Notices

Hypocrisy

Old 07-13-2020, 12:27 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Well yes, maybe the idea was well meant. It's all hypothetical now due to covid anyway.
I'll think of something, wouldn't mind a hiking group that I saw that get themselves around the Lake District and the Yorkshire Moors.
I don't believe in God and I'm not into AA, but the animal shelter would be a possibility, my sister works in one, although not at the minute because of the semi-lockdown.
If the colleges open back up fully in September, wouldn't mind doing a night course in something, would break up the looong winter nights.
Yeah, I bet if I really thought about it, there would be stuff to do out there. Instead of sitting in here getting all misty eyed and sickenly sentimental over the past

EDIT. Yes I agree, there are some amazing things at craft fayres.But I don't knit I crochet and I can only do squares
Old 07-13-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

They can't keep us locked up forever!!

Old 07-13-2020, 12:33 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I know bimini, unless I join a hiking group and we all run across the Moors pretending we are rioting..but I'll leave that there, because I don't want to get into trouble
EDIT, that was a joke!
Old 07-13-2020, 12:38 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure people are meeting in each others' houses and doing all the stuff they always did, just in small groups.

We are on modified lockdown and can meet in small groups. I can't stay isolated forever - and something is going to kill me, that much is certain.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:45 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I know.
Here you can go to one other family members' household, they are part of your "bubble" can only meet with people in your "bubble" indoors
You can meet outside in groups of no more than 6 but those six can only be from 2 households ie for BBQs, picnics, outdoor restaurants. Sods law is, since they introduced this relaxation of the rules, it's been terrible weather! Sunny all of March, April, May and half of June, when we were in full lockdown, terrible since then. And it's NEVER good weather usually here in April/May.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:42 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Another day. It's a bright, fine summers morn, so I'm going to the park to feed the ducks and listen to the birds sing. I accidently went on a long walk yesterday and felt so much better when I came back, so going to do it everyday (weather permitting).
Although I feel, sitting in the park feeding the ducks is one step closer to "knit and natter" 😂
No soul searching this morning, just me, in nature giving my brain a rest
Old 07-14-2020, 02:01 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I'll be turning 47 soon. I am not a 'knit and natter' kind of person either. I am one of those people in a kind of denial about ageing. I like keeping active and took up marathons and weight training after getting sober. Whenever people say anything about 'getting older' or 'at our age...' I put my fingers in my ears...

Well I may not live past 100 like I'm always telling people I will, but sobriety is what really returned those kind of dreams to me. You don't have to choose that kind of path but the college idea is a great one.

As for relationships ... my choice in men improved as I grew older but the fact that I was drinking spelled doom for relationships. I told myself I didn't 'do' drama but how can an active alcoholic not do drama..? I couldn't help myself. At some point, the drunk demon would emerge. I even had my one and only black-out where I scared my then BF witless by turning into a screaming banshee.

In general, I am all for the principle of no new relationships within the 1st year of sobriety. I broke up with alcohol and the poor BF that I terrified - all in the the same weekend - and I couldn't have handled a new relationship, no way no how, in that first year of getting to know myself again. So give it some time, and after some healing, the right person will in all likelihood emerge.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:06 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I think "knit and natter" sounds better when you think about it as a light relaxing and socializing activity. Like chatting here on this thread with us while getting something out of it that you can apply in your life. I was very much into knitting in my teens and early 20s... so it is not necessarily for those at the edge of the grave. I found it very effective to relax my mind by focusing on something that's quite repetitive and does not require any mental gymnastics, and you see the result as well. I am not into any other handicrafts, but love different forms of graphic art that can be done with computers and having the skills is also very useful in my work. Anyway, I imagine that's something people can also meet in virtual groups for. But if you are not into it, then choose something you find interesting. I love hiking, too. Lived in the UK for a while in the past and spent some of my best vacations visiting the Lake District and various places in Scotland. You can also go hiking on your own and then it won't be a COVID concern given that you can get to your target area. I am just planning to do that later in the summer. It is not social, but gets out out of the everyday isolation we live in now and being in nature can be immensely refreshing if you are into it. It is also exercise, while knit and natter is certainly quite sedentary

