker, would that not warrant action? The first action to address the problem would be to stop drinking.

If I believe that I am an alcoholic, would that not warrant action? The first action to address the alcoholism would be to stop drinking.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

So here is the thing, many of my friends who are not classic alcoholics would readily admit that it would be very difficult for them to quit drinking and some would even say they couldnt. But why would they as they still have an off button etc etc. But they truly ADMIRE me big time for stopping.

Booze is a weird thing in all kinds of ways Puck. For me, after I stopped I realised that I always liked to drink too much for too many reasons.

I hate the word alcoholic, but would readily admit I am addicted to alcohol and cigarettes. I have not smoked for 40 years and have not had a drink for 5, but I know that if I start its all over because abstinence is not control for addicts. I also like ice cream but that is the difference.

I am 100% sure that whatever you are Puck you can stop drinking, because we all did. Its not the title that counts, its the fact that even addicts do not have to practice their addiction. Does not make us not addicted, just make us not practicing.

How can we help?