Notices

Exercise and motivation

Old 06-23-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
I was thinking of starting with a 3 mile walk every day. I know I can manage that and my husband is going to do it too. He walks faster than me, so I am always at a decent pace with him. I want to then build it up to 5 miles over the next few weeks. The yoga is great too....it's only 20 mins but the difference in terms of flexibility is massive and I think taking the time to mentally connect with my body is important.
I started walking at the outset of my recovery and it turned out that it helped me in so many ways. I reconnected with my neighborhood and my neighbors. I started looking for the beauty in nature everywhere, and always found something. It turns out I love walking so it's never been hard to get out and do it. After all these years, I still walk almost every day, somewhere between 3 and 5 miles, depending on the weather, etc. And, walking is something that, generally, you can do for the rest of your life.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Walking my dog every day is a big part of my sobriety. We don't usually go too far, but we enjoy the outside, sunshine, and fresh air.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I started walking at the outset of my recovery and it turned out that it helped me in so many ways. I reconnected with my neighborhood and my neighbors. I started looking for the beauty in nature everywhere, and always found something. It turns out I love walking so it's never been hard to get out and do it. After all these years, I still walk almost every day, somewhere between 3 and 5 miles, depending on the weather, etc. And, walking is something that, generally, you can do for the rest of your life.
Thanks Anna. I used to do a lot of walking a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it. I remember that feeling of being propelled forward, once you get fitter and it felt great. I then used to walk to work but I've been home working during lockdown. I just need to create some better routines, it's a push at first but, as you said, it just becomes part of what you do every day. I think my mental health has definitely suffered from a lack of activity and fresh air recently. 3 miles sounds like a good start
Old 06-23-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Walking my dog every day is a big part of my sobriety. We don't usually go too far, but we enjoy the outside, sunshine, and fresh air.
Lots of benefits to being outside. That's the great thing about having a dog. I love dogs but I'm allergic....still no reason not to walk myself though x
Old 06-27-2020, 03:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The most important thing when it comes to sticking with a cardio routine is to find something you enjoy doing. If you hate running and you force yourself to run to get into shape the chances of you sticking with it are pretty low. For myself, i'm a runner and i really enjoy it. I'll put a sports game on, put my ear phones in and get some music going and the buzz i get from running is just great. It's very therapeutic for me. Not everyone is going to enjoy running though, you might be into biking, yoga, dancing, walking, swimming, whatever it is....just find something you enjoy and the chances of you sticking with it will increase a ton.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TwistedLogic View Post
The most important thing when it comes to sticking with a cardio routine is to find something you enjoy doing. If you hate running and you force yourself to run to get into shape the chances of you sticking with it are pretty low. For myself, i'm a runner and i really enjoy it. I'll put a sports game on, put my ear phones in and get some music going and the buzz i get from running is just great. It's very therapeutic for me. Not everyone is going to enjoy running though, you might be into biking, yoga, dancing, walking, swimming, whatever it is....just find something you enjoy and the chances of you sticking with it will increase a ton.
I think that is it, I've never really found anything I like to do. It has always felt forced, felt like a real chore and, in the past, I was motivated by vanity more than health. I am trying to change my attitudes towards these things and part of that is trying to be curious and try things out.

I know I am a good swimmer and I think swimming a couple of times a week will end up being part of my routine. I also love to dance and I am thinking, when things open up again, to try a dance class. I think classes in general might be good for me, in terms of motivation. The lucky thing is I am good with diet and like healthy food. That gives this move into a healthier life a good foundation. Going for another walk today!
Old 06-27-2020, 06:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Exercise that you enjoy is key to leading a mobile and happy life, but you are wise to focus much of your attention on nutrition. As they say, nobody can outrun a bad diet.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Walking is a great idea. If the weather is good, it's an excellent way to get fitter and to be more present.

I liked running even before I gave up drinking. Managed a few half-marathons in my drinking days. After I quit I channeled all my naturally obsessive energy into it. I tell people that running saved my life. There's something about the endorphin high from running that I now rely on to balance my mood.

I now run a couple marathons a year and began weight training too which has changed my body shape and given me definition I never thought possible. I'm 46 and never been fitter. I also began looking into my nutrition more seriously and started eating 100% plant-based.

All of this can come further down in sobriety - what I'll say for now is that fitness, health and wellbeing is a much more fun, much more rewarding journey than drinking!!