I got into a relationship during my second sober year and then married him (first marriage, never wanted to do that when younger and thought why not, I can try). The relationship didn't last very long, all because of me, not because of him. And (his life) ended in a very sad way, even though we were no longer together at the time. Haven't felt the desire for a romantic partner since then beyond fleeting fantasies, but those don't tend to be realistic and healthy for me in the last couple years, so I don't act them out. I'm really fine being single but do like to have 1-2 close friends; am also much better at friendships. So that's what I do. I don't think a relationship has to be romantic to be quite close and intimate - I had a bunch like that throughout my life, they are usually very satisfying and I find it much easier to commit that way and to be loyal. People so often think that if someone is lonely, they need romance... I completely disagree with a basic notion like that. It's only one possibility, especially for middle-aged people (I'm that too, 46) who are not so driven by hormones anymore. I sometimes find that people lose interest when it becomes clear I don't have romantic interests in them, but then the best is to move on if they cannot accept it because it means our motives are not compatible. For me, it is not as simple as socializing with the gender I am not into because I can be interested in any, so I usually need to deal with this and communicate head-on.

I agree that you seem to be be using this thread very well to process and discuss various aspects of your roadblocks to sobriety and other elements of your life. It is quite engaging, too. I don't read/post too much on SR now (used to, from a different account years ago) but come back here because I feel drawn to the way you discuss things - really looking at your part and not becoming defensive. This is definitely not the case for every poster on this forum and you kinda lose the motivation to support when it is met with a closed mind over and over again. It seems to me that the main area you need to focus is really the action part - tackling your drinking actively and figuring out how to remain sober from experience. You already seem to have the theoretical parts and leaning figured out but need to put it into practice. You mentioned that yourself earlier. This is very relatable for me because I was the same way, far too long. I felt I knew so many things about addiction and recovery, could even advise others, but failed to make it happen for myself. That's one way I immediately related to your thread title and OP. So maybe try to do those tasks you planned now and don't let yourself being distracted by all those familiar old things. I know it is much easier saying than doing but it's doable!

Old 07-14-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Doriss, I'm happy to hear you inadvertently enjoyed being on your walk. I go every day. As you've already figured out, if you don't like your current emotional state, just give it ten minutes and it will change. That's always the case. One particularly good part about being sober is my brain doesn't lock on to things and ruminate endlessly. I am able to just move on to the next fleeting thought and not ruin a whole day over something someone said.

Nice to see Aellyce and Miss Perfumado here. Two of my favorite posters.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:00 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doriss, I hope you keep up the walking. It has worked wonders for me.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:25 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
I'll be turning 47 soon. I am not a 'knit and natter' kind of person either. I am one of those people in a kind of denial about ageing. I like keeping active and took up marathons and weight training after getting sober. Whenever people say anything about 'getting older' or 'at our age...' I put my fingers in my ears...

Well I may not live past 100 like I'm always telling people I will, but sobriety is what really returned those kind of dreams to me. You don't have to choose that kind of path but the college idea is a great one.

As for relationships ... my choice in men improved as I grew older but the fact that I was drinking spelled doom for relationships. I told myself I didn't 'do' drama but how can an active alcoholic not do drama..? I couldn't help myself. At some point, the drunk demon would emerge. I even had my one and only black-out where I scared my then BF witless by turning into a screaming banshee.

