Notices

Supposed to be Day 1. Just had test results

Old 06-16-2020, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Supposed to be Day 1. Just had test results

My test results have come back. My liver isn’t doing very well. Need to go for an ultersound and some more tests. Doctor recommends i stop drinking completely immediately

trying to process this without getting stressed and going to buy alcohol to cope
Old 06-16-2020, 04:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry for the news AI. Only way to alleviate that stress and start healing is to follow that doctor's advice....don't drink. Focus on just the next 24 hours.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Al

As you'll hear from people who've been there - the liver can be pretty resilient - if we let it heal.
Buying booze might contribute to more damage & it would only make you worry fret and panic more later.

Do the wise thing and stay sober

Old 06-16-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, like Dee says the liver is a very resilient organ - to a point. I wouldn't test it any further.

Please find a way to not drink. You're still on this side of the grass, so there's hope you will fully recover.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AI34, it is a physical certainty that there is that one drink that puts your poor beleaguered liver past the point of no return and then you are in trouble. Nobody knows when you will drink that drink that could end your life, but your docs are telling you that you are in the general neighborhood now. Let's not test that and let's back away from alcohol altogether, and for good. You have to leave it behind now AI34.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The liver heals if able to.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I would take your doctor really seriously. I don't think he would tell you to quit right away if it was not a serious situation. Like Surrendered said, you never know where the point of no return might be. I think we all understand how overwhelming the thought of quitting forever is, but we all also know of people who didn't quit in time and lost their lives because of it. I had a close friend who didn't make it. Not trying to be super negative here, just telling you what's at stake, for real. Please quit.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

This is indeed very serious. I sincerely hope you take the steps necessary to stop drinking now--ask your doctor for help or find a detox center before you take another drink.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Drinking sure will not help that situation, will it?
There are a lot of things you can do, take, or drink (non-alcoholic) to help repair the liver. It is possible. If you put the alcohol down now!

Life or death?

I know someone who has been on the liver transplant list for 3 years, he is often yellow, in and out of the hospital. That is no way to live.

Be well,
DC
Old 06-16-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The human body has an amazing capacity to heal itself as long as the abuse stops! I'm sorry for the scary news, but it is very possible to turn this around!
Old 06-16-2020, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like it is the right day to stop drinking and to let you body start to recover. It's usually some sort of awful fright or realisation that brings us to the quit day. You'll feel so much better in general after a little while sober
Old 06-16-2020, 10:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Alcohol never helped me cope.
I used to buy alcohol instead of coping.

Today looks like a mighty fine day to cope.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 06-16-2020, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

They to think of the positive. You got a heads up before it was too late. You can change your path.

You can do it! Keep checking in.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The liver is very kind within reason. I had a fatty liver diagnosed by ultrasound. An online search will tell you lots of people have a fatty liver, but for me (as a drinker) it was very bad news indeed. It meant I’d reached stage 1 of liver disease which would’ve almost certainly progressed to scarring and then cirrhosis. If your liver packs up, that really is your lot.

So I quit drinking and had a fibroscan 6 months later. All that fat had gone! I didn’t do anything except not drink, and my liver did all the work. The doctor did add that I’d done the absolute best thing by quitting booze, but he warned me to keep it that way. I have so far.

Whatever stage your liver’s at, stopping drinking will be the one biggest help you can give it. Your doctors won’t be able to do anything more than that one thing. They’ll be speechless to hear you’re still drinking and so am I.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your liver results but as others have said it is a tough organ and can take a beating.....up to a point!

Don't come to the stage though where there is no come back. Staying stopped will make sure this wouldn't happen. Best of luck.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just curious as to what made you go get the tests? I just had an US and maybe able to fill you in.