Notices

My new sobriety journal

Old 06-17-2020, 02:15 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Try not to think about being lonely and spend your free time recovering. You will find the more you step outside the more people you will meet. You can do this!
Old 06-17-2020, 06:39 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

It's hard for folks like us to learn to think things through BABM. It is still a skill that I am working on having never done it once in my first 5.5 decades. But I will tell you that once the practice takes hold and becomes a habit, it is a treasure to have in your toolbox. The ability to see things coming down the road from far away. So much time to think. To adjust, to shift. I'm glad you are sober. I will give you a bit of tough love - sending your ex a necklace and in the same breath telling her that you won't talk to her anymore is sending the most mixed up of messages. Those are the things we need to think through BABM. Not criticizing. Not knowing who we are or whether to scratch our watches or wind our butts is a universal trait among us nag-headed addicts. You are such a smart caring person and I hope you stay sober.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:52 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Sort yourself out and try (really try) to be a better man before trying to get a woman to support you. This necklace things seems totally over the top. Your references to different 'exes' is a constant in your posts. You have often referred to episodes involving exes (not sure if one or more) where you were really not very nice.

None of us is entitled to anybody else's. Loneliness is really hard and most humans feel very lonely very often. But we are not entitled to anybody to fill that gap. It requires lots of effort and real investment to share life with others. Alcohol does not help. Sharing anything with an active alcoholic is extremely hard if you are not one yourself.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but as a woman, I must say you come across as a bit scary. As someone who is addicted to alcohol, but managed to keep herself sober for the last 11 months, complaining about loneliness into day 8 (and you do this a lot) only means you are looking (again) for your usual excuses to drink.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
It's hard for folks like us to learn to think things through BABM. It is still a skill that I am working on having never done it once in my first 5.5 decades. But I will tell you that once the practice takes hold and becomes a habit, it is a treasure to have in your toolbox. The ability to see things coming down the road from far away. So much time to think. To adjust, to shift. I'm glad you are sober. I will give you a bit of tough love - sending your ex a necklace and in the same breath telling her that you won't talk to her anymore is sending the most mixed up of messages. Those are the things we need to think through BABM. Not criticizing. Not knowing who we are or whether to scratch our watches or wind our butts is a universal trait among us nag-headed addicts. You are such a smart caring person and I hope you stay sober.
It did sound bad the way I wrote it, but I actually sent the necklace days ago. I sent it because she was sad she'd be spending her birthday alone. She lives a state away, and the message said, "Congrats on your sobriety. " Then last night she was doing some of the codependent stuff we used to do and it suddenly because apparent this is unhealthy. I made is sound orchestrated, but it was organic. And it wasn't a lovey dovey necklace, it as an AA unity pendant to congratulate her on her sobriety. She didn't care a bit I was pulling away, and that made it clear I was doing the right thing.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackandScared View Post
Sort yourself out and try (really try) to be a better man before trying to get a woman to support you. This necklace things seems totally over the top. Your references to different 'exes' is a constant in your posts. You have often referred to episodes involving exes (not sure if one or more) where you were really not very nice.

None of us is entitled to anybody else's. Loneliness is really hard and most humans feel very lonely very often. But we are not entitled to anybody to fill that gap. It requires lots of effort and real investment to share life with others. Alcohol does not help. Sharing anything with an active alcoholic is extremely hard if you are not one yourself.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but as a woman, I must say you come across as a bit scary. As someone who is addicted to alcohol, but managed to keep herself sober for the last 11 months, complaining about loneliness into day 8 (and you do this a lot) only means you are looking (again) for your usual excuses to drink.
I think you've hit some truths in there but also find a way to be offensive. Never did I say I was entitled to anything. "Complaining" about loneliness is me expressing my feelings in my own sobriety journal. And I don't justify feeling lonely. I wouldn't bring it up if it weren't an issue I have with my sobriety. For the same reason I don't bring up food and hunger. I know I'm supposed to get hungry and I know how to fix that, by eating. Is this a surpise to you that some addicts feel lonely after they've spent their careers isolating themselves. Don't try to make me feel ashamed or wrong for feeling lonely. It is how I feel. I'm trying to work through it with the help from the group. And i don't need to look for excuses to drink. I drink for no reason and every reason. So are there any other feelings I should't express since loneliness is off the table (even though it is my prevailing challenge?). And since we're handing out directives, maybe someone should teach you to speak for yourself. Maybe you should say, "I THINK you are looking for reasons to drink again," instead of stating things matter of factly as though you have all of the answers. Like you said I sound scary, you sound insufferable.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:45 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

As many others (I suspect) I do read much more than I write. And I have read you many times. We all tend to follow patterns. Your issues with women are often there and 'loneliness' as a reason/trigger/whatever you want to call it.
I knew my message was not a nice one to receive and I can be completely wrong. No matter how carefully I try to read the messages of those willing to share here, I do not know you.

