SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   1 week (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/447747-1-week.html)

JustPeachy95 06-03-2020 11:50 PM

1 week

Well, I'm not sure if I really belong here, but I do know that I don't exactly have a healthy relationship with alcohol. I'm only 25 so I question if I'm just doing the "going through my 20s" type of drinking. At the same time, I know a lot of my habits are not normal. I had people over at my place a week ago and had this moment of clarity. I've had a lot of family drama going on right now and, in being open about it, I realized that these people I've been hanging out with don't really know me at all. I feel heartbroken over realizing that I don't know what it's like to forge deep bonds with people outside of my family. I feel like this revelation is that I want real friends and not just coworkers that I frequent happy hours with. I want to be done with only giving myself permission to be me and feel my feelings once I've binged on a box of wine. I've got some serious self reflection to do and there's so much more that I want out of life. I'm tired of dulling it all. I know this won't fix everything and I have no idea how serious my drinking is or not, but I do know that choosing sobriety, at the very least, can't hurt to try.

C0ntr0ls 06-04-2020 12:06 AM

Welcome and Congrats on a weeeek!
I'm of the belief, if you are wondering/question you and the drink, it might be an issue. I did for years as did a lot of people around me that I lost when I dismissed it as an issue.
That's just an opinion from an old fart wishing I had paid more attention early on and I may have not lost soooo much.
Good Luck!

Dee74 06-04-2020 12:33 AM

Hi JustPeachy :)

We don't lock the doors here. Stick around and make up your own mind whether you belong here or not.

D

Hewson1974 06-04-2020 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by C0ntr0ls (Post 7455929)
Welcome and Congrats on a weeeek!
I'm of the belief, if you are wondering/question you and the drink, it might be an issue. I did for years as did a lot of people around me that I lost when I dismissed it as an issue.
That's just an opinion from an old fart wishing I had paid more attention early on and I may have not lost soooo much.
Good Luck!

my thoughts exactly....wish I had the courage or knowledge to address mine back in my 20’s...would have saved me so much trouble in life ....best of luck JustPeachy

Steely 06-04-2020 02:09 AM

Best thing ever. Allowing ourselves to be (authentic) without having to "binge on a box of wine." The best!

Welcome, JustPeachy.

vkf 06-04-2020 03:53 AM

Nice!!!! Good job on the week. Wish I would have figured crap out in my 20's. Would have saved me 20 years of up and down rollercoaster rides. Only you can decide if you have an issue but I would look at the fact you think you may. That is a red flag in my head that I ignored for years.

Cityboy 06-04-2020 07:11 AM

Welcome aboard justpeachy.

Coming here and talking about things, and reading other people's posts as they talk about things, has been, and continues to be, enormously helpful.

Reid82 06-04-2020 08:41 AM

Congrats on one week.

Hevyn 06-04-2020 09:32 AM

Great to meet you, JustPeachy.

I had similar thoughts (like Hewson) in my 20's. Unfortunately, I didn't do what you're doing - take a cold, hard look at what my drinking was doing to my life. So I kept going, trying to manage it so I didn't have to give it up completely. The end result was a life in ruins as a much older person. I never imagined I could be so reckless. You've done a good thing by coming here to talk it over. We're glad to have you!

brighterday1234 06-04-2020 01:03 PM

You’ll never regret getting sober and living a life in recovery.

january161992 06-04-2020 03:14 PM

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/MIS.../O/oneWeek.png

travelbug 06-04-2020 03:35 PM

Welcome, JP, I too did the same thing in my 20's, then it turned into my 30's, 40's, 50's ow 60's. I now need to learn how to socialize sober. I wish that I would have realized what I was doing to my mind & body in my 20's. Do it before you are in too deep.

Anna 06-04-2020 04:32 PM

Welcome, and I think it's great that you want to make some major changes in your life. I hope you decide to stay around and I think you'll find that giving up alcohol has many benefits.

least 06-04-2020 11:33 PM

Welcome to the family and congrats on beginning your second week sober! :) I'm about to mark 10 and a half years and I can honestly say, I don't regret giving it up. My life is so much better now, and I go to sleep, and wake up, feeling good. :) Read around the forum. Lots of different approaches to sobriety. I hope our support and collective wisdom can help you get sober for good. :hug: