Notices

Sober Journey Weekenders 12-15 June 2020

Old 06-13-2020, 10:10 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I’m going to go out for a walk and see if I can clear the fog in my head that’s making me feel miserable and craving a drink.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:16 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

How did it go Willow? That usually works for me.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:19 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Willow, every time we give in to the AV it gets stronger. Have a cuppa or juice and something to eat. Kick the AV’s butt.

Hope the walk helped.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:21 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, after much deliberation, a split second, I think Ignore is good. If you think otherwise...play the tape.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:25 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I haven’t gone yet, I’m just about to go out for a walk now. If I don’t, my partner’s wine rack is going to get me. I’m about to head out the door now
Old 06-13-2020, 10:52 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice one Willow, you can do this.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:21 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You can do it Willow! It won't be Sunday afternoon for very long.

Well I typed out a post yesterday in which I added my vote very firmly to the people who think bim should not respond to this person but it does not seem to be there. I still say do not respond though.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:21 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope it posted, it took ages.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:06 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I took myself off for a hike yesterday, I forced myself as wasn't in the mood but I knew it would help. A very hilly 7 miles.

Funny you should mention contact with someone from your past Bim. While I was out walking I met a couple in the middle of nowhere I hadn't seen for over 20 years. They didn't recognise me as we passed with our dogs and I was pleased, but then before I really thought about it I turned and said I knew them. Too late I remembered we hadn't lost contact as friends. We were horsey rivals, nothing major. Anyway we chatted briefly, made me a bit nostalgic for the life I used to have with my horse all those years ago and reminded me I still didn't like her, in particular.

Anyway as Andy said you answered your own question. Don't wanna.

Good going Willow, enjoy your walk. I couldn't live with a wine rack but I don't know what the answer is... Unless you get rid of partner and get a dog!
Old 06-14-2020, 12:26 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

Sao I’m really glad it won’t be Sunday afternoon for very long, that’s cheered me up. Before I know it, I’ll take myself off to bed for an early night. I’d go now, but it’s still a bit early yet, only 5.30pm lol

Lol Kaily that made me laugh Believe me, I have considered it many a time!
I would love to get another dog, I haven’t had one in years because said partner won’t allow a dog inside, and I won’t have a dog that’s not allowed inside. Hmmm maybe I should ponder this some more, a dog wouldn’t have a wine rack full of wine either..... hmmm

I went for an hour’s walk, it did help a bit. Then I poured myself a big sparkling water and lemon.
Mags, a cup of tea is next I think

Old 06-14-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Morning all!

Can someone please send the sun over to my part of England? It's another damp and miserable looking morning.

Well done on going for the walk Willow. I find walking helps me collect my thoughts and helps clear my head. Hopefully you'll feel more relaxed tonight and the cravings will lessen.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:54 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

It’s a battle raging in my head and at this moment they’re about 50:50
it's not really 50/50 tho.

stop me if you've heard this before but the AV needs you - you don't need it. It needs you to be its arms and legs and mouth to go get the booze buy it and drink it.

If you refuse...it's snookered.

Yes it can be uncomfortable not to give in but every one of us can deal with some discomfort - we're all past masters at hangovers.

Don't let the AV build a case. Shut it down.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:35 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I was just really struggling today. What I think I meant was that I was wavering, 50:50 as to whether I was going to give into the AV. I wasn’t feeling very strong, and several times I had the almost overwhelming urge to give in to it. I actually walked over to the wine rack (my partner’s) and picked out a bottle at one point, then I put it back and posted on SR. And then I looked at the urge surfing links you showed me (thank you) and then I went for a long walk. I came back and filled up on sparkling lemon drinks, tea, and dinner then Anzac biscuits. Now the AV is finally quiet. Phew.

I won the battle today, with a fair bit of help from the support here on SR. I don’t think I would’ve made it through today without you guys
Old 06-14-2020, 02:56 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders - Checking in once again to say hello.

Thanks Mags for the thread. Far from your mind being blank you made some very good points, especially this one:

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
I couldn’t think of a future without it once, but found I could manage one day at a time. The days turn into weeks, months and years. Now I don’t drink and have no inclination to drink.
How true this is. I hope it gives hope to all of those reading and feeling as helpless as I once was. It really can be done, and it gets better and better.

All's well here. The weather has lifted a bit so we might see some patches of sunshine today. Work plods on - I should be preparing for my new role in three weeks time but haven't started this yet. I had a nice video call with my parents who are in isolation yesterday that cheered me up considerably. So, gratitude from here.

Well done to those chalking up the days (well done Mamatembo), good to see you here. Thoughts to you Kaily and Willow - please don't give in...

Bye for now. Warm wishes to all. Forwards.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:33 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Willow, I would have to have one of those bull arabs. They look and sound like such wonderful dogs. Sounds like the wine rack is a major source of stress for you. Seems like partner could have wine around in a way that does not torture you so.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:46 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I agree Willow.

Does your partner know how much you want to quit? DO YOU want to quit? Have you told the partner?

If so he should not have a problem with putting the wine elsewhere for a few months. It does get easier with sober time.

I would also get the dog, though. I'm probably not the best person to be giving relationship advice since I've been single for 90% of my adult life.

Speaking of.

The ex called again last night and texted. Maybe I'm going to have to reply. He said he'd try again today.

We were engaged, lived together for years. If I talk to him so much anger and sadness will come out. It wouldn't be good for either of us. I'm not able to be generous on this one.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:36 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

^ Can you block his number, biminiblue, if you don't want this kind of nuisance performance?
Old 06-14-2020, 11:21 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thanks, Caramel. You were the second/third person who said that.

It's done! I feel better already! I'm always one to suggest that - but when it's meeeeeeee...

I like "nuisance performance." Yup, that's how I felt completely.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:23 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

^ well done. *quick respectful hug*
Old 06-14-2020, 12:54 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders!

Tomorrow's the first day back in the office after...how long...2,5 months?

I am not going to lie - I could live like this. I mean, taking my time in the morning and sparing "joy" of morning commute.

Ok, ok. Not complaining. Just...feels good.

Willow, sorry you've slipped. I think that family dramas are most taxating in this regard, it feel like there is no escape and it's hard. Please, take care of yourself. Hugs.

Bim - I so hear you about the ex situation. I am not ashamed to admit that sometime what I feel is pure rage. Yep, side effects of being human.

Good night, weekenders.

See you)