Notices

I'm Back

Old 07-15-2020, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Back

Hello,
I'm here again after a few failed attempts at getting sober these past few years. I don't know why but this time it's different. I'm only at the end of day 3 but something about my psychology towards alcohol has changed. I've been reading and researching and seriously considering my entire relationship with alcohol and what my future will hold without sobriety. I'm just done with it. I finally see it for what it really is. I know this probably just sounds like that initial burst of confidence one gets when calling it a day but it really is different this time. I finally see all the crap I've been fed my whole life about how fantastic alcohol is. I always failed in previous attempts, because deep down I never let go of what I believed was still great about alcohol. I've woken up and I'm not going to be part of the lies anymore. I know now I'll never drink again. I've wasted so much of my life and time to this crap. No more. It's good to be back here and I wish everybody well.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you know that you're ready to do this, and I'm glad to hear it.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Welcome back Bodhi
I know what it's like to bounce between being sober and not. I always seem to desire the opposite of where I am currently.

I think I know what you mean about the confidence. I have had that in the past. I also have had pink clouds. This time I really had neither. I know I am up against it if I truly want to stay sober long term. One thing that has kept me going is the realization that I honestly don't know how to stay sober. I am trying to learn how one day at a time. In a row
Old 07-15-2020, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome back, bodhi.
grab that confidence and knowledge you’re done and cement it in with actions and you’re set!
Old 07-15-2020, 07:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome home!
Old 07-15-2020, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah Bodhi, you really don't need to know anything other than booze has done nothing for you. There is nothing there. It is an empty tunnel and down that way madness lies. I'm so glad you have decided to hang it up. You don't need to battle anymore. I finally admitted I lost that fight, unlaced the gloves, and walked away from it. You deserve to live a peaceful, quiet and healthy life and we can only do that sober.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

Welcome back!
Old 07-15-2020, 09:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Bodhi

Have you thought on what exactly you'll do to stay sober?

D
Old 07-16-2020, 12:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

There is no mystery or soul regarding booze.

It is a mind altering neuro toxin and causes almost immediate and permanent addiction.

The addiction, brain damage, is irreversible but can be defeated with education, time, and suffering.

I use exercise, and other dopamine producing practices to fill the gaps left by drinking, being drunk, and being hung over.

The extra time I have led me to better relationships and physical/mental fitness improvements.

I am no longer the chemically altered version of me.

Wanting to quit was half the battle. So far the rest has been education, suffering, and time.

Folks regret relapse after decades clean. Addict for life.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome back Bodhi

Have you thought on what exactly you'll do to stay sober?

D
I'll be staying fit and healthy, focussing on the positive things in life and engaging with other ex alcoholics online. I don't feel I need to go to AA tbh. I may on occasion as a way to engage with othe like minded people but my views on alcohol ahve completely changed this time around. Me having a drink now would be like asking me to smoke a cyanide cigarette. I see it for the poison is truly is and always has been. I feel there's no risk of me ever touching it again.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not trying to push you to AA or anything else but I think a good recovery plan has to do more than activities.

It needs to incorporate something on what you'll do when you want to drink again, because its highly unlikely you'll never feel that way again.

If that's at least part of what you mean by engaging with other alcoholics, so much the better

D
Old 07-16-2020, 02:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bodhi, I agree that there is a mindset change and quitting just becomes different. It is good to be confident but be careful because the AV can twist stuff around when you least expect it. Be vigilant and always put your sobriety first above all else. It is a matter of life and death.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to see your change in attitude, Bodhi. That's similar to how I felt when I finally let go of it for good. I had built my whole life around it in the end - it was ridiculous. The once fun days of long ago were never coming back. I was dependent on it, but it never helped me enjoy life. In the end I was leading a miserable existence. Congratulations!
Old 07-16-2020, 03:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I heed the warnings and appreciate the advice. Something I've realised I always struggled to think about, was the internal damage I've done or was doing at the time I was drinking. Out of sight out mind. I'm listening to my body now. I've ignored the pain and aches for ar too long. I pray I've not done irreparable damage. I will stay mindful of my health and how damaging alcohol is. That should keep me focussed.