Notices

Step into the Weekend - Weekenders 10-13 July 2020

Old 07-09-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

As for the weekend plans - I was supposed to go with my man friend to his cabin for 3 days, along with his siblings. I won't be going. I don't want to leave the dog with my kid (can't really, she has other plans this weekend) and I don't want to take him with me in case something goes wrong, and it doesn't seem smart to take him out of his normal surroundings right now. So instead I'll stay behind and work on things around the house. I'm quite bummed, but I gotta do the right thing.

I did do a bit of quick checking on the internet about dogs and eating, and I won't start to really worry until tomorrow if he doesn't eat. He's drinking water so he should be ok a bit longer.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I'm in for a sober weekend! For my wife and me, our drinking came to an end primarily for economic reasons. We were unemployed (and unemployable) as well as financially bankrupt. One morning, I was faced with the prospect of buying more wine at 10 am because we had already drank our day's ration, and that was when I reached out for help...

Marty, I hope your dog perks up soon!

The day is off to a wet start here, but the forecast calls for rain before 11 am then clearing to mostly sunny. Well, it better stop raining in five minutes then!

I'm happy on the sofa with two cats and a cup of coffee. Have a great day!

Old 07-09-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

MLD51 - I hope your dog will be better soon. Worth asking the vet now just to be sure. Best wishes
Old 07-09-2020, 12:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I might have to call the vet today and ask for advice about the food if he doesn't eat pretty soon here. He ate well on Tuesday night, and that was the last time he had more than a bite or two. That was before the antibiotics got into his system. He did go outside this morning to do his business, so that's all working fine.
Sorry, just tuning in.....also not doing well right now. So tuning out and daydreaming. Whatever.

SO.....about your sweet doggie....what are you feeding him now?

I can advise with love (with a massive amount of experience working for a vet) but it's silly if I don't know what you are feeding him now. s xxxxx
Old 07-09-2020, 12:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Marty honey ~ I worry about whether he is OK after not eating for well over 24 hours. Really. They can go downhill so fast. I would call the vet. I really would.

And I was going to suggest chicken breast and boiled white rice, but you probably know that already. s xx
Old 07-09-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders

Thanks Mags, a very relevant opening post, thank you, it really resonates with the current times and also with how I’m feeling at the moment.
”In difficult times you move forward in small steps “.....
”And the time will come when you can think about the future without crying “

Struggling with anxiety and sadness, mingled with guilt for feeling anxious and sad. But I’m determined to acknowledge my feelings and give them space without trying to hide from them, run from them, or drown them in drink like I have done in the past. I’m not going to drink away my feelings anymore. I’m going to just take small steps forward.

I posted this on the 24 hour thread this morning about acknowledging my feelings and giving them space.
I reminded myself that feelings are like the weather, they come and go, but they’re not who I am. I am the crystal clear sky that lies beneath the weather, calm and tranquil beneath the storms.
I’m trying to tap into that inner calm with slow deep breathing.

Marty I’m both of those wolves lol
I agree and think you should call the vet for advice, I’m sure they won’t mind at all. Let us know how he goes. I hope you’re feeling better about things soon. I think we’re all struggling in these uncertain times.

I often feel guilty for being upset when I know others are worse off, but I’m realising we shouldn’t invalidate our own feelings. We have the right to feel how we feel . I’m really trying to let go of guilt for the way I feel, it’s just another negative emotion that I need to acknowledge, accept and hopefully it might just go away, along with the other “stormy weather” currently crossing my sky.

And that cat going down the stairs is funny Bim, I think it’s just being silly And thank you for the encouragement. I hope you have a better week this week
Old 07-09-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. That was a great opening post.

I'm in for a sober weekend!

I hope everyone who is struggling a bit at the moment can have a more peaceful, stress-free, weekend.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Prayers to all...
2 days on the coast with a few friends turned into something like a retreat. Old wounds- memories each of us carried to the present were made vivid by the coastal town (tourist haven for it's beauty). But we shared- got teary (on the inside for me) supported each other and worked through stuff. For one friend- mem's from last year, another- 15y..for me- going back 50. There is not a street/shop/view that does not trigger mem's. All laced with sadness because of the taint of time- and booze.
BUT here I am, in the present, more mindful and with excruciating slowness- healing.
In a way- it is reclaiming these memories from my perspective of who I am now. In the past, I was an actor- behaving how I thought others wanted me to be, because I had no idea of who I was.

Great intro Mags-a good analogy, the candle.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Marty, I think those wolves are me too sometimes. Lol. Hugs for Chauncey. A weekend at home with just your dog and cat and hopefully relax, and as an SR member said to me ‘look after your side of the road’ for this weekend. Try not to worry on things you can’t change. Just for the weekend.

I always call myself the proverbial Swan. Calm and serene on top but pedaling like f#c# underneath. Though I’m not so bad nowadays, without the booze. A lot calmer.

PJ, that rear view window can get a bit heavy going. Take care, enjoy the present. You’ve learnt so much.

