Notices

Step into the Weekend - Weekenders 10-13 July 2020

Old 07-10-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I played disco in the boat the whole time a couple of weeks ago on our family trip and I think it's the first time that everyone liked the boat music.

My wife's dog wouldn't eat once, which is very uncharacteristic. The vet said she had kennel cough, which was an easy fix.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Bim that cushion with kittens in the vw is gorgeous

Marty I’m glad that Chauncey is feeling better ❤️

Kaily I agree about the moon too, I think it really affects our moods. It affects the ocean so much, and we’re mostly water, so why not us too?

Sao, Bim and Cityboy there’s nothing like a bit of disco music to get us smiling on the inside and jiggling and dancing
I used to dance on my rollerskates, but I was never anywhere near as good as the girl in that video, despite what I might have thought back then lol

I’m feeling a lot better today now that it’s Saturday. I had a lot of anticipatory anxiety over what I knew was going to be a stressful day at work yesterday, and it was, but an early night and a good sleep, and waking up hangover-free on a glorious Saturday morning has restored my equilibrium
I just have to stay away from media and not think about anything outside of my own little world.

I hope you all have a good day (or night on the other side of the globe)
Old 07-10-2020, 07:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

So we can get our groove on. The gals look hip- but the guys just look a bit creepy to me.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:05 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Lol PJ I agree
Old 07-10-2020, 10:52 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Gosh I was worn out after yesterday. I wore my visor at my step mums, she’s deaf but hasn’t told herself yet so I was hoarse when I left.She does well though and been as fit as a fiddle until 2 or 3 years ago. Can you believe it, she’d never been in hospital until she was 91! The nurses thought she was brilliant. Sadly though, she’s having a few health problems nowadays.

Marty, yaaay, so happy Chauncey ate. Big hugs from Aunty Mags

PJ, I like the hippy look, yeah those guys look a bit creepy. I had a pair of flared jeans with embroidery flowers on them. I saw myself as a bit of a hippy.

Saou, I agree, it must be hard for younger people being on lockdown. It must be so frustrating for them. If I’d been younger when the virus came, I would’ve been stubborn and hot-headed. Not intentionally wanting to hurt anyone but there’s no way I could’ve stayed at home for 12 weeks or so, and nobody would’ve made me. Yeah I’d probably end up in jail. What a fool I would’ve been. Then again, if we’d had the internet I might have been ok.

A couple of pictures from the beach. The tide was almost in and there was someone swimming in the water. Made me cold just to see him/her.

https://postimages.org/][/url]

https://postimages.org/][/url]

Looking forward to a relaxing sober weekend.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:15 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Morning Mags - thanks for the thread - I'm in!

Stepping into the weekend is a great theme. One step (or day) at a time is indeed the way to achieve the goal that we yearn for but early on never seem to be able to achieve - the goal of lasting sobriety.

What a week it has been. Starting my new job (at last) has come as a shock to the system as it means early starts every day. Up until now I had been a night owl, having lazy days and working at my best in the evenings. No more! The company's Skype setup shows my boss exactly when I'm at my desk but that's OK - it keeps me accountable. I'm not sure how software project management works remotely yet and neither are they but they have asked me to do some research and make suggestions - I nice little vote of confidence for week one :-)

I had a really nice call from my alcohol counsellor a few days ago. She is working from home also. We discussed my progress and she offered full support should I need it embarking on the new job. I mentioned SR, as I always do and she said she would take another look. It is very kind of her to take such a keen interest 18 months in and I am very grateful for her support. Along with a particularly good mental health nurse I had when I first got sober, they made a killer team!

A video call with my folks to look forward to next this morning. Then the sun is shining so I'll take a stroll to the waterfront. All good stuff.... Anyway, must get on but warm wishes to all. Stay close, stay safe and stay sober this weekend friends. Forwards.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Magsie

Forwards, I’m glad your first week in your new job went well.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:38 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Great photos Mags, is that a restaurant at the end of the jetty?
I’m glad you got to see your stepmum ❤️

Sounds like a good first week Forwards
Glad you get to see your folks on video call ❤️

It’s coming up to 2 years since I lost both of my parents and I’m feeling a bit more sad and reminiscing about them the last couple of days ❤️
Old 07-11-2020, 01:14 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders.

