Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

If this weekend was like others - Weekenders 29 May - 01 June 2020

Notices

If this weekend was like others - Weekenders 29 May - 01 June 2020

Old 05-31-2020, 08:33 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Happy 1st June.

the days start getting shorter in three weeks.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:49 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Magsie

What happened to January through to May?
Old 05-31-2020, 10:06 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Thanks Andy happy new month to you and everyone too.

Well it is another sunny day and that certainly helps lift spirits and kill covid germs.

I have a hospital appointment at 10am that has been changed to a phone call. Funny thing is it is for a specific xray so not sure how that is going to work. I don't think technology has advanced that much yet.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:40 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL. I'd rather the phone call tho Mags

D
Old 05-31-2020, 10:50 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, thanks for those articles bim. As MesaMan says they need time for considered reading. The pandemic is not going away so it's a good idea to stay informed and bepsychologically prepared for a different normal.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:25 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Magsie

All the best with your X-ray appointment by phone Kaily. We’re getting more like Star Trek every day! As Mr. Spock would say ‘beam me up Scotty’ .
Old 06-01-2020, 12:26 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Magsie

Andy, don’t forget White Rabbits!
Old 06-01-2020, 01:49 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Morning Kaily, this is undoubtedly confirmation of what I suspected all along - our phones are in fact emitting copious amounts of radiation! Hopefully dentist appointments will also be capable of being done telephonically in the near future. On a more serious note, I hope it is all satisfactory and good news for you.

A cold but sunny day over here. I popped into the office quickly this morning. I still feel a bit uncomfortable with the opening of the economy (Covid Level 3) coinciding with the highest rise in infection count since the lockdown started. At least my employer is sympathetic in that employees who can do so may still work mainly from home.

Vinny, I agree we miss you. However, I’m sure whatever you are doing is working out fine for you.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:17 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
What happened to January through to May?

Precisely.

Almost half of 2020 gone???

Feel as if I've awoken from suspended animation.

When I was a child, my elders told me it would be like this.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Happy Monday weekenders, yes the months are flying by...

I was very much impressed by the SpaceX / NASA antics over the weekend. The launch was all about sheer power, the first stage landing and docking remarkable acts of precision. I liked the idea that as test pilots Bob and Doug were over the moon (almost literally) at having a new space ship to test out.

Sunshine here - it's going to be another hot one. Lockdown rules have been relaxed quite a bit allowing groups of up to 6 to meet in the open air. In our little corner of the country though the infection rate hasn't dipped much so there's a chance it might bounce back up. We'll all do our best I suppose.

Thinking of you all as we march soberly onwards.... Forwards.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:51 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Our Covid numbers here in Washington are testing at around 6% positive. Most of the tested people have shown symptoms consistent with Covid. Since they say many are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms and I'm guessing a lot of people who have symptoms decide not to get tested, then I'm assuming the 6% is about a third of the actual number. Maybe less, like 25%. So that would put the already-had-it rate at somewhere near 20-30%. That's a good thing, means more people may have immunity, but it's a bad thing because 70% of us don't, and it's still spreading so there are even more opportunities for it to touch us all.

Be careful out there. Kaily, I'm pretty sure we still can't get it over the phone. . . assuming your phone is disinfected.

Buckle up, ya'll. Here we go. Looks like our lockdown has quietly ended. Not much talk from the powers in charge. Not much traffic out there, either. Speaking of power...

The SpaceX astronauts said the "power" part of the trip was very bumpy. Yeah. I can only imagine.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:09 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Monday here and things remained peaceful over the weekend right where I live. Got out on the kayak and tried to fish on Saturday. I say tried because the fishing was terrible. I only caught one sunfish (they are small, maybe 6-7 inches long) and the man friend didn't catch anything. To be fair, he spent about half the time we were out not even fishing. He just kind of hung out and relaxed and offered me tips and pointers. Recommended lures and whatnot. It was great to be away from media for the day. It's all so exhausting.

It's about to get really hot and humid here. I have my windows open next to my desk for now but I'll be closing them soon. I might sneak away from my desk soon to go outside to work on a couple of yard projects before it gets really uncomfortable outside.

I hope Vinny is ok. And welcome to the newcomers. Hope you made it through the weekend ok. It does get easier as time goes by. And I have never regretted not drinking on a weekend. Not once.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:27 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

No drinking this weekend for me. Have a Dr appointment for blood work and an ENT appointment. Praying for some health answers.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:28 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Oh, and I just watched the squirrel obstacle course video. It made me laugh and smile, and I needed that! It's delightful. Thanks, cityboy.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Well nobody phoned me. But my Dad has actually been contacted and I am taking him to the hospital Wednesday for his long awaited lung scan. So I still get to go...if they let me in!

I wonder about my lack of worry about Covid. That said I do worry about others getting it and the devastating effect it is having on the world but not actually about me catching it. I guess I would worry more if I was commuting on public transport. I have no qualms about going shopping, even went to the garden centre the other day. I think I kinda just accept I might or might not get it. Probably I am too blase I know, but I can't help how I feel. And I am in no way dismissing how others feel and sorta feel bad for not feeling the same.

Rambling on...
Old 06-01-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Looks like our lockdown has quietly ended. Not much talk from the powers in charge.
I guess I should say, the expiration on the state-wide lockdown was May 31. Some counties have moved into a Phase something-or-other. We haven't.

The county where I live is still under a lot of restrictions. I just have no need to know exactly what they are today. I'm not changing much at the moment.

The zoo laid off 25% of its workforce. I'm sure they expected it, they have a lot of (what seems to me to be) extraneous staffing even on regular days.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:00 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mamatembo View Post
No drinking this weekend for me. Have a Dr appointment for blood work and an ENT appointment. Praying for some health answers.
Well done! Hope you get your health concerns sorted out quickly.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:09 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
saoutchik

All the best Mamatembo, I hope you get some (good) answers. Knowledge is power.

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
The SpaceX astronauts said the "power" part of the trip was very bumpy. Yeah. I can only imagine.
I saw that. Reading between the lines I think they might suffered from something called pogo oscillation which sounds amusing (well it does to me) but is actually extremely dangerous. It did for the unmanned Apollo 6.

Today is the first full day I have done at work for ages. It has been OK but the novelty has worn off now. Still, it's nice to be able to annoy my co-workers again.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:18 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Also...why did the camera suspiciously cut out just before the First Stage landing on the ASDS? The conspiracy theorists will be ranting about that for months.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:32 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Mamatembo, well done! Hope your health questions are answered and you are treated successfully.

Kaily, hope all goes well with your Dad’s appointment.

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of more virtual services, too - especially the time when I can stick my head into a computer screen and have a hair cut. On that note, I have purchased some trimming/texturing shears and have been watching “Cut your own bangs at home” how-to videos so that’s I can forego a trip to a stylist for a few more months. Our rate of infection is at about 6% too but, unfortunately, the rate of positive cases are rising in our zip code and county; I don’t have a good comfort level for going to a salon just yet.

I can’t imagine what the astronauts experienced in their journey. The G-force on some of Disney rides is too much for me.