Notices

Sober Journey Weekenders 12-15 June 2020

Old 06-11-2020, 01:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sober Journey Weekenders 12-15 June 2020

to the Weekenders

My mind is a blank this week!

I was in that half asleep waking-up time yesterday morning and my mind was just ticking over. Thoughts coming in and out my mind, as they do.

When I found myself wondering when I first drank and what made me into the heavy drinking alcoholic I became?

I went on a journey of my drinking life, not thinking, the thoughts just came in my head, like a video playing a film.

When the mental video stopped, I thought about where I would be now if I still drank. Dead, was my first thought, if not dead I’d be alone and live between drinking, crashed out or getting my next drink, wasting my life away.

And I was pleased. I was pleased I’m sober. I’m sure some of you whose been sober a while will understand what I say.

It was a revelation to come through it and find there is life after it too.

If anyone reading this is wanting to give up booze or drugs or both, then give it a go....before they try to rule your life.

I couldn’t think of a future without it once, but found I could manage one day at a time. The days turn into weeks, months and years. Now I don’t drink and have no inclination to drink.

It is possible to stop, though I didn’t think so either, and many of us here are testament to this.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

Old 06-11-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags
Old 06-11-2020, 01:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, for your wonderful post. I've hit the doldrums recently and it was timely, gave me a motivational lift, just lovely.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, Shotgun!
Old 06-11-2020, 02:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags!
I'm in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jobu06112020A.JPG (81.1 KB, 117 views)
Old 06-11-2020, 02:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

avocado for breakfast lunar?
Old 06-11-2020, 02:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mags

D
Old 06-11-2020, 02:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
avocado for breakfast lunar?
Lol!!
Old 06-11-2020, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Tatsy :wavey

Hi mnjen

Reid congratulations on shotgun.

Hi lunar and jòbú
Old 06-11-2020, 05:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am in! Heading into my 3rd sober weekend of 2020
Old 06-11-2020, 05:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mr

Thank you Mags.
I'm in too for a weekend of sober living.
To everybody :

Attached Images
File Type: png
téléchargement.png (3.4 KB, 110 views)
Old 06-11-2020, 06:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
Gloomy news in my e-mail this morning. The pandemic is really wreaking havoc on the economy and the reality of that is beginning to hit my workplace. I will still have a job, but there are going to be layoffs, and other budget cuts. My job is essential. But they could cut my hours. I'm halfway expecting that. I'm already being forced to take furlough days that add up to about 4.5% of my salary. That's manageable, because I don't live paycheck to paycheck. Much more than that, and I'll feel it. I feel super bad for others who will lose their jobs completely. And also a little for the rest of us who will have to pick up the slack as our units have to shrink in numbers.

BUT. I have to remember that I will be ok, my family will be ok. I'm sober, I do the right things to stay that way, and I will take care of myself and those closest to me. This will all be a memory eventually. Not a good one, ever, but things will get better someday.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mags, I am one who found it relatively easy to quit this time once I made the decision. Well, I was a mess but my commitment didn't waver.

I had done it before and I knew that I would be happy and healthier if I just quit. The "good times" of alcohol really were only in the very beginning, in both my drinking periods. After a while chasing that dragon is like chasing my tail. There is an hour of contentment or euphoria and then it's misery the other 23, either chasing that feeling and never catching it or being in misery from that chase and trying to recover.

Exhausting.

I still have thoughts of drinking and it's been over six years. I know it's futile and I know it's illusion and yet, the thoughts are there. Thankfully I've read enough and heard enough at meetings and here that I can fall back on a thousand reasons why it would be a disaster. An hour of escape is so not worth it.

And so - forward we go into another Sober Weekend.

If anyone is reading and struggling with their drinking, please make a commitment here or somewhere on the site. Saying it may be the difference. Jump in to the thread.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, looking forward to another sober weekend.

Started the Big Sortout yesterday in the attic. Filled 7 bin bags. I'm going up again to tackle some more this afternoon , shame the dump is closed these days and you have make an appointment and wait weeks.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for the new thread, Mags!

Welcome to weekenders everyone!

I had to crop this image to get it few enough pixels to post, but at least it's a decent size still:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8079 (1).jpg (84.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 06-11-2020, 10:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In!
Thanks Mags, there's no way life would have been better if I was still drinking. I might not still be alive.

Good to see some old and new faces on this Weekend's thread.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Great picture Coldfusion

harriett, good for you about sorting your attic out. We really need to do ours. Our council tips are open but so busy and massive queues.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I am excited - my ex is finally coming to take the rest of his stuff out of the house on Saturday, now that he has moved from a small apartment into a house he bought. I will have the extra space I need to get my lower level organized. He had a whole room tied up. I'll be able to have an office and a guest bedroom down there. Then my house will finally be the way I want it.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am in!
Old 06-11-2020, 04:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm in. One more day of working from my little home office --looking for things to do, trying to position my webcam just right to hide my slight middle-aged-guy double chin on virtual meetings-- and the weekend will be here. I work for a regulatory agency, and we have paused our activities to work on other things while the entities we regulate get back up to speed after the COVID-19 epidemic. Thankfully I haven't been furloughed and still have my job, but I don't actually have a lot of work to do, so it makes for some pretty long, boring days. However, we will be busy again soon enough, and I am very grateful that I'm still employed. So many are not so lucky, so I am counting my blessings.

Prayers to all who are struggling right now...keep fighting the good fight.