Notices

Alcoholic Neuropathy, anyone?

Old 05-22-2020, 12:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Neuropathy, anyone?

Hi guys,

Does anybody have any experience with Alcoholic Neuropathy? I think I might suffer from it in some form, just from research I've done.

Everytime I relapse, my latest ending just three days ago, I ALWAYS suffer from my skin tingling all over and/or really bad muscle spasms/jerks all over around day2/day3 mark. I hardly got a wink of sleep last night because everytime I'd start to drift off I'd get this quite robust push on back that would make me jerk forward, then less severe jerks along different areas of my body: feet, calves, shoulders... But also oddly my head, neck and even lips. It isn't sore just disturbing at times as ye have no idea where and when it's going to strike. Anybody has similar?

I usually think of Day 3 as "The Devil Day" from experience, but I don't feel too bad other then the spasm jolts, but I guess I'm yet to get out of bed so I'm sure I'll be but with something else as soon as I do.

hope you are well,
Andrew
Old 05-22-2020, 01:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Jenno

Neuropathy for me is more usually how I describe nerve pain, coldness or numbness or the opposite - firey semsations - pins and needles too.

I've certainly those kind of jerks or spams but I have a disability with manifests itself that way anyway

Unless you've had a significant period of not drinking, it's going to be hard for anyone to assess whether this is withdrawal related or something more chronic, but seeing a doctor could help.
They're going to tell you to stop drinking tho

Do you have any ideas on a plan to stay sober Andy?

D
Old 05-22-2020, 02:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, hi Dee, I remember you.

Yeah I keep on getting a good stretch sober but just by winging it, always ends in disaster. Therein lies the answer I think, I'm not really putting the requires effort in, unconsciously thinking 'ah sure, it's bound to happen one day this sobriety thing'. But I have been taking steps the last week. Met a guy out of nowhere I was in treatment here in Ireland with years ago. He's been sober since, so we had a good chat and meeting him to outline a plan tomorrow. I do like this forum so I'm going to get more active on it. Any advice with it, it seems to work for you?

​​​​​​Keep saying I'll look into checking out online meetings during lockdown but haven't yet. You tried any?

You based in Europe or elsewhere yourself?

Andrew
Old 05-22-2020, 02:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey,

Worth speaking to a medical professional about. I had this and was dosed up on thiamine and was given benzodiazepines for a few days to prevent withdrawal.

it may not be your case, I can only speak from experience but defiantly worth getting checked out. Have you considered a trip to the ER if your own medical practitioner can’t see you on the day?

I don’t mean to scare you by this. Just went through severe withdrawal my self and without medical help I’m not sure I would have got through it. Alcohol is a very dangerous drug to come off alone. My own experience scared me so I always advise seek medical help. These chat rooms are great for some support but obviously everyone is different and you can’t rely on what someone says online who may have had a very different experience.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Buttery,

Thanks for reply.

I've been through a few similar to this. Last time I did as you said, downed a lot of thiaime, seemed to do the trick. I'll hold fire on the ER for the moment. I have had some horrific withdrawals myself over the years, this one doesn't seem quite as severe so far, fingers crossed.

Thanks again,
Andrew
Old 05-22-2020, 03:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also Buttery & Dee,

Quick question - I suffered bad enough knee injury about ten days ago, so they gave me painkillers for it.

I didn't take the painkillers while drinking. But now I'm in first few days recovering/in withdrawals, is it okay to take the painkillers for my knee?

I've been researching and it doesn't say anywhere it's a major issue and would negatively impact the severity of the withdrawal?

Andrew
Old 05-22-2020, 03:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Andyjenno81 View Post
Oh, hi Dee, I remember you.

Yeah I keep on getting a good stretch sober but just by winging it, always ends in disaster. Therein lies the answer I think, I'm not really putting the requires effort in, unconsciously thinking 'ah sure, it's bound to happen one day this sobriety thing'. But I have been taking steps the last week. Met a guy out of nowhere I was in treatment here in Ireland with years ago. He's been sober since, so we had a good chat and meeting him to outline a plan tomorrow. I do like this forum so I'm going to get more active on it. Any advice with it, it seems to work for you?

​​​​​​Keep saying I'll look into checking out online meetings during lockdown but haven't yet. You tried any?

You based in Europe or elsewhere yourself?

Andrew
Hi Andrew

I am in Australia
I have no background or experience in meeting based recovery - SR did the trick for me - right place right time I think..

I wouldn't put anyone else off trying meeting based approaches tho.
Try everything really - what have you got to lose?

