Notices

Physical changes

Old 05-27-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physical changes

So, there was this one awful night right before I got sober where I drank a ton and woke up in bed with blood all over my face, several chipped front teeth and a very sore nose. My nose hurt for a good two weeks and it didn’t ever occur to me that I had, oh idk, broken it.

So now i’m A bit over three months sober and have lost 30 lbs and my nose just does not look the same. It’s a different nose. Idk why it took substantial weight loss for me to tell, but I really think I broke it and now i’m Just here wondering what to do. I guess plastic surgery if I really want it fixed? I feel like I screwed the pooch on this one.

Anyway, my husband asked me this morning if I noticed any physical changes since my sober start date and this was my first thought. If you have an “i’ve Been there” Story I would love to hear it.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry about your nose PK.

D
Old 05-27-2020, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ouch! Maybe if the plastic surgeon documents that your nose was broken, your insurance will cover the fix?
I am jealous as all get-out of your weight loss. Between the stay-at-home order and not drinking, I'm eating everything but the furniture. Really need to get back on Atkins.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Noses were made to be broken partner!

Seriously though it would take an hour to lost all of the injuries and disfigurements that occurred when I was drinking. Teeth? Check. Nose? Check. Skull? Check. Hands, knuckles, toes, ribs, lip, and road rash all down the side of my body from a motorcycle crash on Christmas of 2019? Check.

We are just lucky to get out alive.

Personally I find people with little oddities very endearing. In fact, I miss those oddities years later if me and a gal break up (even if I don’t miss her, lol). But if it affects your self esteem too bad or for too long, a nose is a very common and simple thing to fix. $2,000-$5,000 typically (I know two people who have done it). But watch out for the pain pills. Keep your head up tho, you’re doing amazing and congrats on the weight loss!

Old 05-28-2020, 12:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep, loads of injuries here too. Bump, cut, scraps, bruises, taking skin of shins, getting stuck in barbed wire...........as BAMB said lucky to be alive and in one piece.

Brilliant on the weight loss. I lost about 25 pounds when I first stopped, but 7 lockdown pounds have crept back on. Walked 4 miles last night, so working on it.....
Old 05-28-2020, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the stories and encouragement, all! The more I think about it, the more I think I might have done something to inadvertently cause my death if I had continued. Aside from all the health stuff anyway, I guess. And I wouldn't consider smashing my face into my tile floor the worst thing by far. Oh well. It's all done now.

I'm pleased with the weight loss but not drinking 2-3 bottles of wine a day will take some off with little work at the beginning at least. It's slowed down considerably now, of course.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I fell into a BBQ once. I have "grill scars" on my arm. They have faded somewhat, but still looks like I've "slashed up." Embarrassing.

Girl I knew in rehab fell face first first into her wine glass. Pretty girl, badly scarred. She continued to drink. So did I following the BBQ incident. Insane.

So many deaths attributable to trauma injury alcohol. I've been close so many times. Fell of a train. Fell off a ferry. Broke my sternum after walking into a pole. I bounced off. Someone's been looking after me. Thank you.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
vkf

Tons of toes, fingers, knuckles, teeth, lots of stitches and my claim to fame 2 car wrecks in 1 day (not driving buddy was). The last was about 45 or 50 down the interstate and I was in the bed of the truck. Talk about moronic eh'.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LilyLady1 View Post
Ouch! Maybe if the plastic surgeon documents that your nose was broken, your insurance will cover the fix?
I am jealous as all get-out of your weight loss. Between the stay-at-home order and not drinking, I'm eating everything but the furniture. Really need to get back on Atkins.
Lily, I'm reading a really good book right now called In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto. The main message is "Eat Food, Not too Much, Mostly Plants". It's an interesting book.