Notices

cocaine addiction recovery

Old 06-05-2020, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cocaine addiction recovery

Hi there, this is very new to me so please bear with me. I have realised that I have developed a cocaine habit.
I have been using on and off for years which had only been the odd weekend here and there. over the past 3 or so month, it has been a daily occurrence so I am now reaching out for help on how to deal with this, any advice will be gratefully received
Old 06-05-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to SoberRecovery! This can be the beginning of a permanent recovery.

I think you have taken a good first step by admitting that you have a problem. For me, the solution was getting help. In the immediate sense, I got help by going to detox. If you have trouble quitting, there may be a no-cost program you could go to for a few days to keep you away from your drug. But for most of us a big challenge is staying quit. SoberRecovery offers support, as well as Narcotics Anonymous (face-to-face meetings have been suspended in favor of online meetings). The most important thing is to look beyond yourself for an answer, because your best thinking is what got you into this mess.

Here's a few good threads to join:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7456565 (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 488)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-1-2020-a.html
Old 06-05-2020, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it
Old 06-05-2020, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My pattern of use was similar. I had a bad binge years back and made myself really sick. I quit at that point. Went to a treatment center, found a good doctor/therapist. I began using small amounts (in comparison) last year, and stopped/started multiple times before I quit again... been around 3 months now. It was difficult for me to stop while working due to the demands and long hours of my job. I always used not so much for recreation, but because it gave me the energy boost, no need for sleep, what felt like clarity. Practical reasons obviously. 😁

I'd suggest having a plan to deal with initial cravings after you stop. Depression, anxiety, insomnia, extreme fatigue were my major issues. I told my wife what was going on. Set up therapy apts again for a while. (Exercise, eating well, relaxation techniques, and rest have all been helpful). I found this site before I quit while I was reading. Wasnt looking for online chats or support, but its helped I think. Someone is always here. Not a lot of people dealing with cocaine though. But doesn't seem to matter because alcohol and other drugs create similar life issues.

did you start using more during the pandemic shutdown?
Old 06-05-2020, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you're seeking support.

I have no experience with cocaine, but I think you will find similarities to many of us who have to develop new and healthy habits to manage our recovery. It might be helpful to come up with some alternative ideas at the times when you would have turned to cocaine. That can really help to break the habit aspect of addiction. And, are there lifestyle changes you can make to help support your recovery, as far as activities, friends, etc.?
Old 06-05-2020, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site as you will find many caring loving people here. Biggest advice I would give in terms of kicking a coke habit is it is almost impossible unless you give up drinking as well. At least for me anytime I start drinking i almost immediately search it out with a vengeance. When I am not drinking I could pretty easily resist it based on my experience and other people I know.

Best of Luck!
Old 06-05-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to have you join us pitracer

D
Old 06-06-2020, 05:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi thanks for your reply, that sounds spot on. I last had it on Monday and obviously not had a drink and yes it is a lot easier.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, yes it did get worse when lockdown started mainly because before lockdown I didn't really drink but when lockdown started it was a nightly thing. like most users when I drink the cocaine issue gets out of control and I know when lockdown started the drinking started the cocaine started.