Notices

Somthing to Share

Old 06-04-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Somthing to Share

I would like to share somthing I wrote to share with my Family. I would like to share it here.

If I had something like Cancer

If my sickness was like cancer

Comfort would be given freely

Friends and family would visit or send cards

Neighbors would express concern or compassion

People would not abandon me

Doctors could plan surgery or treatment

Still may be sick or die along the way

I would feel love during this struggle

John the Alcoholic
Old 06-04-2020, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

Exactly what I've (mostly) experienced in the fellowship of AA.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well presumably you haven't got Cancer or something like it but you've got a problem with drink instead. And you've come to a place where there are loads of us with that problem. I hope you feel like posting some more and perhaps feel some camaraderie if not love
Old 06-04-2020, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by John999 View Post
I would like to share somthing I wrote to share with my Family. I would like to share it here.

John the Alcoholic
Hi John
I've found great comfort here, and support, and love.
I've never felt abandoned here so I hope you stick around.

Some of my best friends here on this site have battled cancer.
I think alcoholism, as tough as it is, is easier to manage, easier to beat, and easier to remove from our lives.

I hope you can look back soon and say the same
D
Old 06-04-2020, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi John,

You are welcome to join our family here, and you always find support and compassion.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome John. This is a great place for support and friendship
Old 06-04-2020, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi John, welcome! It is difficult when people don't understand the nature of this very real illness. You have come to the right place for help, support, and encouragement. The good people here are a vital part of my recovery. Best wishes.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Had to be a Debbie Downer, and I’ll just speak for myself, and it may not be relevant, but if it is I would say that if I had cancer:

I wouldn’t drive drunk jeopardizing lives, I wouldn’t say cruel things, I wouldn’t lie, I wouldn’t manipulate, I wouldn’t be selfish, I wouldn’t hurt others. I often use a cancer analogy when it comes to the things I’m willing to do for myself. I.e. if I had cancer and could cure it by reading a book and doing 12 simple steps, I would. But I’m slow to do the same for alcoholism.

But the way alcohol use manifested itself in my life, I gravely hurt many people. So while they may still care for me and support me, for their own survival they had to detach. We are all responsible for taking care of ourselves. I don’t blame anyone who has turned their back on me due to my addiction. Most tried long and hard and hung in there until it was clear it was either hopeless or that the damage done to them was no longer tolerable.

Over the years I’ve slowly stepped sassy from the cancer analogy because I was nfsitly making myself more of a victim than those around me.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey well you found the place where your need for acceptance and understanding and compassion and support is in abundance. Many of us can relate to feeling separated from our non-alcoholic friends and families as we struggle with this. I found everything that I needed to get sober here on SR. Hope you can read and share and find your way to permanent sobriety as well. It's here for the taking.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by John999 View Post

John the Alcoholic
I hope your able to share this with your family. Maybe it will aid in opening up a healthy dialogue between you. I would take it one step further though. Your signature line. Are you really John the Alcoholic. Or are you John; who has been diagnosed with an alcohol use disorder? Someone who is seeking treatment and learning behavior modification etc. in order to get to a healthy place. Be careful about wrapping up your identity in a use disorder. Each person on this Earth has their own challenges be it health wise or other. Education and honest communication with family and friends can build up their invaluable support.

Understanding Addiction

There is also support here on this site. Welcome John.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lines View Post
I hope your able to share this with your family. Maybe it will aid in opening up a healthy dialogue between you. I would take it one step further though. Your signature line. Are you really John the Alcoholic. Or are you John; who has been diagnosed with an alcohol use disorder? Someone who is seeking treatment and learning behavior modification etc. in order to get to a healthy place. Be careful about wrapping up your identity in a use disorder. Each person on this Earth has their own challenges be it health wise or other. Education and honest communication with family and friends can build up their invaluable support.

There is also support here on this site. Welcome John.
Thank you for the note. I did share my message with my Family and it has helped allot. They did not realize how they where treating me (judgment instead of support). Calls from my kids have increased and My wife looks at me in a new way. I am fortunate that I have my wife of 34 years and a great job I have had for 29 years. I more fortunat than many who have suffered greatly.

I am grateful for my sobriety and hope to not trip and fall again.

If I do, within reason, my family is now with me to the end.