Notices

1 Year Sober

Old 06-18-2020, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 Year Sober

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted, but thought I'd share some experiences after reaching a major milestone.

Firstly, I think if I hadn't found this site and lurked here for a few weeks, reading other people's posts, I would not be in the position I'm in today - so a big thank you to all who contribute here. It was especially helpful to be able to join the monthly threads for a couple of months, post and read how others were coping at the same stage of recovery.

When I first made the decision to quit (and it had to be my decision), I could not see further than getting through to the next day. I've now done this 366 times (typical it coincided with a leap year to make it 1 day more!). On that first day I could not comprehend never having another drink, so I just had to think I won't have one today, and so on. I still have thoughts (and dreams) of drinking again, but these have become fewer and less frequent now. I don't know if it will ever go away, but I know I can keep those thoughts at bay. I only have to think back to those first few days of detox to know I don't want to go through that again.

Some benefits:
Sleeping - yes it took a while, and I never thought I would be able to sleep again without alcohol, but finally I did. Don't know if anyone else had this, but I realised that I hadn't been dreaming prior to sleeping without alcohol. Just zonking out didn't give me any proper sleep so I didn't dream. The first dreams I had were terrible and so real - I was behaving so badly in them and waking up thinking it was reality, worrying how to face people. For the first 5 days I was so convinced things had really happened I was really glad my wife was around to try and convince me it hadn't (although it took a few days to believe her). Thankfully they didn't last for long and I am now sleeping great and feel so much better and rejuvenated, compared to being unconscious and waking up feeling dreadful.
Health - no more liver pains, and my tests have improved month on month. I also suffer badly from anxiety and my medication was not working well. Within a week of stopping drinking my meds have been working fine and I've had no issues since. I also had gastric issues which have also vastly improved.
No more hangovers - obviously
Time & Energy - I have so much more energy and time to do the things I (and my family) want. I now have time to spend with my wife and kids, instead of drinking and making excuses. I feel I have my family life back and my kids have a dad again. I am now able to concentrate on work.
My hands don't shake any more - how embarrassing was that?

The only real downside so far has been gaining weight, as I have used used chocolate etc. to dampen any urges. It's time to make a start on changing that now, as I want to get fitter. I've struggled to find AF drinks that I like to drink, but I have found AF beers to be useful for me (I know it's a controversial subject). There are a lot of poor tasting examples out there, but some are nice and I enjoy them as an occasional alternative to other soft drinks. I do drink too much coffee now.

It's been tougher these last few months, but I think and hope I'm through the worst now. I've just got to keep pushing on, one day at a time. I still visit the site daily and take inspiration from reading posts from other members. To anyone struggling out there - it's incredibly difficult at first, and it will feel like hell, but it is worth it if you can get past the first few days and weeks.

I'm so glad I found this resource, I honestly believe I would be dead in the next 5 years if I hadn't stopped when I did. Hopefully I will now last a bit longer than that to see my kids grow up.

Take care and stay sober.

Andy.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Love it! Those are all the benefits I am looking for. Great job and congrats on your year.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on one year NDNM!! That is brilliant in every way. Love your post.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you for a wonderful, uplifting post Andy. Congrats on 1 year of a whole new way of life.
I think getting through that first year, with all it's challenges, is so encouraging. I remember wondering how holidays, vacations, & other celebrations would be. I was so afraid life would no longer be fun or exciting - yet I was always in a fog - how much fun is that?
Well done!
Old 06-18-2020, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great stuff! I'm so pleased for you.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober years! And thank you for the inspiring post. It was posts like yours that encouraged me when I was just starting out. I am sure your message will help many newcomers.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

wow congrats new day new me

D
Old 06-18-2020, 07:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats Andy

Here's to many more successful years.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on three six six!
Old 06-19-2020, 04:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Inspirational, thanks so much!
Old 06-19-2020, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice one. Well done!
Old 06-19-2020, 05:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!!!
Old 06-19-2020, 05:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations!
Old 06-19-2020, 06:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 06-19-2020, 03:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done Andy, I'm really pleased for you!!!
Old 06-19-2020, 03:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on a year sober.