SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Terrible, terrible Anxiety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/448205-terrible-terrible-anxiety.html)

Calicofish 07-03-2020 01:13 PM

Terrible, terrible Anxiety

I've not posted in awhile, but I do read daily. I suffer from anxiety, which I think many of us do here. Usually, I can manage it but the last 3 weeks have been off the charts. I have many per-ventrical contractions (PVC) which I don't whether my anxiety sparks these or they spark my anxiety. They have been happening since June 10th, starting at noon and going in waves of 10-20 minutes and lasting until I can get to sleep. It causes me great anxiety and I get a tight, sore chest, tingling in my arms, shallow breathing, or hyperventilating and that terrible feeling of impending doom. In the past, I've been able to get over these events by distracting myself, but my usual methods have not worked.

Due to the unrelenting episodes over the past 3 week I've gotten into a bad cycle of anticipating the next attack

I finally called my health clinic and due to COVID I was told to go to ER. I went to ER last night and had an EKG and spoke with the doctor. The EKG showed the PVCs and the doctor asked me about my habits re: caffeine, stress. I drink 1 or 2 cups of coffee in the morning and don't touch caffeine after that. I don't smoke. I have not drank in over 5 years. Stress - well, I guess I have stress like everyone else these days. I don't take cold medicine because it cannot handle the side effects (racing heart).

The dr. prescribed a low dose beta blocker to try for 3 weeks. I had blood drawn today to see if my thyroid is low.

Today, I'm actually feeling better and so far have not had an episode. I've not taken the beta blocker as yet.

Part of me wonders whether just getting myself checked out has helped my stress level. That I am not imagining these symptoms.

In the past, I would use alcohol to dampen down the anxiety and it works - however, once it wears off, the anxiety comes screaming back worse than ever. I tell you, a little voice whispered to me...hey, you know a shot of rye or a glass of wine will melt that anxiety.

When you're staring down that anxiety tunnel that little whisper is quite the lure. The remedy, at least in my case, was to seek help and not self medicate. It can be difficult, that's for sure - I know because it took me 3 weeks of suffering to finally reach for help.

Anna 07-03-2020 02:16 PM

Yeah, it's really hard to reach out and call the doctor or go to an ER. I'm glad you did that, and hopefully your anxiety will ease up a bit.

least 07-03-2020 02:25 PM

I'm on a beta blocker for A fib and it also helps quell my anxiety. And they don't make you drowsy like benzos and other tranquilizers do.

Calicofish 07-03-2020 02:44 PM

Good to know, Least. I looked up all the side effects and am worried about the tiredness. I am hoping they will break this cycle. Anxiety makes me feel like I'm going crazy and it's hard to describe to people who don't suffer from it. I get replies such as..."oh, I get PVCs too - everyone does" or "yeah sometimes I'm anxious". I try to explain how an anxiety disorder is different than occasional anxiety.

I can just be sitting there, watching TV and not thinking about anything in particular and BOOM it starts. I hate the feeling.

suki44883 07-03-2020 02:45 PM

Yes, sometimes just actually going and talking to someone who can help us does make us feel better. Please take the beta blockers as prescribed. After three weeks, you and your doctor should know whether it helps and if you should continue taking them.

Robbie64 07-03-2020 02:49 PM

My GP prescribed a beta-blocker for me many years ago and they do help though I had to stop taking them as they were slowing my heart down too much! My pulse went down to the mid 40s which alarmed the Doctor. I'm on them now anyway along with a blood pressure tablet as I had a heart attack 10 years ago. My anxiety levels have been manageable ever since, aided by a course of CBT which I found very useful. You can buy books and do CBT yourself although I found it useful to have a counsellor to do the CBT with.

Dee74 07-03-2020 03:01 PM

I'm glad you sought some help calicofish :)

I'm on beta blockers for tachycardia and high blood pressure - I think they've also helped my anxiety, although my anxietys been on the decline for several years anyway.

I take 25mg/day.
There been no tranquilising sedative effects, or anything people might consider mind altering for me ever.

D

Robbie64 07-03-2020 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7471238)
I'm glad you sought some help calicofish :)

I'm on beta blockers for tachycardia and high blood pressure - I think they've also helped my anxiety, although my anxietys been on the decline for several years anyway.

I take 25mg/day.
There been no tranquilising sedative effects, or anything people might consider mind altering for me ever.

D

I think the main side effects of taking a beta-blocker that some people find a bit off putting is that it can cause cold hands or feet which is largely down to the tablets slowing down the circulation. The other is that some people can find they feel a bit tired or dizzy or lightheaded which is due to the heart rate slowing down a bit too much. But most people with anxiety tend to have a racing heart so a beta-blocker, especially a lower dose one, will just help the heart rate return to a healthier amount as well as reducing anxiety levels. That time when my heart rate went down to the mid 40s was a strange one as my heart was a rather fast 70+ before I took them so it was quite a drop. At least they work now like they are supposed to, my heart rate is usually 60 per minute which is what it used to be when I was in my late teens and early 20s (and was a lot fitter than I am now).