Coldfusion, I’m glad you reached out for help. It’s amazing what we can become when we’re sober.

Willow, you’re absolutely right about not invalidating our own feelings. There are people worse and better off than us, but you’re living your life, burying how you feel will just make a mountain of feelings for you to deal with sometime. For me, it’s easier to worry about others than face my own problems. I’m learning to recognise my feelings and act upon them.

I’m going to see my stepmum today. It’s her 94th birthday. I’m in a dilemma really. I wanted to go, not seen her since March. If the weather was nice I’d sit in her garden but it’s not. So I’ve bought a visor(face shield) and got my mask and my antibacterial hand wash. And hopefully (fingers crossed) I’ll be ok. People are going into work so I’m sure I’ll be fine.

See you later. Be safe xx
Old 07-10-2020, 12:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It seems a lot of us are in the doldrums. Maybe the moon is in the wrong place or something. Best wishes to all. Tough times.

MLD like others have said I would definitely check with your vet regarding Chauncey. I know antibiotics cause icky tummies etc. but none of my dogs have ever stopped eating whilst on them. I do hope he gets well soon.

I am a bit of a stress head at the mo, worries building up and causing more anxiety.

Absolutely no chocolate for 2 weeks or cake, huh no wonder I feel bad!

Old 07-10-2020, 12:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Coldfusion.

Good luck at your stepmums Mags.

This lockdown and social distancing is a much bigger imposition on young people than it is on an old farm like me. One positive thing might be that young adults - late teens and early twenties will be making and reinforcing networks that don't necessarily involve pubs and bars which is something I suppose.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Oh I feel like that pup right now Kaily, yawning my head off after a really big day!
Friday night and early to bed, nice and sober. Good night everyone zzzzzzzz
Old 07-10-2020, 03:41 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Mr

Another great OP Mags excellent words of simple wisdom.
Dont over analyze it over think it just slow it down, breahte and small steps... and have a cup of tea
It was a full moon a few days ago so yep it's the moons fault Kaily.
I hope everyone feeling a bit off is feeling better real soon.

I watched a show on netflix this week which had my eyes swelling up. It was an australian show about asylum seekers among other things.
I have decided to do something and sponsor a family or a child. For 30 euros per month maybe i can change the life of somebody less fortunate than myself.
I am often sceptical of charities i suppose because we hear of so many scandals with directors and boards getting personally rich.... Have to find something reliable and externally audited.

Have a good one weekenders and stay sober and free.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
together.jpg (34.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-10-2020, 05:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I would be so much worse off if this virus thing had happened in my twenties or thirties when I was working in industries that are now shuttered and I had zero money in the bank. What are the young people going to do? I can't even wrap my head around it.

Willow, well done on the Friday night sober. Keep it going!! You're going to get it right.

Mags, I'm sure it will be fine at your stepmom's and she'll love to see you (even without the hugs.)

That puppy is just what I needed this morning. Good to see you Kaily. I'm feeling a bit more "up" - but as you all know, this too shall pass!

MLD, how's your pup?

Hi, vMan, Caramel, Reid, Robbie, Coldfusion.

I was looking for a kitten bus for the sober bus thread and came across this - for Sao (apparently it's National Kitten Day? who knew?)...pillow with kittens and VW bus.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:08 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Mags, happy 94th birthday to your stepmom. I've been to mom and dad's a few times, but it's a huge source of anxiety. Very difficult to maintain social distancing with them.

Kaily, I think you are right about the moon. My sleep has been off this week as well.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Friday!
I have a furlough day today, so no checking work e-mail (shhh... I already did but I will stop now, I promise).

Thanks everyone, for the concern about my pooch. He is eating again. He was sitting next to me on the couch last night while I was eating some grilled chicken, and he was begging for some. So I gratefully cut some up for him and put it in his dish. He ate that, and then wanted more food. So I gave him some canned food that's kind of like a stew, he likes it a lot but I don't often buy it because it's not the absolute healthiest stuff. It's more of a treat-type thing. He ate well again this morning. He usually gets Science Diet dry and wet for senior dogs, which he likes and usually eats just fine. He is acting more like his usual self, but seems to want to take things slow. For some context, he does sometimes have days where his appetite is not the best, and I don't worry about it, as long as he drinks water. The vet told me a long time ago some dogs just do that, and it's not much to worry about as long as it doesn't last more than a day or two. He's something like 12 or 13, so he's getting to be an old man. We don't know precisely how old he is, but I've had him for 9 years and he was at least 3 or 4 when I got him. He was a rescue.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Glad to hear Chauncey's on the mend.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good on you VMan!

3 cheers for Chauncey!

Glad you're feeling better today bim

Hometime. Since it 's late Friday afternoon here's an upbeat song from Michael Jackson (pre suspicions)

https://youtu.be/rHhJi_KubWM

Old 07-10-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Ha. That was a fun video!!

I miss MJ...and dare I say I miss disco?

/old people.