Notices

Going all in - accountability

Old 06-12-2020, 08:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day 19

Hi Bimini,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, from my recent diary entries, I've pinpointed Thursday as the day I start to tire from the working week. It's also when I'd my usual drinking weekends. I will make a plan for my midweek evenings next week.

I'm nearly 3 weeks in now and it's getting very challenging indeed. I'm having great difficulty trying to stop drinking fantasies, and my current conveyor belt of sober activities is getting tiresome.

Problems with my partner and housing situation are exacerbating things, too. I won't go into detail here, but the circumstances are tough.

Just feeling so many spiraling emotions and feel like I'm white-knuckling.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Resurgence, not one of us come to sobriety on a winning streak. Part of the reason I drank was to blot out or escape my reality. I could type out a few pages of how awful I thought things were in my life when I quit - but they really were manageable with some sober time.

Thursday - we called it "Friday Junior" - I agree it is when the grind of the workweek can start to get heavy. Friday drinking/drinking for the weekend is just how I started in my early drinking. Then Thursday, a "get-ready" drinking day. No one needs to be completely right on Friday, so drinking on Thursday is good!

Wednesday is hump day. That's a good reason to have a drink.

Monday. I hate Monday. Still hungover. A drink will make that better.

Tuesday. Well, maybe just one.

You know the drill.

No day is a good day to drink for me, and every day still wasn't enough.

Thing about the speedy emotions and the anxiety in early sobriety - they do die down, but every time you go back to drinking you have to go through that awful part again. White knuckling through the first week or so is completely normal. It's super uncomfortable. It will get better.

Maybe do a little reading about Mindfulness. Watch what you allow to stick around in your head. I am very careful about what I let my crazy brain dredge up and spin. It takes some practice, but don't torture yourself with your own thoughts.

Here's a great read from the sticky threads in "Anxiety."

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...anagement.html (Emotional Memory Management)
Old 06-12-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Resurgence, just catching up on your thread. Glad that you are continuing in your sobriety. As the days get difficult double down on your quit and come here often.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Alcohol - 36 days / Weed - 95 days

Five weeks sober; longest stretch in approximately five years.

Realised, having been told here, that recovery is a long process, and I've been guilty of treating it like something I have to 'solve.'

Need to engage here more to keep me on the right track - because once I go off, it'll take me months or years to get back.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to the July support thread? I really need to bolster my recovery efforts and help others.

Thanks all,
RS

Old 06-29-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Resurgence View Post
Alcohol - 36 days / Weed - 95 days

Five weeks sober; longest stretch in approximately five years.

Realised, having been told here, that recovery is a long process, and I've been guilty of treating it like something I have to 'solve.'

Need to engage here more to keep me on the right track - because once I go off, it'll take me months or years to get back.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to the July support thread? I really need to bolster my recovery efforts and help others.

Thanks all,
RS
Join us in the June Class. Well done on your sober time.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The July class has yet to be created. You are more than welcome in any thread but your class would be the May one and would put you with everyone that quit right around when you did.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

The July thread is not up yet as its still June

the May 2020 thread can be found on this page

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...pport-threads/

the June thread is currently in the Newcomers forum (this one)

D