In general, I am all for the principle of no new relationships within the 1st year of sobriety. I broke up with alcohol and the poor BF that I terrified - all in the the same weekend - and I couldn't have handled a new relationship, no way no how, in that first year of getting to know myself again. So give it some time, and after some healing, the right person will in all likelihood emerge.
Hi Miss P thanks for posting. The age thing, as long as I don't look in the mirror, I am 25 like I feel in my mind haha. Marathons? And weight training? Walking a bit fast with my shopping bags is as much as I can manage, admire you for that!
Relationships with men, to tell you the truth I gave up a long time ago.
I am a narcissist magnet, I'm not talking vain type narcissist here but clinical narcissistic personality disorder type narcissist. Even before I started drinking. I am a bonafide nutter magnet, romantic wise or just random stranger wise.. If you ever get the chance to hear comedian Jasper Carrott and his "nutter on the bus" routine, that's my life that is. I can't imagine you being any sort of deranged banshee, shows you the delights drink can bestow on a person!
Mentioning blackouts, I had loads, they always scared the life out of me, then they became "normal" which is even more scary. I even had blackouts where one minute I'm in one place and the next minute in another entirely different one. Madness!
Old 07-14-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
I think "knit and natter" sounds better when you think about it as a light relaxing and socializing activity. Like chatting here on this thread with us while getting something out of it that you can apply in your life. I was very much into knitting in my teens and early 20s... so it is not necessarily for those at the edge of the grave. I found it very effective to relax my mind by focusing on something that's quite repetitive and does not require any mental gymnastics, and you see the result as well. I am not into any other handicrafts, but love different forms of graphic art that can be done with computers and having the skills is also very useful in my work. Anyway, I imagine that's something people can also meet in virtual groups for. But if you are not into it, then choose something you find interesting. I love hiking, too. Lived in the UK for a while in the past and spent some of my best vacations visiting the Lake District and various places in Scotland. You can also go hiking on your own and then it won't be a COVID concern given that you can get to your target area. I am just planning to do that later in the summer. It is not social, but gets out out of the everyday isolation we live in now and being in nature can be immensely refreshing if you are into it. It is also exercise, while knit and natter is certainly quite sedentary

I got into a relationship during my second sober year and then married him (first marriage, never wanted to do that when younger and thought why not, I can try). The relationship didn't last very long, all because of me, not because of him. And (his life) ended in a very sad way, even though we were no longer together at the time. Haven't felt the desire for a romantic partner since then beyond fleeting fantasies, but those don't tend to be realistic and healthy for me in the last couple years, so I don't act them out. I'm really fine being single but do like to have 1-2 close friends; am also much better at friendships. So that's what I do. I don't think a relationship has to be romantic to be quite close and intimate - I had a bunch like that throughout my life, they are usually very satisfying and I find it much easier to commit that way and to be loyal. People so often think that if someone is lonely, they need romance... I completely disagree with a basic notion like that. It's only one possibility, especially for middle-aged people (I'm that too, 46) who are not so driven by hormones anymore. I sometimes find that people lose interest when it becomes clear I don't have romantic interests in them, but then the best is to move on if they cannot accept it because it means our motives are not compatible. For me, it is not as simple as socializing with the gender I am not into because I can be interested in any, so I usually need to deal with this and communicate head-on.

I agree that you seem to be be using this thread very well to process and discuss various aspects of your roadblocks to sobriety and other elements of your life. It is quite engaging, too. I don't read/post too much on SR now (used to, from a different account years ago) but come back here because I feel drawn to the way you discuss things - really looking at your part and not becoming defensive. This is definitely not the case for every poster on this forum and you kinda lose the motivation to support when it is met with a closed mind over and over again. It seems to me that the main area you need to focus is really the action part - tackling your drinking actively and figuring out how to remain sober from experience. You already seem to have the theoretical parts and leaning figured out but need to put it into practice. You mentioned that yourself earlier. This is very relatable for me because I was the same way, far too long. I felt I knew so many things about addiction and recovery, could even advise others, but failed to make it happen for myself. That's one way I immediately related to your thread title and OP. So maybe try to do those tasks you planned now and don't let yourself being distracted by all those familiar old things. I know it is much easier saying than doing but it's doable!
Hi Aellyce Thanks very much for the what I consider a huge compliment, I do try hard not to be closed minded about anything. I've never mastered the knack of being able to see myself as blameless in any situation where I should carry some responsibility for they way things are, much as I would like to be able to do that haha. I think a closed mind would be just too claustrophobic, sitting with your own stale old ideas and not letting any fresh ones in (please don't bring in my attitude to knit and natter which is a perfect example of a closed mind ). Of course sometimes I need a third party to give me a push to see more objectively!