As always, nice to read your positive posts, Forwards.

Off now on a few errands. See you later.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:15 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Glad you got to the beach Mags, nice pics.

Forwards I am always impressed by how much you have turned your life around. Great that you get good help from the mental health team. I had an dual diagnosis counsellor but didn't manage to get sober until a year after our sessions had finished.

Vman giving to charity is a great thing to do. Good on you! So pleased you are doing well.

Morning Bim in about 4 hours time.

Willow sorry you are feeling sad but pleased you have another sober weekend underway.

PJ great outfits!

Cityboy a disco family boat trip sounds fun.

Captain, how are you? All good I hope.

Ugh drinking dreams again for me. Goodness did I get drunk and ended up arrested in America. All I wanted was to come home but wasn't allowed to fly as I was a criminal, and I lost my purse. It was like a disaster movie.

Here's my contribution to disco following Sao's lead.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:35 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Just found out Alanis Morisette is playing Dublin in October 2021 with support from Liz Phair. I've always really wanted to see them both in concert. The show was almost sold out and the only tickets available were €183. But I said screw it and bought one. I'll save a lot of money not drinking over the next year after all. On such a high now I have this concert to look forward to.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:55 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

It’s coming up to 2 years since I lost both of my parents and I’m feeling a bit more sad and reminiscing about them the last couple of days ❤️
Two years is still early days, Willow.
Lovingly accept those reminiscences.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:59 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks Caramel. I still miss them so much ❤️
Old 07-11-2020, 03:04 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Willow, sorry you are feeling sad about the loss of your parents. I hope you are having a nice evening.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:12 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Welcome freedomfries. I was at one of her concerts in South Africa many years ago and it was a great show. Hope you enjoy!

Best to you Willow. They sometimes give me grey hairs, but I dread the day that my parents will no longer be there.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:26 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Magsie

Willow, so sorry, You will be feeling such a loss and though it’s nearly two years your mum and dad passed, it can feel raw. Give yourself some time to grieve. I understand how you’re feeling. Take it steady over the next few days.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:33 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Magsie

Willow, the small pier is a fish restaurant called ‘Papa’s fish restaurant’. It’s very popular and It gets so busy. (It was a nightclub once and a long time before then it had all nighter Northern Soul Nights).
Old 07-11-2020, 06:45 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

That YouTube channel with the video that Sao linked (with rollerskate-tube-top girl) is now in my subscription list. KM. They do some really good music/dance videos. Thanks for that, Sao.

Willow, all my family is gone. It sucks, no two ways around it. Not like there is anything I can do about it, and self-pity is one of those dangerous rabbit holes. One thing I use is that I know they would want me to take care of myself and the amounts of alcohol I drank are definitely not in the taking-care-of-myself category. I still think of them daily even after many many years, so I think they are likely still with me in some way. Sometimes I even say, "Go away and give it a rest, will ya?" Seems they still have Guidance to share.

Great posts everyone.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:29 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sending positive vibes Willow, they would be impressed that you're sober i'm sure.

Glad the new job seems to be going well Forwards!

A pier is the perfect place (Plaice?) for fish and chips. Papa's looks good online.

Good to see you freedomfries.

Sorry about your drinking dreams Kaily, they are disconcerting for sure. I hope they won't recur. Cool vid, I have seen Earth Wind and Fire live (a long time ago 1981 or 1982)and they were just fantastic, really tight.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

In six months I can probably count on one hand how many drinking dreams I've had. Nicotine was a different story. In the last 15 years, there have been a lot of those. Very vivid too. The drinking seemed to cause a lot of vivid bad dreams.