Notices

I'm bulding up to qutting

Old 07-04-2020, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm bulding up to qutting

I'm a bit weak right now but I think I will able to quit on 8 July
Old 07-04-2020, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

July 8 it is then redcardid. I'm going to be annoying and ask you what will be different 96 hours from now? But if that pisses you off, ignore my impertinent question and just quit on July 8. July 8 is as good as any other day.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope a planned quit date works for you. I had a lot of those, but ultimately I had to get to a place where I was so sick, tired, demoralized, and so on from what I did yesterday that I knew I had to stop today - and then actually take action...serious action...to change things. Good luck!
Old 07-04-2020, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

why july 8 redcardid?

D
Old 07-04-2020, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No better time to quit drinking than now. Why wait? You don't know what can happen if you drink again.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why wait till the 8th? Why not quit today. Tomorrow never comes and all that. Plus who knows what might happen in the next 3 days. I hope you decide to make today your day 1.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I vote for the first day that ends in "y" is the perfect time to quit but I know that is easier said then done.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Best time to quit is always today.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had a planned quit date. It was going to be New Year's Day. In anticipation of my quitting, and after an awful weekend of fighting with my then BF and feeling hideously sick, I confessed to a dear friend my plan to quit forever. I expected sympathy and support, to bolster what I felt was admirable resolve on my part.

She asked me a really obvious question. If you're going to quit forever, why are you waiting for New Year's Day?

I hadn't expected that question. I had no answer to it.

Her question stuck in my head the rest of the day. I had two more drinks that night but her logic wouldn't leave me.

The next day was Dec 14th, 2015. Sitting at my desk at work that day, still feeling terrible, I had to admit my friend was right. She had also given me the name of a doctor whom I rang and made an appointment to see immediately.

Dec 14th, 2015 became the day I got my life back. Once the decision is made, there is no reason to put it off unless medically speaking you need to taper.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sober style

Today is always best, but a planned date that ends up working is not nothing either. All the best to you, redcardid. Post here on SR a lot about how it's going for you after July 8 comes and goes, even if there are some bumps along the way. SR can help you do this.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

If I set a date, I would most likely not meet that commitment and keep drinking, then I'd feel worse and then....

Now is the best time!!!
Old 07-06-2020, 05:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's great that you have made the decision to quit.....you will need some strategies and lots of support, so you are in the best place!

If it's tomorrow and not today, then all the best for your day 1 xxx
Old 07-06-2020, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm reading the replies (usually I don't before I post because I am very easily persuaded to go along with the crowd if I read first)...But, I have to honestly say I didn't find most of them supportive at all....I think it was really great that you started "thinking" about stopping...and picked a date...I wish you had gotten that kind of support instead of "why not today".....

I do know that it has gone both ways for me when picking a date...sometimes I was able to quit on the date and sometimes I was not...If you do....thank God...If you don't...I feel like you are getting close to a date or day of quitting because to even be "picking a date" you have hit some point in your life that you really want to get "away" from drinking and I believe you will get there....and I hope you post here when you do.....
Old 07-06-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm going to agree with Missy. You're not getting much support. But that is totally understandable because it seems most people are unsuccessful with a planned quit date.

I quit on jan 2. it was my planned quit date. I was obsessing over quitting for a while but every time I tried cold turkey after waking up from a hangover, I failed. As soon as the hangover wore off I was back to booze.

Planning the quit day worked for me because I spent a lot of time building myself up to it. I came to SR on my quit day (not before) so SR (and sugar) was my replacement for alcohol at first. Now I must never forget what alcohol did to me because I have a new life...a good life.

When I chose my quit date, I started to taper as much as I could with the goal of easing withdrawals. I didn't get loaded on Jan 1st. I had a few, then slid the glass across the table to my husband and stated "i'm done". And so I was.

If you're using this time leading up to your quit to drink all you want, I'd be very concerned because that isn't planning, it's rationalizing so you can drink.

All the best.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So tomorrow it is?
Old 07-07-2020, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Honestly sorry but if your planning the date you aint ready. Please prove me wrong. I'll be the first to help and congratulate you. Stick around here for awhile and post and read and we will change your mind set and you will be pumped to quit(its way worth it). Best of luck to you. Dont wait till its worse like alot of us did.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey redcardid - hope to see you tomorrow

D
Old 07-07-2020, 06:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hope your quit starts well tomorrow Redcardid. July 8 is a good day!!!
Old 07-07-2020, 07:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Checking in, like everyone else. Hope to see you on this side of sober soon.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Redcardid, I think I read that you had a day in already in the class of July thread am I right?