Graphic Art? Sounds interesting, I would love to be computer savvy, but my old mum in her late 70s is more computer savvy than me! I would love to make my own youtube channel and have daily rants on it.
I do, do a little crochet (squares) and I do find the rhythmic movements relaxing. I did read somewhere that the repetitive movements in knitting and crochet put your brain into a similar state as meditation.
I actually talked to quite a few people on my walk today (even though the sun went in as soon as I stepped out and it rained a bit too). Quite a few of them were older people, I enjoyed it, just talking to new people and not sitting looking at these 4 walls.
Someone had a dog on an extendable lead that started to follow me. A miniature pug that reminded me of my middle grandson, with it's cheeky little face, I felt quite a bond with it . I can feel knit and natter getting closer 😒

I'm sorry about your ex, thats very sad. I agree, at my age, with my past, I'm just not that bothered about romantic partners. I always had more fun with my girlfriends than romantic partners anyway.

You are right, I'm all mouth and no action, but today..TA-DA..I weeded the front garden! The thing I made such a big deal of the other day, was done in a couple of hours.
I do feel better when I actually DO something. Even more better (betterer, how do you say more than better) when it's something I said I was going to do

EDIT Yes the Lakes, love the place. My daughter has her wedding booked there for August, 18 months in the planning, 3 day event and now looks like it won't go ahead
Not a better place to hike either. Unfortunately I don't have a car, so can't get myself to these scenic places to hike. But if I can bully someone into coming with me, who has got a car, I'll certainly do that!!

Old 07-14-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Well I have to say it.

Your daughter is planning a wedding?!?! During Covid?

No wonder she's a bit short with you. Could there possibly be anything more stressful?

The knit and natter ladies would commiserate with you about that. From opposite ends of the table(s) of course.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:51 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your daughter's wedding plans. It's unfortunate timing, of course, and she must be so disappointed. Will she be able to postpone the event or plan something for just very immediate family?

I'm glad you did some work in the garden and felt good about it. That's what it's all about.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:07 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Doriss, I'm happy to hear you inadvertently enjoyed being on your walk. I go every day. As you've already figured out, if you don't like your current emotional state, just give it ten minutes and it will change. That's always the case. One particularly good part about being sober is my brain doesn't lock on to things and ruminate endlessly. I am able to just move on to the next fleeting thought and not ruin a whole day over something someone said.

Nice to see Aellyce and Miss Perfumado here. Two of my favorite posters.
Hi Bimini, yes walking in the fresh air helps, loads!! even if it wasn't planned! I only planned to go to the PO yesterday to hand in a cheque that council tax place sent me as a refund.
But then discovered it would take much longer to clear than if I went to the bank. So I just stomped out of the PO and kept stomping until I'd reached the city centre which is about 2 miles away.
Stood outside in a mega long queue ( everyone 2 meters apart of course...not). I was in that queue for half hour, and only 2 people disappeared around the corner where the front door of the bank was (we were all queuing up the side wall of the bank).

Then I noticed this little old lady at the front of "our queue" wasn't even looking around the corner to see if it was her turn. On further investigation the woman in front of me and I found out that a "mini" queue had formed at the door of the bank and were pushing in first!!. That old lady breathing with a mask on had steamed her glasses up and I think she was a little disorientated!

Then, to add insult to injury, a woman who worked in the bank came out and said anyone with a cheque could put it in the machine outside the bank, that didn't have any queue to use..half an hour before someone came and said that! And only because there was a bit of a rebellion over the queue jumping incident.

I'll answer your next post here too. Yes, my daughter has been planning this wedding for 18 months, bless her, then not that covid struck so much, but the restrictions struck!!
I KNOW it's been ultra stressful for her!! And my heart breaks that she is facing all this disappointment after all her hard work.

The reason we had the last arguement though, was because she was blaming me for something that wasn't even my fault (was the fault of her future sister in law, but my daughter didn't want to confront her about it). And she was just taking it out on me for no reason. I tried to be understanding of the fact that she was stressed, that she has to actually live beside her fiances family so doesn't want to make waves there. But then I started to get a bit hurt with the fact she seemed to be holding this grudge for something I didn't even do (lets face it, I she has plenty of reasons to hold a grudge for things I HAVE done).
I absolutely know she's under stress. I wasn't thinking of myself as "needy" as she called me, I wanted to get across the message she can ring me anytime!

