Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

If this weekend was like others - Weekenders 29 May - 01 June 2020

Notices

If this weekend was like others - Weekenders 29 May - 01 June 2020

Old 05-30-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It was an impressive launch Leigh. It has been a long time since I watched one.

https://youtu.be/_M0IFdGqovY
Old 05-30-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link, Sao.

I cannot imagine how exhilarating this must be for these astronauts. So much education, training and preparation for this day. It is now reality.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:59 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Thanks for the launch links, most certainly interesting. Hard to believe travelling to the moon could be a normal occurrence for many in the near future. ‘Bringing moon rock‘ back from your holidays could be the norm.

There’s a pheasant outside making a lot of racket. He’s maybe calling his mate. I noticed how cheeky the blackbirds are. They don’t seem to have any fear of humans. They’ll hop on the back step or follow us about in the garden...probably hoping we’ll dig up a piece of ground for them to forage. Very comical to watch though.

I had to look what day it is, a regular occurrence nowadays. It’s Sunday, but not like the Sundays I used to have, I’m thankful it’s a sober one.

See you later, please be safe. xx

Old 05-30-2020, 10:29 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Amazing stuff going into space. I am proud of myself when I drive down a motorway!

Mags I just heard on the news that anyone shielding will officially be able to go out for walks. You can go to the beach... early. Yay.

I was nearly smoked out of my house yesterday by my neighbours bbq. Goodness knows what they put on it. Very inconsiderately they it located right by my backdoor with just a fence between them. When I went up to bed there was still smoke lingering around my bedroom.

Alfie is on a fitness drive (he doesn't know) so I am taking him swimming on top of his walks everyday while the weather is nice. Once again he is exhausted .

Happy healthy Sunday everyone.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, I bet Alfie loves swimming, he looked like he did on your photo a few days ago.
Your neighbours were a bit thoughtless with their barbecue.

I heard the news about letting the shielded out. I’ll be going out like you say, at the crack of dawn! Tide’s in at 7am. I’ll still be giving people a wide berth, this isn’t over yet.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:41 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Mags,

Thanks for the launch links, most certainly interesting. Hard to believe travelling to the moon could be a normal occurrence for many in the near future. ‘Bringing moon rock‘ back from your holidays could be the norm.
For a moment I thought, "Oh, I could add it to my large rock collection," then I remembered I'm not a billionaire.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I've been walking every day. Going to the store. There are now way more people with the virus than there were in March. It hasn't and won't be going away.

I can't just lock myself up forever, even if I'm vulnerable.

Like I said on Day One...something is going to get me. No one gets out alive. I've added Covid19 to the very long list of ways I might die. Do what I can within reason to be safe and then let the rest go.

Here's some interesting new stuff: (Caution: lots of discussion of how the disease works, it might be disturbing for some)

https://elemental.medium.com/coronav...g-2c4032481ab2

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...937-5/fulltext
Old 05-31-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Exact Bim, we can't lock ourselves up forever.

I'm in a very secure position, living alone, traveling by car to my job, working in a close office with no coworkers within 100 ft.
I consider myself lucky but I still have to go buy food and things...

I still don't know a single person who got the Covid - not even friends of a friend. Zero.

I touch wood they will find a vaccine before the end of 2020.

The first link was very interesting, thanks
Have a good day ☼
Old 05-31-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Moon rock souvenirs, cool.

I can see it now. A sign as you exit the shuttle - "In order to preserve the integrity of the park, please do not remove the moon rocks for souvenirs".
Old 05-31-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, I have always thought you’re very wise over this virus.You’re so cautious when you go out and get back home. I learnt from you to removed my outside clothes when I got home and put them in the washer. A good move I think.
I never thought about the cost of travelling to the moon, , I guess it won’t be on my holiday destinations any time soon.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I definitely want a moon rock souvenir.

The birds here are cheeky too mags. The house we bought was a flip. I think birds ran the place for years while it was run down. Now they act like this is their place and we are invaders. Ha
Old 05-31-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Bim, I have always thought you’re very wise over this virus.You’re so cautious when you go out and get back home. I learnt from you to removed my outside clothes when I got home and put them in the washer. A good move I think.
I never thought about the cost of travelling to the moon, , I guess it won’t be on my holiday destinations any time soon.
I'm getting better all the time, and I have learned quite a bit from forums. I still know that I'm not 100% perfect: I make mistakes every day.