Bubovski 07-03-2020 03:29 PM

Never heard of PVC but had heaps of anxiety
No answer in alcohol.
Very occasional use of benzodiazepines maybe valium can help, but ask your doctor, they are very addictive,

Steely 07-03-2020 03:32 PM

Extreme anxiety can be truly debilitating Calico. Good you went to the doctor, and even better that you felt better after talking about it. Always helps.

Bubovski 07-03-2020 03:32 PM

Dee is it propranadol? One of those blood pressure drugs is used sometimes by public speakers to calm them down

Robbie64 07-03-2020 04:00 PM

The one I take is called Bisoprolol. I did used to be on Atenolol until a few years ago but had to come off that as I was getting that slow heart rate again (once again it dropped below 50 on a regular basis) so had to switch medication as I was already on the lowest dose of Atenolol.

I think propanolol is the one that is prescribed by Doctors for public speakers, musicians etc to help with what may best be described as stage fright.

Dee74 07-03-2020 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bubovski (Post 7471266)
Dee is it propranadol? One of those blood pressure drugs is used sometimes by public speakers to calm them down

no its Atenolol Bub :)

D

AwkwardKitty 07-03-2020 04:55 PM

OH calico, I understand. My anxiety that was previously suppressed is out of control. Reached peak tonight and I ended up having an ambulance because of chest pains and dizziness, I was sure I was having a heart attack. I wasnt of course, I was absolutely fine.
hugs and solidarity xx

RecklessDrunk 07-03-2020 05:16 PM

I use to get into a state where I would suddenly start sweating buckets uncontrollably, lose feeling all through my body. I think my blood pressure is actually cranked on high in reality but to me it would feel like the opposite. Like my blood is hardly flowing. If I do not sit down immediately I will be unconscious and take out anything in the way of my fall. Get scratched up falling into/along cabinets or something. This never happened drunk, it would happen while actively using but not drunk at the moment. Iwould worry about everything, if I wasn't worried about something, something was wrong I just didn't know what it was yet. I had alcoholism even before the first drink. I felt like I was home that first night I threw up from drinking when I was 14.

Especially when I wake up in the middle of the night, I have another version to actually start my day. What I do is focus on my breathing. Maybe I'm weird or something but i incorporate prayer and gratitude into my thoughts. I pretty much just take control of my breathing. I am a runner so I have pretty good lungs. I breathe as slow as I can WITHOUT struggling. I breathe in very slowly, deliberately, probably close to 10 seconds or something. The exhale for me is really where it's at. I do this much slower and try and let all the fear out. At the end of that long exhale it can feel almost like an opiate for several seconds. Hard to describe. To fall asleep I repeat this process for several minutes or until my heart is content. I'm trying to slow my breathing and heart rate so I guess literally until my heart is content.

Something I noticed from day to day... For example the other day I had one of my toughest days in my over 20 year professional career. I am under pressure to hit a deadline. Things that I have no control over are going real bad. I look bad, I'm stopping to pray which is usually money in these close call situations but not today. I'm just getting in a bigger hole, further from my number and the clock keeps ticking. I cant even stop to eat and I'm getting more tired, more hungry, more stupid. Many of my shortcomings are coming at me. I've gone well past the point that use to be I'm definitely drinking after this! I got through that day. I have a long drive home and its summer so even as late as it was I could still catch the end of the sunset on the way home. I survived. The anxiety blew right over, the cravings, the obsession to drink eventually becomes more of more a speed bump.

Calicofish 07-03-2020 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty (Post 7471312)
OH calico, I understand. My anxiety that was previously suppressed is out of control. Reached peak tonight and I ended up having an ambulance because of chest pains and dizziness, I was sure I was having a heart attack. I wasnt of course, I was absolutely fine.
hugs and solidarity xx

I feel for you Kitty. I have done the same thing before, ending up in ER thinking I was dying. It's awful. I now know I'm not dying, but it's still really hard to keep that in mind. Hugs to you. I hope you feel better soon.

Calicofish 07-03-2020 06:03 PM

Thank for the replies.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I appreciate the support.

I've taken the first 1/2 pill tonight and I don't really think it's done much. I am still having some PVCs on and off, but they are not as bad as before. Maybe it takes some time for the drug to work and/or I just have to work on unloading this anxiety.

I've been prescribed Metoprolol 25 mg 1/2 pill morning/evening. The doctor will call me in 2 weeks to see how it's working.

Anxiety is such a bugger.

Dee74 07-03-2020 06:04 PM

I would give it a little while to bed in Calicofish - 2 weeks sounds about right :)

D

Calicofish 07-03-2020 06:11 PM

I agree Dee - thanks.

NONIA 07-03-2020 07:07 PM

Years ago I came down with agoraphobia and gad .
Took 3 years of meds and consoling And group therapy to overcome it .
It can be done .