Anyway, after being told on here the way I must have been coming across to her, we talked today and sorted a lot out. I told her I was sorry for the way it must have seemed I was pressuring her. I have never told her the things I feel that I wrote on here, I never actually said to her I was having a hard time with her flying the nest or anything.
But it must have been as obvious to her as it was to you. So I've told her I was sorry for over stepping her boundries. She accepted my apologies. We agreed to put the whole fracas with the future SIL to bed. Then she aplogised to me for blaming me over something I had no part in. Then we had a pleasant conversation.

What you say about the passing moods Bimini, that's the trouble, sometimes they are not passing. With my OCD sometimes the same thoughts can go round and round in my head for DAYS and I am not exaggerating. And that's why it was such a relief to find people on here were right, don't just sit with the bloody things, get up and DO something ANYTHING and then they are not so sticky!
Thanks for that advice you gave me the other day, helped me tremendously with my daughter.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:12 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Well I have to say it.

Your daughter is planning a wedding?!?! During Covid?

No wonder she's a bit short with you. Could there possibly be anything more stressful?

The knit and natter ladies would commiserate with you about that. From opposite ends of the table(s) of course.
The way restrictions are, I can't even be in the same room as someone not in my "bubble" 😒
Old 07-14-2020, 11:15 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

That long post: excellent.

Those OCD thoughts? Honest to goodness, Doriss, me and 10,000 other drunks on this site will vouch for the fact that they are 99% caused by alcohol.

In a few months after quitting drinking I realized I wasn't holding on to stuff, my brain wasn't on Spin Cycle any more and I was able to just let go.

I hope you stick with the sobriety thing long enough to feel that kind of relief. I know it's hard to believe. I hope others will chime in on this too. It's a thing!!

Peace. That's what long-term sobriety feels like.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm sorry about your daughter's wedding plans. It's unfortunate timing, of course, and she must be so disappointed. Will she be able to postpone the event or plan something for just very immediate family?

I'm glad you did some work in the garden and felt good about it. That's what it's all about.
Hi Anna, she can't postpone the wedding, she has to wait until the venue does, or her insurance won't pay out. They won't have a smaller wedding they said and there is 80 catered for. They have been offered a date in November (not exactly the summer wedding she wanted, the Lakes can be quite bleak in winter). But if they want a summer wedding at this same venue there is a 2 year waiting list, they booked this one 18 months or so ago.
The venue she wants includes accommodation for both our and fiances close family over 3 days, so they want to see what happens about November because won't be able to get anything like that again within the next year anywhere.
Myself I can't see them ever lifting restrictions fully, ever.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even be bothered that much by these restrictions, but I have a personal vendetta because of the way it has affected my daughter

EDIT The annoying thing is, she has worked as a nurse with covid patients since this began, a lot of the time without PPE, there hasn't been any new admissions on her ward for weeks but she still can't have her wedding!

Last edited by Dee74; 07-14-2020 at 05:39 PM. Reason: refer PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:49 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

That long post: excellent.

Those OCD thoughts? Honest to goodness, Doriss, me and 10,000 other drunks on this site will vouch for the fact that they are 99% caused by alcohol.

In a few months after quitting drinking I realized I wasn't holding on to stuff, my brain wasn't on Spin Cycle any more and I was able to just let go.

I hope you stick with the sobriety thing long enough to feel that kind of relief. I know it's hard to believe. I hope others will chime in on this too. It's a thing!!

Peace. That's what long-term sobriety feels like.
Thanks for this bimini I'll take your word for it
Old 07-15-2020, 12:35 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Dosiss - have you explored H.G. Tudor's website? It's not for the faint of heart and probably not for early sobriety, but definitely about one aspect you shared about yourself. Can be better than alcohol, if you are committed and daring. I was there for a few months because I identified with the owner of the blog... sadly.

The blogger is one of the deepest introspective person I've met, who makes a business out of it and still does it - it is ridiculous but can be irresistible if you have that "predisposition". As I said, not for the faint of heart, and *addiction warning*.