Notices

I feel amazing.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Anxious Rock - don't go to the liquor store. It will make things so much worse. I recently had a streak of terrible anxiety and I also have some RLS. I finally went to the doctor about it and was prescribed some medication. Perhaps you should see a doctor about the RLS, if you have not already. I know that when your legs are doing that crap its awful. I find taking an advil sometimes helps. Often I end up curled in a ball with my legs underneath me and putting me weight on my legs. This seems to help but the problem is when I fall asleep in that position, then my legs go numb and it's pins and needles when I finally stretch them out.

I know it's an awful predicament but I'm hoping you don't reach for the booze.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
Anxious Rock - don't go to the liquor store. It will make things so much worse. I recently had a streak of terrible anxiety and I also have some RLS. I finally went to the doctor about it and was prescribed some medication. Perhaps you should see a doctor about the RLS, if you have not already. I know that when your legs are doing that crap its awful. I find taking an advil sometimes helps. Often I end up curled in a ball with my legs underneath me and putting me weight on my legs. This seems to help but the problem is when I fall asleep in that position, then my legs go numb and it's pins and needles when I finally stretch them out.

I know it's an awful predicament but I'm hoping you don't reach for the booze.
I know booze will make my anxiety worse but help my restless legs. I asked my Dr about this and she said there are no meds for it? That was a while ago so perhaps things have changed.
I have been trying to sleep all around the house in different places and positions lol
I even tried napping today but of course the neighbour's are getting a new roof and those guys are loud! Music, nail guns, yelling etc.
I am still sober and trying my best to make it through this craving but my exhaustion and social anxiety for tonight are making it hard and giving me excuses!
Old 07-17-2020, 11:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Just to be clear - I did not get medication for RLS, it was for anxiety :-) You know those big vibrating massagers advertised for neck pain - well, that might help your legs.

I'm glad you have not gone to the liquor store.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
Just to be clear - I did not get medication for RLS, it was for anxiety :-) You know those big vibrating massagers advertised for neck pain - well, that might help your legs.

I'm glad you have not gone to the liquor store.
oh!!! I have meds. I just have anxiety attacks sometimes too.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

AnxiousRock, I believed there were no meds for RLS too, for a long time. I tried massages, peppermint oil, ice but the only thing that helped was walking around, which I would do night after night. After nearly 20 years of endless sleepless night due to RLS, I finally decided enough was enough. I was at a point where flying on an airplane had become so, so difficult. You can't just stand up and walk around whenever you want on a plane. I couldn't sit still in movie theatres either. So, I went to the doctor and I am SO glad I did. She suggested a very low dose of gabapentin and it's worked wonders for me. This is just my experience and I know there are no perfect cures for RLS, but I want you to have hope.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Why not just stay home and sleep rather than go to comedy club?

Old 07-17-2020, 01:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
AnxiousRock, I believed there were no meds for RLS too, for a long time. I tried massages, peppermint oil, ice but the only thing that helped was walking around, which I would do night after night. After nearly 20 years of endless sleepless night due to RLS, I finally decided enough was enough. I was at a point where flying on an airplane had become so, so difficult. You can't just stand up and walk around whenever you want on a plane. I couldn't sit still in movie theatres either. So, I went to the doctor and I am SO glad I did. She suggested a very low dose of gabapentin and it's worked wonders for me. This is just my experience and I know there are no perfect cures for RLS, but I want you to have hope.
yes it was a while ago i asked so perhaps it is time to try again. I need something. I exercise more now and it's gotten worse. I have to do something.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Why not just stay home and sleep rather than go to comedy club?
I am staying home now. It's raining so they moved it and I don't want to be around drunk people that closely lol.
I have alcohol but havent drank yet. I'm trying super hard with distracting myself.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi anxiousrock. I read somewhere it was a magnesium deficiency. It might be worth asking your doctor because if you take magnesium supplements I think you have to balance it out with zinc supplements too, so might be worth asking doc. RLS is the worst! I asked my doctor for magnesium and zinc and it worked for me
Old 07-17-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Also, alcohol causes magnesium deficiencies (as well as many other)
Old 07-17-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that Magnesium worked for you, Doriss. That was what my doctor recommended to try first and it really didn't make much difference to me. I know there is no 'one fix' for RLS so I'm glad it helped you.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Having alcohol around doesn't seem like a too good idea AR. It would make me feel even more anxious. A tug-a-war I'd never win.

Glad you stayed in from the rain. I know what you mean about not wanting to be around drunk people. They remind me too much of myself. Eek!
Old 07-17-2020, 02:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad that Magnesium worked for you, Doriss. That was what my doctor recommended to try first and it really didn't make much difference to me. I know there is no 'one fix' for RLS so I'm glad it helped you.
Thanks, me too It had something to do with the balance between magnesium and zinc.
Glad you found relief too Anna
Hope you find something to fix you up too anxiousrock
Old 07-18-2020, 12:49 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Doriss View Post
Also, alcohol causes magnesium deficiencies (as well as many other)
This was not my worst fear.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I understand that, was just giving an idea what might be the cause of your RLS
Old 07-18-2020, 01:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Having alcohol around doesn't seem like a too good idea AR. It would make me feel even more anxious. A tug-a-war I'd never win.

Glad you stayed in from the rain. I know what you mean about not wanting to be around drunk people. They remind me too much of myself. Eek!
I drank a bit but oddly only about half what I normally do. I have a bad toe right now i need to watch..... very infected. Did not go out.