Step into the Weekend - Weekenders 10-13 July 2020

Old 07-14-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Fingers crossed for you, MLD.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That girl plays a nice guitar.

Fingers crossed someone sees sense Marty.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Marty really sending you good wishes. I also work in a state university system so can empathize how painful this is for you and the worry for coworkers.

There was bloodbath of layoffs in my college of my peers a few years ago due to crazy Governor refusing to pass a state budget and it was heartbreaking. Systems don’t take people into account nearly enough.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:12 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

No rain with clouds Mags.
The last big thing before covid was those bushfires- because of the huge amount of dry fuel (bracken, dead weeds- overgrown trees etc) around, because of little rain. Nothing has changed in that respect.
Supporting a struggling (depression0 friend, by collecting her and another friend for big walk in a national park later.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:12 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Remember to look after your health MLD. HALTS and all that.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:58 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I really am trying to see a bright side here, but it's hard. I realize times are very very hard all around, and this is happening to lots of people, many of them not as lucky as I am to have savings for a while. This was supposed to be my last job before retirement. I do not want to have to reinvent myself or look for another job. But if it comes down to it, I'll do whatever it takes. If that means finding another job, so be it. I just worry because the last time I was unemployed (by choice that time while I went back to school to try to change careers), my drinking went off the rails. So I'm kind of scared. I am not the same person I was then, but it's still on my mind all the time, and it brings back some really bad memories and feelings. Today was the first day in months that I wanted a cigarette. I quit 9 months ago. I'm safe at home and I won't be leaving to go buy cigarettes, but it was a craving that kind of took me by surprise. No craving for alcohol ATM, so that's good. I'm making a healthy dinner, having some tea, trying to relax. It's pretty much out of my hands now. Trying to let it go. They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they let any of us go completely, so I'm hoping at this point that they cut our hours, take some duties off our job descriptions, and let us retain employment. I know for a fact that there are a few who will will have to leave if they get cut too much. I won't
have to, and for that I'm thankful, as long as I retain about 75% of my appointment.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:04 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope things work out for you MLD.

D
Old 07-14-2020, 05:52 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Fingers crossed for you Marty, hopefully you will still be employed after the decisions are made.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:26 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

MLD I hope you get some answers soon, fear of the unknown is worse than getting the facts. I'm sure once you know exactly whats what you will be able to adjust to the situation.

Yes Mags we are all going to be masked up for shopping now. I hope its not forever. Living alone, I like to see smiling faces when I go out. Despite being law, according to my Dad, it's not being enforced properly on the buses. I think winter is going to be tough.

No drinking dreams last night BUT I did dream about chocolate cake! Ha ha the inner addict never rests.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:41 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Marty, hoping for the right result for you, but I know you’ll be okay once you get your head around it. I think also it’s like you feel your life is in their hands, on hold until they make a decision. Is it worth writing down all the scenarios that could happen and how you plan to deal with each one. Sometimes it makes more sense written down. Also puts things into perspective.

Kaily, check out peoples eyes, they smile a lot more with their eyes than their mouths. Unless it’s the Lone Ranger, you can’t see his eyes for his mask.

PJ, I was just thinking of you all in Aussie this morning, and the terrible fires you had. Hope your friend feels better.
Going for a drive to the seaside today to visit my sister and brother in law and their new dog (From a rescue kennels) that we haven’t met yet. They’ve rented a caravan mid week near the beach. So we’ll be socially distancing visiting. Haven’t seen them since beginning of the year.

Take care, see you later. xx
Old 07-15-2020, 06:35 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

That's a good idea, Mags, I should do that. I do have hope that I can keep my job, but at a reduced number of hours. Honestly, I'd be ok financially if that ends up being the case. At first even that seemed like it was untenable, but I crunched some numbers and I can make it work. Especially now that my kid is going to be living away from home in a month and a half - bills will go down some (her college is paid for 100%, thank you thank you universe, for that!!). Less food, less electricity, less water, etc. I bet that saves me $150-$200 a month. And I do have savings that I knew I'd need to use at retirement, and that I already use to supplement my income - I'll just have to dip into that more, and be more frugal in general. It'll be ok as long as I can hang onto the job somehow. If not, I'll be on the job market yet again.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Mr

Courage to you Marty !

Indeed world economies are taking a hit.
Toulouse is one of the european capitals of aeronautics and aviation (Airbus)
Alot of jobs are disappearing at the moment...

Have a good day friends !

https://youtu.be/d9eNyWFT64o

Old 07-15-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Alfie went right up a tree today. I wasn't camera ready but caught him on the way back down.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:15 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Great photo of Alfie Kaily
Who knew dogs could climb trees?
Old 07-15-2020, 05:52 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Alfie is cool.
You are thinking proactively Marty, very well done.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:38 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Marty

Kaily, great pic of Alfie. Was he looking for squirrels up the tree, I wonder?
Old 07-15-2020, 11:44 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, flying ants everywhere this morning.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:55 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Magsie

New Thread Begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-2020-a.html (Weekenders Warriors, Weekenders 17 - 20 July 2020)