Notices

Step into the Weekend - Weekenders 10-13 July 2020

Old 07-13-2020, 12:05 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, today is International Puzzle Day in honour of Dr Erno Rubik whi was born on 13th July 1940.

I would set a puzzle but it's Monday morning and my brain couldn't handle that level of concentration.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20200713_075548-372x487.jpg (81.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 07-13-2020, 01:08 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Congratulations Hawkeye.

Well done Willow and Captain.

I am going for a haircut today. Having long hair I only go twice a year covid or not. I go to a salon where the staff barely speak English so that I don't have to chat! I never know what to say ... . My hay-fever is pretty bad, I hope they don't think I have the virus.

This impressive looking beast was on my kitchen window yesterday.

Have a good Monday all.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:33 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

thanks Kaily
That’s a beautiful moth. At least I think it’s a moth?

Great photo Vinny, looks like fun
Old 07-13-2020, 02:39 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

That is such a lovely pic Vman.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:48 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Kaily, I’ve heard of a thing called a tiger moth, but that was in relation to a WWI biplane. That must be its entomological namesake you caught there!

Nice pic Vinny! Enjoy the getaway. Looks like you have lovely sunny weather over there. Not sure what is in that large blue barrel, but I know it’s not booze!
Old 07-13-2020, 05:19 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Huge congrats Hawkeye.

Great pictures. Probably the closest I will ever come to seeing the Adelaide coast or the Gorges du Tarn. Cool moth kaily.

Cap, I wonder if the Tigermoth was the predecessor of the famed WWII Mosquitoe? Only an amateur at best, but I've long been fascinated with the history of military aviation during that period.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:55 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Monday!

Congratulations on a year, Hawkeye!! Fantastic!

I don't really feel happy that it's Monday, but I do feel good that I put another sober weekend on the books. I believe that was sober weekend #268 for me - or close to that. Never gets old.

Got a home project nearly completed over the weekend. I have two doors that go from my garage to the outside (not the main garage door) and they were in dire need of painting. The other two doors I have that go to the outside were completely replaced last year. I thought about replacing these two, also, but to save some money I tackled painting them myself. This involved stripping old flaking paint from the wood frames, and cleaning and sanding the metal doors in preparation for a coat of white paint. The house was a different color when it was built, I guess, because these doors were tan, and the rest of the house is now white. It turned out ok, not perfect, but overall I'm pleased. These are doors that are not used much but the difference in color and the peeling paint finally got to me. It took several days to complete, because it's been so hot here and it required lots of prep work and 3 coats of paint. I still have a bit of touching up to do, which I will do at some point today.

Took my daughter who is starting college in 6 weeks (YIKES) shopping for some new clothes yesterday. We still have a LOT of stuff to buy to get ready for the move to the dorm, but most of it can be done online. It's really starting to hit me that I'll be an empty nester soon. I try not to think about it too much because it makes me sad. I have had a kid in the house for 29 years (my other daughter just turned 29). It's going to be a major adjustment for me and I'm not looking forward to it. I will be extremely busy at work right when she leaves, since I also work at a university and with all the COVID stuff and returning to campus I will have my hands very full. I guess that's a good thing. Honestly, I have been fantasizing that I could just... retire. I COULD, if I really wanted to, but I am too young for that, really, and I would be much smarter to stick it out for another 7-8 years.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:44 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Well, I got some very distressing news on the job front this morning. I thought my job was safe for now, but I guess not. I don't think I will lose it completely, but I do think my hours are going to be cut significantly. Nothing is for sure yet but it's looking that way. I'm in a bit of a panic right now.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:55 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

You're going to work everything out, MLD. You were just talking about retiring so I'm guessing you have enough money to get by for a few months? This can't go on like this forever.

At least that is my prayer.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:02 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I can survive for a few months, yes, and longer if I have to. If my job is eliminated or my hours cut there is no coming back from that. The cuts are considered permanent. That's the way funding works at the state level. Once a budget is cut, it takes years to bring it back. Yeah, if it were a matter of cutting the budget until things get better I would be in less of a panic. But that's not the case here. I need the job for several reasons, not the least of which is the health insurance. I can't really just not have a job, not yet, anyway.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Grat photos Kaily, VMan! I think that's a Jersey Tiger moth, I saw something about those on the London news recently but I can't remember what it said about them.

That's a real bummer about your job Marty. It seems like very short term thinking by someone.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:00 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Congratulations Hawkeye.

Well done Willow and Captain.

I am going for a haircut today. Having long hair I only go twice a year covid or not. I go to a salon where the staff barely speak English so that I don't have to chat! I never know what to say ... . My hay-fever is pretty bad, I hope they don't think I have the virus.

This impressive looking beast was on my kitchen window yesterday.

Have a good Monday all.
BiB: I finally got mine cut this morning! First time in over four months. I think the last time I went longer without having a haircut was probably back in the early 80s.

That is an impressive looking beast that was on your kitchen window. I'm assuming it's a moth and not a butterfly? For some reason it's making me feel itchy.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:05 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Sorry to read about your job situation MLD51. Have you been told your hours will be cut significantly?
Old 07-13-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your job Marty. Things will hopefully work out ok.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:55 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy Bastille Day Weekenders.

Have a grrreat day VMan!

More roller skating girls.

https://youtu.be/z2Ve53qArKI

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20200714_073646-515x281.jpg (76.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 07-14-2020, 02:31 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Salut tout le monde - liberté, égalité, fraternité, fromage pour tous!

quelque chose en français que j'aime bien:

https://www.youtu.be/watch?v=2aeC2fvYQJc

edit: where's the "post youtube" button gone?
Old 07-14-2020, 02:34 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

MLD, I'm sure it will work out somehow.

Thinking about taking my bluetooth speaker with me this morning so I can stream disco in the car for at least part of my four hours of driving today.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:59 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
edit: where's the "post youtube" button gone?

Old 07-14-2020, 04:46 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Magsie

Afternoon Weekenders

Vinny and vinnyson, enjoy your canoeing, great pic.

Kaily that’s a nice beast, it does look mothy shaped. Yep. Hope your sneezing stops before you have your hair cut. Could have a new style otherwise.

Face Masks are mandatory in England, from 24th July in England.I think that’s right. It could change before then. May go for the whole diving suit look.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:18 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I have not been told yet that my hours will be cut any more than they already have. The decisions are still being made, but it seems inevitable to me. Already, I have been warned that most likely I will be forced to sit out the whole month of July every year. I can live with that, and I'm hoping that's the end of it. But I won't know for a few days yet. There's a big meeting this morning. I am sure the powers that be will be having a very lively discussion about this. There are 14 people in my unit whose jobs are on the line, and we are an integral part of the operations here. So I'm just waiting.