Notices

28 days later

Old 06-21-2020, 04:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

28 days later

Cannabis: 87 days | Alcohol: 28 days

Today marks 28 days sober, which is the longest stretch I've had for about two years.

Here's what's happened in alcohol's absence:
  • I've read. A lot. Spirituality and surrender are central themes, but I've also caught up on some fiction.
  • I'm learning to be more present.
  • I'm better able to identify negative feelings and diffuse them before they take the reins.
  • I've doubled down on my exercise regime.
  • Cravings are becoming more manageable.
Progress, most definitely. But the AV is piping up ahead of some hot weather and time off work. Any advice would be much appreciated as one-month stints are usually as far as I get.

Thanks,
RS

Old 06-21-2020, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I refuse to talk/discuss/argue with the SOB known as the AV. I will literally shake my head as if I'm erasing an etch a sketch [That should be dating myself. lol] and kick it to the curb.
If I get the hint of a craving, I have a shot of water and my goto, Oreo cookies. Fortunately my cravings have reduced a lot so now my cookie consumption is just that, me enjoying them.
I also would be active. Being active could have been just walking to the end of the block to distract myself.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Resurgence View Post
But the AV is piping up ahead of some hot weather and time off work. Any advice would be much appreciated as one-month stints are usually as far as I get.
That one-month statement is pure AV. Using past failures to justify the next one. If you are committed to life-long sobriety, douse those thoughts.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 4 weeks Resurgence! Well done on the 87 days without weed too.

Good work with the exercise. If like me you find sleep quite tricky in early recovery then physical tiredness is a huge help in that respect. Knowing that you will be going to bed at a reasonable time cuts down on the amount of craving too or at least it did for me.

It was some time in the second month that things became easier for me in regards to wanting to drink. It was so gradual that I did not notice it until I realised that I had gone a few days without giving a thought to having a drink - so stick at it for that second month and with any luck by the end of it you will be in a much easier place.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi resurgence

28 days is great - but as I think you already know it's just the start of a new life.
Keep moving forward on that - you'll be glad you did.

Prevailing weather conditions and time off shouldn't be near enough of a reason to damage a strong recovery.

Cherish that growing bud - let it become the strong mighty oak

D
Old 06-21-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It gets better, I promise. The best thing I ever did to quell cravings was to practice gratitude every day. When I wake up, when I go to bed, and throughout the day, I give thanks for my blessings. It bolstered my sobriety and made me happier too.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Congrats! The 1st month is always the hardest, in my opinion. Well done.