SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Never give up (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/447645-never-give-up.html)

Sunflower1964 05-29-2020 04:54 AM

Never give up

Good morning all, I just wanted to share something this morning. Yesterday as I drove my car, a thought came into my mind and I was so surprised. I thought 'I'm never going to drink again'. It was like a revelation to me. I've been sober since January 15th and just couldn't say those words because it totally overwhelmed me to think about it. The thought of never drinking again was scary and seemed so unreal. I couldn't imagine living in this society without alcohol.
Feeling so much better now and able to focus, I realize that I can never go back there. Even when things get tough, I know it's not the solution, alcohol only makes things worse. Now that my depression is under control, I obviously wonder how much worse alcohol made it for me.
With all that said, I know I still have to take this journey one day at a time because that AV can sneak up anytime. I'm very aware of it and cautious. I know I'm still fragile but feel a great sense of hope, especially for all those starting out on their journey to sobriety.
I pray that all of you out there starting your journey will find comfort in knowing that others have walked your path and are holding your hand all the way. You're never alone and never give up. As hard as it is, it does get better.
Today, I will not drink. I wish the same for all of you. Thanks for reading.

Rus 05-29-2020 05:14 AM

Life is good

Hi Sunflower,
What you've written makes absolute sense and agree with with you a 100%
I'm a recovering alcoholic myself and been down that road many a times. There's no other way, except the "one day at a time" routine.
It's my sixth month running and I face the fear of temptation everyday. The mind gets triggered all of a sudden and the feeling of wanting to have a drink can be overwhelming. It's at this point I pause for a minute with flashes of my drinking past reel in front of me. I don't want to ever live that life ever again. Gained a lot, but lost even more.
I thank God for this chance to sobriety and look forward to a healthy and peaceful life ahead. ahead.
God bless everyone one out there 😊

Noam19 05-29-2020 05:22 AM

That's wonderful Sunflower! It must be a weight off your shoulders to feel that. I'm in a good place as well, although I'm trying to just focus on today. I've had a couple slip ups this year, but the last 5 months overall I have felt amazing without alcohol playing a major role in my life. It's still at the forefront of my mind every day. Writing my affirmations and checking in here is part of my routine and I have to at least acknowledge my negative relationship with alcohol...but maybe that's not a bad thing. If you don't think about it at all maybe that allows that AV to be a little more sneaky. I don't know.

Regardless, I'm happy for you and wish you all the best in your continued recovery!

Sunflower1964 05-29-2020 05:42 AM

I do still think about alcohol daily. Not necessarily that I want it but how it was there - all the time, every day. I have a feeling that those thoughts will never totally go away. I know it's going to be a lifelong struggle. I was just so surprised that the thought that I would never drink again even entered my mind. I will still only live this journey one day at a time, it has worked well so far!
I have attempted to stop drinking many times and always thought I could go back to 'social' drinking after a while. I think until I admitted to myself that I could NOT drink again, that I'm an alcoholic, I just couldn't do it. I still have a long way to go and lots of steps to take but glad to be on this path.

Rus 05-29-2020 06:23 AM

Great and wish you all the best Sunflower 😊

Dee74 05-29-2020 05:29 PM

Great post Sunflower1964 - :tyou :)

D