Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

If this weekend was like others - Weekenders 29 May - 01 June 2020

Notices

If this weekend was like others - Weekenders 29 May - 01 June 2020

Old 05-29-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

"That guy has too much time on his hands " - That was my first thought as well.

Alfie looks like he's going like a little motorboat in that picture.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

CityBoy, what a fantastic video. Gotta love engineers (where would we be without those brilliant minds) and, yes, especially those with too much time on their hands. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

All this talk of Squirrels and The Afterlife made me think of this one -

'Hell' ~ Squirrel Nut Zippers

Classic Animation re-imagined from the 1929 Disney Short Silly Symphony.

We just got a Federal 'Stimulus' Check for $2,600-, so I'll probably order in some of those Sauna Pants that PhoenixJ linked the Ad for last Weekenders ;-) After that, we figger the rest of the Money should reside in our Bank Account for now. Some Fiscal Rainy Days are likely ahead during which that Money might come in handy.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Leigh, regarding some future Celebration for MesaMate. I think/hope we'll make it out to the beloved California Coast later this Summer in the RV Trailer while avoiding People and their Cooties. We're getting our safe routines down. Like, Dining In for Fine Trailer Cuisine vs. going out. Especially since we practice 'Safe Six' to stay clear of others, and can shop off-peak. Occasional challenges around here in The Land Of The Mask-Impaired have simplified when to Shop. Or not...
Old 05-29-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

It’s the simple and safe life here, too, MesaMan. The riskiest we have been is picking up pre-paid take-out pizza at a designated time and popping it back into our oven to reheat. It tasted so delicious and was such a treat.

We took sandwiches and fruit to a secluded area in the dunes one evening and enjoyed the sunset and stargazing - it was also a treat.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:24 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I'll join in, I'm on day 12 and this will be my.second weekend sober. Been really productive this week and lots to do over the weekend too!
Old 05-29-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I enjoyed that video of the squirrels, especially the careful analysis of what happens to a catapulted squirrel. We gave up on bird feeders because of squirrels (we have red Douglas Squirrels or "Chickarees" here). And I just gave up on painting on account of yellow jackets or paper wasps or whatever are those things that sting and have a nest right where I need to paint. Mrs. CF has kindly run to the hardware store for bug spray (one of those cans that shoots from ten feet away). Will spray them later on when they have settled down, then try to finish painting the dormer tomorrow.

The County requires masks in businesses and public places, but I saw some (apparently) tourists in town the other day without masks, looking for an open shop. I doubt any store owners would deny entry to potential customers. Many of the stores on Main Street have shuttered permanently.

Stay sober and safe, everyone!
Old 05-29-2020, 04:45 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Welcome, zombie79!
Old 05-29-2020, 05:05 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Hawkeye and Kaily.

Guys the mods and admins have decided that discussion on the current state of affairs in MN is outside the scope of this forum and posts have been removed in other threads because members have told us they feel triggered.

I understand that some of you guys live there, and that many more of us are viscerally affected by events like this but for SR to keep doing what we do we have to fall back to the rules.

2.Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums. ​​​​​​
I realise some of you may not like this interpretation of the rule but I'd ask you to support the rules we all signed up for.

As always, if you violently disagree send me a PM, please don't post here.

Dee
Administrator
SR

Old 05-29-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hello all, I hit 48 hours sober. So far so good. I hope that I can sleep tonight. Only got 4 hours last night. Ugh!
Old 05-29-2020, 06:25 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 2 days down travelbug
Hope tonight is more restful for you.

D
Old 05-29-2020, 10:30 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Hi zombie79

Hi travelbug

Kaily, So sorry about Matilda.

Bim, Our cats are a great comfort and company to us, I hope when the time comes, your cat has no pain.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:47 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Congrats on two days travelbug. The sleeping will begin getting much better.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:26 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Zombie79!
Congratulations on 48 hours travelling.
Sorry about Matilda Kaily, I had been wondering why you didn't mention her.

Excellent video Cityboy, squirrels are incredible athletes and extremely tenacious which is a good combo. As Kaily mentioned I once held a Squirrel Taste Test Challenge and hazlenuts were what they ate first, even ahead of macadamia nuts which are pricey in the UK.

Sending positive vibes to anyone affected by the events in Minneapolis. Staying sober and alert would seem more important than ever.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:28 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

morning all. Happy Caturday.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:20 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Not sure if I've mentioned before, when we lived in town my wife planted some catnip in the plant bed just outside the window from our bedroom. We could hear the cats howling through the night and in the morning it would be beaten down. It didn't last too long and she didn't plant it again. I could imagine a scene like andy's video through the night.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:20 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

That gif is slightly creepy.

Sober Saturday morning never gets old. Never.

I would have slept till noon and laid on the couch all day if this weekend was like other weekends (back then.) Now I'm up early and feeling great!
Old 05-30-2020, 10:09 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Yes.....the gif is slightly creepy and I also would have slept late and done nothing with the day.

Today.....I have done loads of laundry and gardening and washed my filthy car. And it is only 1pm. So nice.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:19 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Less than five minutes to SpaceX launch!

oh my gosh, the video is incredible. I am blown away.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:41 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I was a young child in grade school when I, and my classmates, watched the launch of the first American into space. The difference in visuals is exponentially better.

I cannot fathom how technically precise the operation must be order for the newly orbiting ship to meet and connect with the ISS. My simple brain cannot begin to grasp.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:51 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

For anyone who would like to watch continuing live coverage from NASA of this mission, just log on to theverge.com.