The one thing I would not do - no matter what the official restrictions are - is eat food prepared by anyone outside my own home. I worked in restaurants for a very long time and there is just no way to make them safe with this particular virus. People are gonna people, and I know I can't stop myself from touching my own face - I absolutely cannot trust anyone else or hold them to a different standard. I CAN make my own food and containers at home safe.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:01 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Frightening articles, Bim, but great information. Knowledge is a huge component in fighting this. We have ordered half-baked, carry out pizza and placed it in the 400 degree oven upon our return.

Mags, blackbirds are fearless or so it certainly seems. I have tried to frighten them away from nesting turtles without success. I am sure I frightened the neighbors in the process, though.

CK, I have a close relative whose doctor feels he had the disease but had no COVID test kits at the time. Symptoms were mild to moderate, although he was very sick, so he quarantined at home. He recovered in about 2-3 weeks. He will have anti-body tests.

CityBoy, - signs in the moon park!

The connection maneuvering and connection with the ISS were amazing. I am sure that there is no space flight in my future, likely no space rocks either, but I would absolutely love to experience weightlessness - it’s on my bucket list.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:43 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Anyone in contact with Vman?

Vman, check in, bud. Miss you.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:57 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Many thanks for those Article Links, Bim. That first one is definitely Gold, and both are now Bookmarked. That quality of reading is all I absorb these Days occasionally to remain informed sans overload, and to keep the Serenity-dispersing Bumtrons at bay.

As you said, Sober Mornings still rock the Casbah 'round here. The Brekkie I made was a Scramble of tasty items on hand. Then, I got Sinks and Toilets and the Tub scrubbed. Weeds wacked with the new Lithium Battery-powered String Trimmer. Knocked off my 2 Mile Speed Walk Course up to the nearest County Road and back. Miscellaneous 'stuff' now cycling in the new, quiet Washer/Dryer.

To keep Life interesting, our local Mask Militia has confronted MesaMate twice, and a Pal once re: them wearing Masks. This Fellow angrily muttering under his breath at MM, and a Grocery Store Employee at Self-Checkout. MesaMate had finally had it, and said: 'Just what is your problem? This Mask protects you, too'. He stomped out. The Employee thanked her for saying something. Meanwhile, our Pal won the Putdown Prize in a separate encounter. Some local Gomer in the same Store just can't let Folks live their lives, right? He confronts my Pal and says 'You don't have to wear that Mask around ME'! My Pal shoots back the lie 'Well, I just got back from China, and there's a lot of sick People there'. Gomer backs off with this horrified look on his Face. A total BS lie that's now stored in my Mental Hard Drive under the 'Snappy Comebacks' File. Perfect for CovIdiots.

And, so it goes here in Redneck Nation. Peonies from our BFF's Garden are providing offsetting Good Karma while Techno Chill Music streams through the Stereo via the InterWebz...

Old 05-31-2020, 09:59 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Mamatembo View Post
The birds here are cheeky too mags. The house we bought was a flip. I think birds ran the place for years while it was run down. Now they act like this is their place and we are invaders. Ha
Pigeons treat my balcony like a spring break holiday venue. They trash it and fly home.

I hope everything is copacetic VMan.

When I was a kid I assumed going to the Moon would be normal. There is a pub not far from me called the Howl at the Moon.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:22 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I have peonies in a vase too. Man, the whole place has peony-fragrance. Pretty great.

I like how the International Space Station or some part of the communications is having audio difficulties. "Can you hear me now? How 'bout now? How about if you hook up that wire? You're breaking up..."

I think Hurley must have bumped his head coming through the hatch. He keeps touching his forehead and looking at his fingers...Now he's doing it with a tissue...Medic! Don't touch anything, you have blood cooties on your fingers!

Ew, see! they're passing that microphone around without washing his hands! Aack! Where's the hand sanitizer??
Old 05-31-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I miss Vman too. I think he left us for Zoom! I hope whatever he is doing is working.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:32 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Ditto, on missing Vman, and hoping he is doing well.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I have peonies in a vase too. Man, the whole place has peony-fragrance. Pretty great.
I like how the International Space Station or some part of the communications is having audio difficulties. "Can you hear me now? How 'bout now? How about if you hook up that wire? You're breaking up..
Bim, reminded me of when we were kids having to hold up and Ariel to get a better signal on the tele. We’d probably have the same ordeal on the moon!

Vinny, best wishes from me too. Hope the zoom meetings are going well.

MesaMan, me too, I read all I can about this invisible force that’s barged into our world. Nice Peony flowers.