Notices

Thread of Tiny Positive Things We Notice in Sobriety

Old 07-12-2020, 12:15 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Yesterday and today, we collectively noticed:
*the ease of doing laundry on the regular. No more "boxers no. 365" on New Year's Eve.
*pleasant early morning calls with a friend with the added benefit of not sounding like Larry King with a bad cold
*treating one's pets to a very happy meal (including using watermelon to teach your dog about ancestry, because with watermelon ...they just wolf it down)
*the roaringly silent bliss of slightly-too-early mornings
*the ability and willingness to reflect on one's day
*noticing, and feeling, the beauty of nature
*waking up without a hangover
*others not assuming every ache is due to a hangover
*slowly but surely saving money by way of cancelling one's daily subscription to poison, including any spillover expenses
*the ability to take things in stride, acknowledge them and let them go
*finding the strength to make difficult changes, including in terms of people around us

No headache today, and everything ran smoother. That's my TPT for today - the ability to bounce back.

Keep 'em coming
Old 07-13-2020, 10:08 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

TPT

Free apple sauce because I took my walk past the ancient/heirloom apple orchard and found a tree branch had been left on the ground. I found eight little apples. Perfect for a pint of apple sauce. If I had been drinking I would not have been on that walk in the first place.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

TPT
Being awake for an important phone call. My fridge decided to die, so I ordered a new one. Today I was awake, working and didn't miss that phone call.
TPT #2
Reflecting on the same matter later on, I realised how much powerful being available feels when compared with being drunk and semi-knocked out.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:13 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Energy for days!!!!
Old 07-13-2020, 02:31 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
under new management

Just happening by a bee keeper doing maintenance on 5 hives in my neighbourhood because I was up and out and about early in the day!
Old 07-14-2020, 12:12 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

TPT

The ability to get stuff done and test my limits in a safe manner That extra gear did not exist when drinking.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose View Post
Just happening by a bee keeper doing maintenance on 5 hives in my neighbourhood because I was up and out and about early in the day!
I would look for him/her again and ask how much for a 1/2 gallon of fresh honey. 😋
Old 07-14-2020, 05:44 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

TPT

I remembered to take my binoculars on my walk. The binocular case came in handy to bring home a whole bunch more apples. They're Golden Delicious. The trees are so laden with apples it's almost unbelievable. I'll bet each of ten trees has about a thousand apples on each one. There are more apples than leaves, seriously.

I'm bringing bags from now on. I foresee all kinds of delicious apple treats in my future for FREE.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

TPT

Smell of food coming from the oven after a long day of work. Can't wait
Old 07-16-2020, 11:57 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

TPT

Probably the weirdest thing, but today I smiled because I know my new fridge will never store any alcohol. A real quirky observation but when I thought about it, I mean, the stories a fridge could tell about its owner if it's in the household for 15 years ...
Old 07-16-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

TPT

The ability to plan ahead. Everything takes a lot longer to accomplish than it used to pre-covid.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:57 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Having more time and not feeling rushed constantly has been very nice!
Old 07-17-2020, 09:31 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Getting up early on a crisp Saturday morning and going out into the garden to dig a compost trench in the flower bed in my front yard.

There's so much in that: that I have a garden, that I grow things like flowers in it, that I compost, that my compost is from juicing pulp, that I can be bothered to make fresh green juice regularly and that I get a fruit and vegetable box delivered weekly to make the fresh green juice.

Lots of TPTs in that one simple act. From nourishing my body, to nourishing the earth, to being able to grow and enjoy beautiful flowers that Mother Nature provides us. None of which I would ever have done when I was actively drinking.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:33 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I had a bit of a downer day today. I'm sitting in bed right now thinking at least I didn't drink and am not going to be with that shame. TPT
Old 07-18-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

TPT- Getting a refreshing drink of (and I'm giving you my secret recipe now....) sparkling mineral water, cranberry juice and a slice of lemon or lime. The new fridge keeps things cold in a way that kinda makes me think the old fridge was just a cupboard on steroids at the end there.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:26 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I used to throw a ready made frozen pizza (full of preservatives) into the oven, late at night, to soak up the alcohol. It sometimes burned to charcoal, when I passed out.

So, against that backdrop, my TPT yesterday, was making a pizza from scratch, base and all, and it was delicious! And I was so proud of myself, when I recalled my past drunken pizzas.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

TPT

Being completely content with "just sitting there". For me, this relates to the peace of mind that arrives some way into sobriety. It's not there immediately, but along the way, you'll notice how at times, here and there, you're just perfectly fine with being just the way you currently are - i.e. no need to tamper with the situation or escape it.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:49 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

TPT,

I am still going back to just being grateful to wake up sober and not hungover. I am just really grateful to start my day feeling great.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:06 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

TPT

I'm happier with less. I come from a spiritual place of abundance now, not lack.

Nothing has really changed about my finances or "stuff" I have, as a matter of fact I've used up a lot of my savings and I have a very old car and appliances that will soon become problems but you know what? I now trust in my ability to handle things that happen and I know I am capable of solving most of my problems. The normal kind. Not so much on viruses, sickness and disasters. I leave that to higher powers than I.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:01 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

"Wake up sober, not hungover".

Has that been said before and I just wasn't paying attention? It is very catchy!