Notices

Back to day 1

Old 07-23-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Orchid1 View Post
That AV is coming at me strong today! Jeez!
I don't know that it will ever go away. But you can learn how to drown out its voice with the sounds of things you enjoy - even if they're just more productive thoughts. I tend to think about the house I want to build and design. I love everything about it.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:51 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I’ve had a few days here that I wanted a drink. But so far I just do something else until it passes. Day 26 almost over.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:38 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I tried eating potato chips, soda, even ice cream and it just dulled it. My mind is really set on hot chocolate even if it's 1000 degrees outside. I can tell it will be strong again before the day is over, I will try the future building thing... I also need to go get ice to chew on, my fridge doesn't make them, it helped once when I went for 7 days.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are other things that help too - exercise, urge surfing, posting to other people...
don't let a craving dictate your behavior!

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D
Old 07-23-2020, 06:10 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Orchid1 View Post
I tried eating potato chips, soda, even ice cream and it just dulled it. My mind is really set on hot chocolate even if it's 1000 degrees outside. I can tell it will be strong again before the day is over, I will try the future building thing... I also need to go get ice to chew on, my fridge doesn't make them, it helped once when I went for 7 days.
For the record - I tried a frozen hot chocolate yesterday from DQ and I was shocked at how OMG Yum-O it was. Where has it been all my life? If you love hot chocolate as much as I do, you might just dig the frozen kind. It's mucho delish!!
Old 07-23-2020, 08:25 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Dee I'm not sure how to not let it control my action you know, any action I take to elevate the craving is not something I would do at that time. But I think you may mean I shouldn't give into it?

Lumen thanks for the tip! I'm usually not a sweets kinda person but i'm letting the sugar crave in for now to get over the cravings!

Went to the store to buy the hot chocolate... I avoided the alcohol area but had to go around it alittle...It.was.painful...It was like a magnet and the more I avoided it the more nauseous I got, like I was going to throw up at the store! As soon as I left I was fine, i'm glad of that association though, see booze section=nauseous. I will avoid the store for a while.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:39 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry

maybe to be clearer that should have been
don't let a craving dictate any addictive behavior!
positive responses and behaviour is great.

D
Old 07-23-2020, 08:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Always the wise one Dee😊

It passed and I can confidently say, I did not drink today, I was grateful of 5 things, I exercised and I will improve my skill for at least 10 min before I go to bed.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:17 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

What is wrong with me??

I was doing so well, then my life starts getting better and poof! I know I am blessed and very fortunate, it does not take too much effort on my part to be 'successful', so now that I'd gone without drinking, living my mantra for the past 9 or so days, contacted by a recruiter for a decent job, recommended for another great one with unbelievable pay for my experience...and my anxiety is through the roof! I've drank half a bottle because my life is going well??? Sober my failures are because I MM. failed but drunk...well...I was drunk. What is wrong with me.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

We are alcoholics Orchid. That is our situation and like having any other disease, we can usually get better if we follow the science, do what we know will keep us healthy, and be vigilant for what might make it worse. Those high times can be some of the biggest triggers with folks I think. Let's celebrate!!! - our dirty AV's at work right there.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank to celebrate as well as commiserate.

I also drank when things were going well and looked like getting better because one one level I felt I didn't deserve good things, and because a change is still scary.

You can spend hours, days, weeks even thinking about why you drink but I think it's way better just to put all your effort into not drinking

D
Old 07-30-2020, 06:53 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

So what am I to do? How am I to do that? Am I that lost a cause? No but. Life sucks I drink, life is good drink... When will I not
Old 07-30-2020, 07:04 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You won't drink when you want to be sober MORE than you want to drink. Not easy, but very simple.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:14 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

You know the answers Orchid. The answers don't satisfy you because you already know that moving from daily drinking to being sober is REALLY tough work. Don't feign ignorance though. I know you know this stuff. You are merely having trouble swallowing it all and giving up the battle.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:35 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

in my experience, ANY strong-ish emotion made me want to run. the bottle was the always-go-to.
so when i quit, i was stuck with me and sitting with whatever emotion i was feeling.
distraction often worked, activity worked, phoning someone, reading recovery stuff, all those kinds of things.
it isn’t life being one way or another; it’s you not knowing how to “be” with life in whatever way it shows up.
it is learnable, in a variety of ways.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:50 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
in my experience, ANY strong-ish emotion made me want to run. the bottle was the always-go-to.
so when i quit, i was stuck with me and sitting with whatever emotion i was feeling.
distraction often worked, activity worked, phoning someone, reading recovery stuff, all those kinds of things.
it isn’t life being one way or another; it’s you not knowing how to “be” with life in whatever way it shows up.
it is learnable, in a variety of ways.
This is my experience as well. My addiction doesn’t discern bad from good. Only intense from mundane. If there is anything that rises above banal, it’s time to drink. I want to numb bad feelings and I don’t trust good ones.

Thanks for expressing that fini.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:37 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
You know the answers Orchid. The answers don't satisfy you because you already know that moving from daily drinking to being sober is REALLY tough work. Don't feign ignorance though. I know you know this stuff. You are merely having trouble swallowing it all and giving up the battle.
Surrendered your words angered me but in all honesty it's because they spoke truth.

My character flaws should be mended not drowned.

Dee, fini thank you, BABM i'm glad fini's words resonated.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:12 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Yeah, I used to get angry all the time with some of the stuff people wrote about getting and staying sober......and for the same reasons as you Orchid.....because it was all true and I didn't want to hear it or believe it.

It's that old thing about there is no way around, only through this. I know personally, for a long time, I just wanted a fix. A pill, a therapy, a situation that would fix this thing, so I didn't have to deal with it anymore. But the only fix is day to day graft and eventually it starts to get easier and you get used to being sober, living sober and coping with yourself sober.

You can do Orchid...you just need a solid plan.

I wrote a thread on here once about being in denial. I thought that must be it.....I was in denial and that is why I was still drinking. Someone wrote that it didn't sound like denial, it sounded like a lack of commitment to being sober and man, that pissed me off! But guess what? It was the truest thing I had ever heard and working on my commitment has made the difference for me.

We've got your back
Old 07-31-2020, 06:16 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

We are with you 100% Orchid. I hope you can make today your Day 1. You are worthy of a healthy, quiet and peaceful life. You deserve that.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:38 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thank you Gabe, Surrendered, this is my day 1 again, yesterday was just a slip up.