Notices

Can't STOP

Old 06-15-2020, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't STOP

Thinking about drinking! It is driving me crazy.
I think about adding certain alcohols to my non-alcoholic drink and the fantasy is rolling!
I am dreaming about drinking
My dreams show me as a normal drinker
I want to drink

The good news, I am not the type to drink while pregnant, and I am 3 months along.
So, I wonder if I am craving it so BADLY because I know for a FACT I am unable to have it?
I am approaching 3 years, is there a magical number where I think we have this alcoholism licked and no longer have a problem?
Am I more mature than 4 years ago?
Can I handle drinking now?

I am exhausted with all these thoughts.

I have thought about getting a 0% beer

I know all this is BAD, I would not succumb to the drink but the devil is putting in overtime with me and I really wanna smack him to the next galaxy.

BE well,
DC

Old 06-15-2020, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would think that pregnancy would cause more than usual anxieties. For me, anxieties can trigger escapism thinking. That naturally leads to old patterns.

Keep doing whatever has been working for you and keep saying, "No." to that chattering monkey.

Thoughts are not facts.

Change your thoughts, it's as easy as finding something with which to keep busy.

You haven't had a drink, you're doing great!
Old 06-15-2020, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd say, no, you can't handle drinking now. And, also you are pregnant.

It could be your hormones running amok that are affecting you so much at the moment. I'm not sure if this is your first pregnancy, but I felt quite fragile during my pregnancies. Can you distract yourself by doing something else? How about a walk, listening to some music, or call a friend to chat? If, for no other reason, stay sober for your unborn child. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is real and life-long.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey DC

I don’t think you really need any of us to set you straight
you have a long list of threads and posts you’ve written full of great recovery.

like Bim said anxieties can make us wig out a little. I also think Anna is onto something with her thoughts about hormones.

Congrats again on your pregnancy. How wonderful your child to come will never know you as a drinker

stay true

D

Old 06-15-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh wow congratulations darling on your news ❤❤

I can only share my experience. This weekend was the first time I was around people drinking alcohol for a long time. My sister. My brother. My neighbour. We even bumped into my sister's friend and they were talking about drinking! Ffs! Then one of my cousins sent me a message saying no one had any idea that I had a drink problem, she said I hid it well at parties!! My next door neighbour said to me she didn't class me as an alcoholic. My alcoholism was all over all of this! Maybe I can have a few drinks? Maybe I wasn't as bad as I thought I was!

What did I do? I shared about it like you just have. I took the power out of those thoughts by getting them OUT of my head because if I don't they will start growing and I go into the danger zone!

I revisited my step one. I started listing (in my head) where I had been powerless over alcohol. Yep. That reinforced things in my head lol. I went over how my life was unmanageable when I was drinking.. ouch! Broken relationships, missing work, putting my daughter in danger, wracking up debt, lost morals, integrity and self respect.... the list is endless.

One lady said to me that no matter how others drink or what others think,they aren't the ones who have to wake up in my head. The despair, guilt, shame, terror, bewilderment , suicidal notions were a daily occurrence to me. I do not want any of that back.

A lovely old timer in my meeting says, "if I pick up a drink today I will go back to my drinking, not yours" and I dont know about you but my drinking was hell.

How I would rid myself of these thoughts? The good old Serenity Prayer and lots and lots of gratitude.

Can you get on any AA zoom meetings? I have the link to the womens 24 hour international meeting, I will post it.

Lots of big love and hugs to you darling. You've got this!

❤🙏❤🙏
Old 06-15-2020, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing!!!
What honesty, I love it!
Old 06-16-2020, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

DC,

0% beer is 100% bull****.

That said, I've had the same thoughts at various times in my journey. Fortunately, I've been sober long enough to accept that if I were to have one, I would in short order be drinking in exactly the same fashion that I did when I believed that my life was no longer worth living. That is the truth of our addiction: it isn't a phase or something we beat, it is something that will always be there if we decide to pick up that first drink.

A better use of our mental energy is to consider this: what do I want to be or do now that I am free?

Congratulations and best wishes for your sobriety and new family.

Last edited by Eddiebuckle; 06-16-2020 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-16-2020, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I have had way more anxieties about drinking since becoming pregnant than I did before. I've been craving the hell out of a margarita, which isn't even something I drank regularly before. Then again I'm also craving some pretty weird food combinations. I've had a lot of dreams about drinking, but not the kind where I am drinking normally, the kind where I've just polished off a bottle of wine and I'm hammered and have the realisation that alcohol will have made its way through the placenta and baby is pretty much swimming it it, and I feel absolutely awful for what I've done. I wake up from those dreams in sweats and immensely grateful that they were only dreams. As somebody already said, pregnancy is a weird combination of hormones and new worries. I only have a couple of months to go and the drinking-related thoughts/anxieties have settled a good bit, hopefully will for you too.
Just remember that alcoholics can't drink normally, and you don't want your kids to experience the fear in seeing mum lose control of herself. It is truly very frightening, I grew up with an alcoholic mother and am only beginning to understand the damage it has done to me.
Best wishes!
Old 06-17-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!
Perhaps you have given permission to your addictive voice because you are convinced you will not drink.
When I was pregnant (and at the time, alcohol was not an issue for me in general and never thought of drinking) I did drink virgin mojitos or 0% beer in social occassions.

I have not drunk for over 11 months and I do drink a 0,0% beer on social occasions. I have done this from day 1(well, not day 1; I was too overwhelmed with withdrawal). It has not been a problem for me. However, I have never used it to 'replace' my drinking. I used to drink alone and hiding and I have never tried to fill the cravings with alcohol free beverages imitating the alcoholic ones.