Old 06-28-2020, 02:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
I now run a couple marathons a year and began weight training too which has changed my body shape and given me definition I never thought possible. I'm 46 and never been fitter
Me too! I went from obese drunk at 48 to triathlete at 50. I’m not doing so well during lockdown to be honest. I’m not such a great runner technique wise and have picked up an Achilles problem. With that and the pools and gyms being closed, I’ve definitely gained at least 2Kg and so just ordered a TRX trainer.

I’m 18 months booze free but still get occasional cravings. If I was drinking now, that weight gain would be more like 5Kg.

Anyone not into running, walking is a reasonably good exercise. If done briskly, you can burn 500 calories in an hour which is a huge amount.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Gabe, as everyone says start walking. Just make a habit of walking each day. Also, what about bike riding? I have been doing both and it has been great for my sobriety. During my 60 day quit in april and may I was exercising consistently and more than I have in a long time and my mood was HIGH and I was feeling great. I recommend Tim Mcgraws book Grit & Grace. One key thing is he quit drinking a while ago after his wife, Faith Hill gave him an ultimatum.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
Walking is a great idea. If the weather is good, it's an excellent way to get fitter and to be more present.

I liked running even before I gave up drinking. Managed a few half-marathons in my drinking days. After I quit I channeled all my naturally obsessive energy into it. I tell people that running saved my life. There's something about the endorphin high from running that I now rely on to balance my mood.

I now run a couple marathons a year and began weight training too which has changed my body shape and given me definition I never thought possible. I'm 46 and never been fitter. I also began looking into my nutrition more seriously and started eating 100% plant-based.

All of this can come further down in sobriety - what I'll say for now is that fitness, health and wellbeing is a much more fun, much more rewarding journey than drinking!!
Oh man I would love to be like you! I can't really imagine myself running but I have decided to try it and see. So many people have told me how much they enjoy it, that it is definitely worth a try. I am going to walk lots and concentrate on my diet just now, load of veg and fruit, whole grains and I drink soya/almond milk. I only eat a little meat and have been buying that organic and really cutting down on sugar. I am starting to physically feel better and more connected to my body, so it's a good start.

I also found a dance exercise class on youtube. I really like the look of it and will give it a go. I am just trying to have a better attitude towards exercise and towards trying new things. Also, it's a process. I was terrible for wanting to see change straight away then giving up a couple of weeks later. This time it's different.

Love your picture!
Old 06-29-2020, 12:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
Gabe, as everyone says start walking. Just make a habit of walking each day. Also, what about bike riding? I have been doing both and it has been great for my sobriety. During my 60 day quit in april and may I was exercising consistently and more than I have in a long time and my mood was HIGH and I was feeling great. I recommend Tim Mcgraws book Grit & Grace. One key thing is he quit drinking a while ago after his wife, Faith Hill gave him an ultimatum.
I have been thinking about bike riding and buying a bike. It's a great idea; we have parks close, with cycle tracks and I think it would be fun. I'm going to have a look online today. Thanks Max!

Also, I just realised who you meant (Tim McGraw), not that familiar with him over here but I'll check out his book and see if they have it on kindle.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Let me know what you think. He is a country singer that I have a lot of respect for. He isn't your typical party singing kinda guy which I like.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:39 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
Let me know what you think. He is a country singer that I have a lot of respect for. He isn't your typical party singing kinda guy which I like.
Will do Max!
Old 06-29-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Oh man I would love to be like you! I can't really imagine myself running but I have decided to try it and see. So many people have told me how much they enjoy it, that it is definitely worth a try. I am going to walk lots and concentrate on my diet just now, load of veg and fruit, whole grains and I drink soya/almond milk. I only eat a little meat and have been buying that organic and really cutting down on sugar. I am starting to physically feel better and more connected to my body, so it's a good start.

I also found a dance exercise class on youtube. I really like the look of it and will give it a go. I am just trying to have a better attitude towards exercise and towards trying new things. Also, it's a process. I was terrible for wanting to see change straight away then giving up a couple of weeks later. This time it's different.

Love your picture!
You don't have to be like me, look at all of the plans you are making for yourself - running, dance, bike-riding. Being Gabe sounds extremely exciting. What a journey it will be.

And the best thing about trying new activities when you're sober is there isn't that half-assed, showing-up-hungover thing going on. I attempted so many things when I was drinking that I didn't follow through properly and felt vaguely shameful about. But now if I choose to try out something, I give it a shot and if it's not for me, I move on with no regrets.

Thank you for the nice compliment about my picture