Notices

I dont want my life to be about recovery

Old 06-23-2020, 02:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Like others have said it's an evolving process. I do not want to be focused on recovery 24 x 7 in five years. OTOH I do not want to forget how much some of the tenured old timers here on the SR forum helped me in this recovery process. I hope one day I can visit this site more to help others than myself.

As an old timer said in a meeting:

"coming back is giving back".
Old 06-23-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It isn't an all or nothing proposition AI34. You can make recovery a central part of your life - your life - not others' lives. You don't need to shout anything from the mountaintops. In fact I would make sure to share your journey only with those you deeply trust. Discrimination is alive and well against people in recovery. But, your recovery from alcohol has to be your focus for the time being. It can start to assume a smaller portion of who you are as it takes deep root, but for now it needs to be something you work on every day. It doesn't need to be a negative thing either. It should be affirming, motivating, a source of happiness and satisfaction and accomplishment.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I can relate to this. I too had these worries before I quit. Whether they are just excuses to keep drinking or real concerns about the gut doesn't matter. Whst I can tell you is that what can happen when you put the poison down for good is that your life becomes about all the things other than the poison. Yes, the early days can be filled with constant thoughts of alcohol, recovery meetings and/or readings etc. But there's a path away from the drunk life that ends up being filled with all the things in life you are missing.

For some, being part of a recovery group is empowering and rewarding. For me, putting away the booze for good and visiting this site from time to time is all the recovery work I do. The rest of my life is mine in a way it never was when I was drinking.