Your messages come across (to me) as quite aggressive and entitled in your relationships with women. This is a massive (negative) conclusion to draw from a few messages, even if I have read all your posts. It is also not my style to be this critical. We are all entitled to our feelings and our emotions. What we do with them is what counts. There are no bad thoughts per se. You can have the most horrible feelings. We all do. What we do with these feelings is what defines our time on earth.

My message my hit a nerve or miss the point completely. My intention is to help but I accept that I may have been very unhelpful and I sincerely apologise if this is the case.

What I am telling you is that, from where I watch, you follow a pattern in your behaviour that always ends with you drinking again. So perhaps you can check it out.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackandScared View Post

What I am telling you is that, from where I watch, you follow a pattern in your behaviour that always ends with you drinking again. So perhaps you can check it out.
A pattern. So you mean a pattern of going to 1-2 AA meetings a day, do you mean the pattern of calling my sponsor daily. Praying, exercising, reaching out to others, posting on this board, seeing a mental health clinician, making attempts to remove negative people from my life, taking medication to deal with depression and anxiety, taking medication to quell the cravings? You mean like those patterns? You pluck loneliness, which is naturally occurring and not something I'm actively pursuing, and say that's my pattern. Oye vay. And this business about being aggressive with women? That term is SO offensive. I don't even know what that is. If you mean with my ex-gf, there is some anger for the things she did, her actual behavior and activities she did when her addiction was active and raging. But aggressive with women is something I've never been even remotely accused of and being the father of two independent, strong-willed daughters, it's one of the most offensive things you can say, and as you said, based on a such a small sample. That's like me saying, you come across as annoying and like a know-it-all. From your two posts. Does that describe you well?

Ugh, I'm done. I'm headed away from where I want to be emotionally today.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:07 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I do not think this exchange is useful BABM. I feel the need to say I did not state you were aggressive with women. I said your message came across as quite aggressive in describing your relationship with women. I feel the same way about some content in your last message.

And of course, I can come across as an annoying know-it-all person to you too. It is even possible that it is a fair definition. I have worked in a profession where this kind of human abounds for two decades which suggest that I am likely to fit the category. I don't see how this can help you though.
As I said, it is clear my message was not helpful to you
Old 06-17-2020, 10:20 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hey now BABM, it causes an old man like me too much stress when two people I respect are fighting. Let's take a breath. So much is lost in translation in this imperfect digital world.

Let me tell you that your words rationally lead to one possible observation that you have very unhealthy relationships with women. It is a theme I've noticed in your writings and I think you should avoid all romantic entanglements like the plague for the next few years. Like BackAndScared said, I could be wrong about all of it. Again, so much is lost in translation. But if you feel enough anxiety, worry, jealousy, disappointment, anger, etc. caused by some of your past relationships to write about it here in the google-sphere, it is a distinct possibility that your partners are feeling all of that in magnified fashion and it might be unsettling. To my point - our pickers are broken and we shouldn't be picking anyone for the time being.

Please stay here and post and tell me I'm wrong, etc., but I beg you to not let your anger ramp up too much.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Yep, ok.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

How is it going BABM?
Old 06-19-2020, 08:38 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
How is it going BABM?
Doing really well. I’m on day 11. My 3 kids are here and we’ve been enjoying each other’s company. I’ve been building a fence in the backyard, that project is almost done and I’ll make the kids paint it 😃. You hanging in there?
Old 06-19-2020, 11:08 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I am and am just finishing up day 1. Glad that your kids are there now. Enjoy them!
Old 06-22-2020, 12:52 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

How are you today BABM?
Old 06-22-2020, 06:05 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
How are you today BABM?
Hi Fallow. I’m doing, cautiously, well. Thank you for asking. I’m wrapping up day 13. I’ve had some pretty junky things thrown my way in the past day or so but I’m really keeping my wits. My kids were here for the past 4 days which helps tremendously. I’ve also been putting up some good boundaries with people that aren’t good for me. Anxiety is dying down, activity level is ramping up. I’ve been having some cravings, but so far nothing I can’t deal with. Sleep is still caca. I want to stay sober so bad.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:35 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

BABM, glad to hear that you are keeping your wits. Keep that desire to stay sober and post if you need help with the AV. Thank you for your response in my AV HELP thread.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:01 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

That is great BABM!!! It is good to keep potentially toxic things out of your life, including toxic people. Keep moving and keep being sober. It really is the only way to run a railroad.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:45 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 13 days. Let's put on our classics and have a little dance to celebrate!

https://youtu.be/I1jgDDBg_Nc
Old 06-24-2020, 10:12 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
Hi Fallow. I’m doing, cautiously, well. Thank you for asking. I’m wrapping up day 13. I’ve had some pretty junky things thrown my way in the past day or so but I’m really keeping my wits. My kids were here for the past 4 days which helps tremendously. I’ve also been putting up some good boundaries with people that aren’t good for me. Anxiety is dying down, activity level is ramping up. I’ve been having some cravings, but so far nothing I can’t deal with. Sleep is still caca. I want to stay sober so bad.
Good to hear things are going in the right direction. Don't be a stranger.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:23 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hows it going?