Notices

High liver enzymes/have to quit/I'm scared

Old 06-26-2020, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

High liver enzymes/have to quit/I'm scared

So last year i had elevated liver enzymes and i was concerned, but not to concerned. Lately i haven't felt right, pain in the right quadrant, nausea, vomiting, and overall argh. After a really bad panic attack, i called my doc and got labs done. They aren't good. Everything looks okay, except liver. I don't meet with my doc until next Wednesday and a ultrasound on Tuesday. I'm 40 years old and have a 9 year old son and a husband that also likes to drink. I am scared so bad and i feel so alone.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You are not alone, that's for sure! There's a whole bunch of supporters here ready to listen if you want, or share if you want. You did the right thing in getting medical testing, even as it's scary to wait on results and to see the doctor. Stay in touch here, ok?
Old 06-26-2020, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you're talking to your doctor. I hope you decide to stop drinking for good. No matter what is happening now with your health, stopping drinking completely will make you better able to deal with life. Many people here have a spouse/partner who drinks and that's okay. You can go to another part of the house when your husband is drinking or maybe go out for a walk, spend some time with your son. You can do this!
Old 06-26-2020, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And then you reach that great moment where you couldn't care less if others drink. It means nothing so long as they are not being obnoxiously drunk.

Good you are going to the doctor. Liver does have great ability to repair, but means not drinking so avoid reaching the point where it loses the ability to repair. And it can happen.

Wishing you the very best.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yea it can and most likely will get better if you stop drinking. Thats a big if. Have you decided to quit?
Old 06-26-2020, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It's scary to stop drinking. But even tho it's scary and hard at first, the rewards are worth the effort. Stop drinking now and your liver has a chance to heal itself. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back to good

Lots of people here will tell you the liver is very resilient - as long as we stop poisoning ourselves with booze, it can make a remarkable recovery, in most cases.

I'm glad to have you join us

Try not to worry too much - just stay sober

D
Old 06-26-2020, 08:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! You're definitely not alone. If you search the forum archives on this subject you'll find loads of stuff, including posts from me.
Hope you keep us updated.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, i am ready to quit, for my health and family.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome backtogood. As you can see so far you will get tons of support. When do you plan on quitting or have you already?
Old 06-27-2020, 01:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm working on it, have done a few no drink nights. But seem to have 1 to 4 to help sleep. Never even get a buzz, just enough to hold off anxiety and night sweats. By Monday i would like to be full on no drinking at all. Doesn't help my husband isnt being supportive. He almost seems upset that I'm not drinking and he has to hangout by himself.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The liver can take a beating. But, it can only take so much though. My liver enzymes were 2.5 times what they should be but went back to normal after a few months
of being sober. The best thing is have a good talk with your doctor, you can get over the counter nature products to help with the healing also, such as milk thistle but the main
thing will be to stay sober.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Backtogood,

Your story resonates with me. I have increased liver enzymes. My husband is an alcoholic. I am currently 2 years sober.

First, I have turned over all of my worries and care regarding my liver to my doctor. I follow my doctors treatment plan. This includes regular bloodwork and annual liver scans. My liver is monitored and managed by my doctor...it’s the only way for me to take care of myself.

Second, I quit drinking for myself. Not my husband, not my kids, not my friends, just for me. It was hard. Not only did I have to struggle with my own thoughts and feelings, continuously resisting the alcoholic voice that screamed in my brain, I also had to fight my husband’s alcoholic voice. My husband repeatedly told me that I didn’t have a problem, I could drink, I should drink, I was more fun when I drank, he didn’t like me sober.

Quitting drinking was very difficult for me. But I tuned out my husband and turned to SR. I found strength, peace, and my potential on this forum. You can too!

I believe in you! You can stop drinking, you can take control of your life and your health. In spite of all the obstacles.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
I'm working on it, have done a few no drink nights. But seem to have 1 to 4 to help sleep. Never even get a buzz, just enough to hold off anxiety and night sweats. By Monday i would like to be full on no drinking at all. Doesn't help my husband isnt being supportive. He almost seems upset that I'm not drinking and he has to hangout by himself.
Whilst drinking I didn't really sleep. I passed out. Then I would always wake up at 2:30 am and struggle for the rest of the night.

The only way to get back to proper sleeping is to quit drinking. You will have to go through several nights, maybe a week of not sleeping properly. You will be very tired but slowly the sleep will come back. The sweats will stop too. You body will be on the way to healing. Why wait until Monday?

And your husband will just have to get over it.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us, Backtogood. I was so reluctant to quit that I kept going for years after I needed to stop. I'm glad you're taking a hard look at what alcohol is doing to your body. Stopping now will avoid future pain & suffering - you'll be there for your son.
It is hard when you & your husband have been drinking together - it's an adjustment for him, too. My quitting resulted in my husband eventually quitting too.
It does feel strange & we're a bit disoriented when we first quit - but we adapt & grow to love life being free of it.
I'm glad you're here - we all understand what you're going through.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

First of all, thank you for all the responses, stories, and advice. And yes, there really is no reason to wait til Monday to quit. It's all in my head...i don't see my doc til Wednesday and i have seen my lab results online, so i know she's going to tell me i HAVE to quit or i will die. I find it all really emotional, i don't want to die, i want to see my son grow up, i don't want to be an alcoholic. My head says "well you have until next Wednesday to drink..." My body says "I have told you multiple times you have to quit." My husband and i have talked about quitting for the last 20 years, but even this week when i said i was done, he went to the liquor store to stock up. I am going to have to fly solo on this one and hope he follows...i feel very emotional about the whole thing. YES i want to quit, but it's been a huge part of my life for the last 20 years. Sometimes it is just so overwhelming!
Old 06-27-2020, 11:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You will not have to fly solo if you come here every day for support. Worked for me!
Old 06-27-2020, 12:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to drink to help me "fall asleep" but then would wake up in the wee hours, anxious as hell and have to drink to get back to "sleep". We're really not sleeping when we drink. It takes a few days or weeks to get back to a normal sleep schedule but it's worth the wait. Just don't drink! Withdrawal isn't fun but it's usually only a few days.

And no, you won't be flying solo, you have all of us flying with you.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am a little older than you but with a similar aged child and a husband who drinks. It is possible to stop and have a great life. It's good you've found out now and can stop. The liver has a remarkable ability to heal itself as soon as we stop drinking. Your husband will get used to it. When I quite it's about 4 nights of rubbish/no sleep but then sleep is amazing. Plus my anxiety is almost zero. Welcome to SR btw
Old 06-27-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
People take others quitting differently. Send him over to this forum, it may give him a better understanding. You dont have to give him your username if you dont want.