Notices

Not doing so well

Old 05-31-2020, 10:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yep. I ruined a career in finance. Had a good salary with full benefits. Had a nice car, pretty girlfriend, condo. One by one, I lost them all. Got a DUI, had to declare bankruptcy because of 60k in credit card debt. Can't get a job because I can't pass a background check. Because of the hopelessness I feel, I just drink....
Old 05-31-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
Sorry to hear that things are bad but there's plenty of people here (like myself) who have turned things around from similar
situations- it can be done.
Gives me some hope to hear that. Thank you.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Yep. I ruined a career in finance. Had a good salary with full benefits. Had a nice car, pretty girlfriend, condo. One by one, I lost them all. Got a DUI, had to declare bankruptcy because of 60k in credit card debt. Can't get a job because I can't pass a background check. Because of the hopelessness I feel, I just drink....
I hear ya.

That's exactly my story minus the bankruptcy, but add on a more serious criminal charge than a DUI. Thank God it's not a felony, but it could have easily been depending on the mood of the prosecutor that day. Other than that, same exact story.

I got my DUI 15 years ago, but it never held me back from getting a job. Not sure how the bankruptcy would go over if you looking at getting back into finance.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Free.

Welcome back PuckLuck:

You’ll find great support here.

Give it a go.

Some medically assisted detox might be a good idea today.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

In finance, they do a 'CrimCred' check off the bat. A DUI is a criminal record here. And a bankruptcy fails me on the credit check. Had quite a few job offers rescinded because I raise too many red flags for a financial company. They are pretty strict. The bankruptcy is the main thing that concerns a financial institution.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

In finance, they do a 'CrimCred' check off the bat. A DUI is a criminal record here. And a bankruptcy fails me on the credit check. Had quite a few job offers rescinded because I raise too many red flags for a financial company. They are pretty strict. The bankruptcy is the main thing that concerns a financial institution.
Right that makes sense. I'd be open and honest about the bankruptcy. The DUI is also a criminal charge in the US. They are a dime a dozen. Just as long you don't have multiples, then it gets serious very quickly. That DUI won't keep you from a job brother.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was in a pretty lost everything similar kind of situation.
You rebuild your life brick by brick.

Its not easy or as quick as we’d like it to be, but you get there.

Never had a life I love more than the one I have now

D
Old 05-31-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I was in a pretty lost everything similar kind of situation.
You rebuild your life brick by brick.

Its not easy or as quick as we’d like it to be, but you get there.

Never had a life I love more than the one I have now

D
Thanks Dee. A pleasure speaking with you again by the way. I want to do this. Just scared.

I knew things really escalated during this last bender when I only had a half a bottle of vodka left and resorted to slamming an entire bottle of Nyquil. Really unbelievable. While nodding out listening to Depeche Mode and wetting myself.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
Right that makes sense. I'd be open and honest about the bankruptcy. The DUI is also a criminal charge in the US. They are a dime a dozen. Just as long you don't have multiples, then it gets serious very quickly. That DUI won't keep you from a job brother.
The DUI already has. It shows up as a criminal record and some financial companies have policies against any crimin al blemish. The bankruptcy is a death knell. No financial will hire someone who is bankrupt or even just bad credit. Other peoples money is at stake so I am a 'liability'.

Doesn't matter, That was 10 years ago. Been fired from 5 non-finance jobs since then for drinking on the job/poor performance. I need to sober up for good is what I need
Old 05-31-2020, 02:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think a 2 week bender with cheap vodka hidden around requires a medical detox.

Seizure is always a possibility.

Take good care. Detox might be the first step.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

The DUI already has. It shows up as a criminal record and some financial companies have policies against any crimin al blemish. The bankruptcy is a death knell. No financial will hire someone who is bankrupt or even just bad credit. Other peoples money is at stake so I am a 'liability'.

Doesn't matter, That was 10 years ago. Been fired from 5 non-finance jobs since then for drinking on the job/poor performance. I need to sober up for good is what I need
So now what
Old 06-02-2020, 08:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Samantha

Highly recommend the 24/7 AA meetings for when you need it . I'll go on for hours when I think I may drink and it helps.
I don't use video ... just listen and chat.
http://www.247aaonline.com
Old 06-03-2020, 03:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
Highly recommend the 24/7 AA meetings for when you need it . I'll go on for hours when I think I may drink and it helps.
I don't use video ... just listen and chat.
http://www.247aaonline.com
thanks for that link...really like the green room there, been on for last 2 hours
Old 06-03-2020, 06:04 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Hewson1974 View Post
thanks for that link...really like the green room there, been on for last 2 hours
I've been loving it too...i come and go during the day.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Doing much better, guys. Just the insomina is killing me, but I knew it was coming. Not my first rodeo, but hopefully my last.

I look like a completely different person after cleaning myself up. I also managed to clean the house. Other than the whole not sleeping thing I feel fine. About to have dinner and relax!

Appreciate all the support here.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
vkf

Yeah the insomnia sucks big time.... its gets better man just hang in there. Every single time I went off on one of my binders the insomnia has been the consistent thing. That and crippling nite terrors when I did sleep. It gets better.
Wife calls it a spiritual warfare deal. Makes sense I guess. The brain is a powerful machine and we all have some much baggage from crap we've done that seems to be locked away. Just the brain trying to rewire itself in a sense. I read somewhere during this whole deal that it's trying to figure out how to work without all the booze.
Whatever it is it sucks. Took me about 8 days to start sleeping again.