For social occasions they do the trick for me. Food and drink are also a part of social life. It is nice to share them with others. If I was diabetic, I would also try to brink sugar free cake to birthday parties so I can eat a slice.

As you probably know, others are super against AF drinks and I would be cautious about using them to kill a craving. They will never make it because they have no alcohol.

In the meanwhile, try to find help to see how to deal with your cravings and thoughts. Pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum are massive challenges. Only those who have been through them can understand the strain they put on your body and your mind. AND you have a newborn to suck any possible energy from you. Being a mother may not help at all in staying away from the drink. You will be probably at your most vulnerable. Please try to find ways to deal with these thoughts now that you are in a stronger position.

Is this your first?
Old 06-17-2020, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don’t drink obviously but see this as a chance to grow in your recovery and address areas which are in need of addressing. Personally I’d go back to basics and really reaffirm your total acceptance of your alcoholism. If I’m totally acceptant of my alcoholism then thoughts of “will it be different” etc will be put to bed instantly or won’t happen on the first place. Maybe regroups your sobriety by reading old posts or writing out how your drinking was before you stopped. I cannot see how NA beer can ever be a choice for somebody who has a strong recovery personally.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackandScared View Post
Congratulations on your pregnancy!!
Perhaps you have given permission to your addictive voice because you are convinced you will not drink.
When I was pregnant (and at the time, alcohol was not an issue for me in general and never thought of drinking) I did drink virgin mojitos or 0% beer in social occassions.

I have not drunk for over 11 months and I do drink a 0,0% beer on social occasions. I have done this from day 1(well, not day 1; I was too overwhelmed with withdrawal). It has not been a problem for me. However, I have never used it to 'replace' my drinking. I used to drink alone and hiding and I have never tried to fill the cravings with alcohol free beverages imitating the alcoholic ones.

For social occasions they do the trick for me. Food and drink are also a part of social life. It is nice to share them with others. If I was diabetic, I would also try to brink sugar free cake to birthday parties so I can eat a slice.

As you probably know, others are super against AF drinks and I would be cautious about using them to kill a craving. They will never make it because they have no alcohol.

In the meanwhile, try to find help to see how to deal with your cravings and thoughts. Pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum are massive challenges. Only those who have been through them can understand the strain they put on your body and your mind. AND you have a newborn to suck any possible energy from you. Being a mother may not help at all in staying away from the drink. You will be probably at your most vulnerable. Please try to find ways to deal with these thoughts now that you are in a stronger position.

Is this your first?

Thank you.

This is not my first child.
I am good in my sobriety, I don't want to drink but the devil sure wants me to.
So, I posted here to get is all out of my system so I can stop thinking about it.
Being a drunk mom sure is not in my game plan and I will continue the road of recovery!

Congrats on 11 months Sober!!! Way to go that is wonderful
Old 06-17-2020, 11:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
Don’t drink obviously but see this as a chance to grow in your recovery and address areas which are in need of addressing. Personally I’d go back to basics and really reaffirm your total acceptance of your alcoholism. If I’m totally acceptant of my alcoholism then thoughts of “will it be different” etc will be put to bed instantly or won’t happen on the first place. Maybe regroups your sobriety by reading old posts or writing out how your drinking was before you stopped. I cannot see how NA beer can ever be a choice for somebody who has a strong recovery personally.
There is no doubt in my mind, that I CAN NOT drink. I do not make a good drunk.
I personally have no desire to through my life away however the devil sure wants me to.
Super frustrating to have the voice so loud in my mind, so I came here to dump it
I didn't dream or think about it yesterday so it appears to have helped.

Thank you so much for your reply I appreciate you taking time out of your day!

Be well
DC
Old 06-17-2020, 11:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post
DC,

0% beer is 100% bull****.

That said, I've had the same thoughts at various times in my journey. Fortunately, I've been sober long enough to accept that if I were to have one, I would in short order be drinking in exactly the same fashion that I did when I believed that my life was no longer worth living. That is the truth of our addiction: it isn't a phase or something we beat, it is something that will always be there if we decide to pick up that first drink.

A better use of our mental energy is to consider this: what do I want to be or do now that I am free?

Congratulations and best wishes for your sobriety and new family.

Thank you!
Yea, I am not one to have a "fake" drink, that will just tempt me more. That is how I relapsed many moons ago. Not this time though. Plus, I drank beer to get wasted not for the taste.

BE well,
DC
Old 06-17-2020, 11:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hey DC

I don’t think you really need any of us to set you straight
you have a long list of threads and posts you’ve written full of great recovery.

like Bim said anxieties can make us wig out a little. I also think Anna is onto something with her thoughts about hormones.

Congrats again on your pregnancy. How wonderful your child to come will never know you as a drinker

stay true

D

Thank you Dee!
I appreciate you being here

Have a great day
Old 06-17-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

An AA member (who unfortunately since relapsed) put it well to me, non-alcoholic beer is for non alcoholics. It tastes, looks and smells like the real thing and people drink it in bars like the real thing. Edit: Don't me wrong, I'm not putting down anyone in recovery who drinks it.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'd say, no, you can't handle drinking now. And, also you are pregnant.

It could be your hormones running amok that are affecting you so much at the moment. I'm not sure if this is your first pregnancy, but I felt quite fragile during my pregnancies. Can you distract yourself by doing something else? How about a walk, listening to some music, or call a friend to chat? If, for no other reason, stay sober for your unborn child. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is real and life-long.
I have NO desire to drink at all, like in a physical sense. I would NEVER drink while pregnant, as stated I am not that type of mom.
The hormones, on the other hand, are WILD compared to my first pregnancy and this rollercoaster is pretty nuts so I am convinced I am having a girl! HAHAH