Notices

my son is dying

Old 06-15-2020, 04:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through with your son. We are here with you.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

How horribly sad. I watched someone I cared about do that to himself. It's a helpless feeling. He was just a friend, and it hurt a lot, so I cannot imagine how much worse it would be to watch your own child going through it. I sincerely hope you get the guardianship and can find him treatment that works for him. But if you can't, please know that you did everything you could, and it's not your fault. After my friend lost his battle, I wished I could have done more, and I felt guilty for a while. It took some time, and talking to many people in AA, for me to find some peace that I did try, he refused the help, and I had nothing to feel bad about. I do hope you check out Al Anon - you need some support in this very trying time. There will be people there who have been through this and can help you.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Oh wow I am so sorry to hear this. Alcoholism is a vile illness. AA saved my life . Have you contacted AA to see if theh can send some members round to talk to him? Its called 12th stepping. One alcoholic talking to another alcoholic has been shown to have profound effects because no one else can truly understand what it is like to be in the absolute grip of this illness than another alcoholic.

It's worth a try?

Sending much love, strength and courage and I will pray for your son today ❤🙏
Old 06-15-2020, 08:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Free.

Are the dementia and memory loss documented? I appeared insane for parts of my last few drinking episodes.

Your son may not be an alcoholic write off just yet. Many of us appear that way.

I don’t want to assume, or try to elicit false hope. You can read or ignore the following. Your choice.

Where I live you can commit someone for three days on a mental health hold.

My wife did exactly that to (for) me a couple of years back. What followed was a medically supervised detox with all the right fluids/meds/supplements.
I was such a mess that it took me hours to realize that the old fellow sitting on a chair in my doorway was actually a guard ensuring I did no self harm.

From an overnight in the hospital I was driven directly to a detox center for 7 days. Thirty days of treatment after that.
I stayed sober for 3 days shy of a year, faltered a bit for a few months, I am happily and serenely sober now.

The last of the physical symptoms relinquished at 62 days sober. (liver related waste observations)
At 77 days sober I feel energetic and hopeful. Happy.
Still some pressure under my lower ribcage. Guess I’ll ask the doc.

Anyway, Sue: Wishing you the best.
You son is worth another all out attempt at getting to recovery. Do what it takes. No regrets.

With sincere regard.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I wholeheartedly agree with TiredCarpenter.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry you are having to go through this. The feeling of helplessness must be overwhelming.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. This is such a sad story. Thank you for sharing with us. I really hope he gets the help he needs.