Originally Posted by Andyjenno81 View Post
Also Buttery & Dee,

Quick question - I suffered bad enough knee injury about ten days ago, so they gave me painkillers for it.

I didn't take the painkillers while drinking. But now I'm in first few days recovering/in withdrawals, is it okay to take the painkillers for my knee?

I've been researching and it doesn't say anywhere it's a major issue and would negatively impact the severity of the withdrawal?

Andrew
As you probably know we can't give medical advice here.

I'm not a Doctor so I can't tell you what to do or whether it might interfere with your withdrawal.
Are you in enough pain to take painkillers?

The very best thing would be to ask your Doctor but if you're worried at the very least I'd do some due diligence and see if there's any known problems with the meds and you being 72 hours sober.

I'd consider it unlikely, but as I said, not a Doctor

D
Old 05-22-2020, 03:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

I'm at the pharmacy now, might just ask the chief pharmacist, he'd have an idea anyway.

Sorry, I forgot earlier you were one of the facilitators on SR.

Spent four happy years Down Under so hope you are all doing well.

Wish me luck with rest of the Dreaded Day 3.

Andrew
Old 05-22-2020, 03:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

All good with me Andy - very lucky down here.
Hope day 3 is kind to you

D
Old 05-22-2020, 04:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Andy,

I can’t say with the medication. Would be best to ask a professional. Usually medication doesn’t mix with alcohol, depending on how much you last had it can still be in your system and also yes the withdrawals.

Are you able to contact who ever provided the medication and ask for some advice?

If not the ER are you able to go to a walk in clinic or a consultation with a professional? I always found it very helpful and reassuring.
when I had the worst of the body twitches I was in severe withdrawal and had other symptoms. Hopefully not your case.

can I just ask where you are in the world? My detox was in the U.K. and the ER was very helpful at keeping me safe there and then for the worst of it but also received outpatient treatment to follow up.

and well done on stopping. Just make sure you have done it safely and not too suddenly.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Andy! Welcome back to SR. Day three is tough, I hope you have an easy one. Seeing the Dr. or at least calling is a great idea.
I had all kinds of symptoms while drinking and after quitting. My worst on day three was cravings. I stayed on SR a lot. Online meetings are helping a lot of people, too. I'm on day 46 and still not feeling great, but I'm older and have been doing this for an awfully long time. Hopefully you will feel better really fast.
I'm not only committed to sobriety, but also to improving my health. It's almost a hobby to me now, and I'm getting a lot of motivation and hope from it.
I'm working on diet and exercise and mental health, too. I've lost ten pounds, gotten my blood pressure under control and am getting more exercise. I do have tingling that I think is neuropathy, but I didn't mention it to my Dr. Not sure why, I guess I will if it doesn't get better.
I hope you have a fantastic sober journey. Let us know how you're doing.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The required answer is see a Dr. After that we can offer our experience, no medical adice.

One that note...

Until i quit drinking for a good long time I couldn't tell what was wrong with me. Basically, I was a sick sick puppy that was destined to die horribly and way too young.

I had physical issues similar to yours and all sorts of other terrible things that I have listed here for the last 4 years. They are all gone. I hurt now only because I push myself exercising.

If I kept relapsing, it was over.

I was lucky because somehow so far I have stayed quit.

Lately I feel great, but i have been sober for over 5 years. No rx meds either. Just otc stuff and supps.

The AV morphs because in spite of recalling all of my issues, thanks to your post, I still have a weak yearning to get wasted.

I was a degenerate sick drunk for 45 years. The saying is...old habits die hard.

I refuse to...die hard from old habits. I was lost until I found SR.

Education of what I was dealing with (lack of dopamine) and suffering (folks regret relapse after decades of clean time) is what kept me clean thus far.

One day, one hour, one moment at a time.

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your messages.

When I messaged SReSR this afternoon I wasn't feeling "too bad", but after going for lie down after I knew that I was in for a rough few days..., auditory hallucinations had already started and I could already envisage what tonight would be like regarding the visual ones. Also the muscle spasms were still very present.

So, I decided for once not to go through the hell of cold turkey, as in, I put on my jacket and went down the local ER (my GP was not on call today). Thankfully, the ER (non covit) was virtually empty, so was seen pretty quickly. I'm glad I did, because by the time made it her office I felt ten times worse (dreaded third day strikes again!).

Anyway, she did all the relevant tests and put me on an IV drip for glucose and vits etc. She prescribed me Lithium to get me through until I can see my GP on Tuesday. So taking them for next few days. Feel okay, hopefully get even few hours sleep,a three nights with one hour sleep.

Thanks guys, I probably wouldn't have gone if I hadn't touched base earlier, and I'm sure my Day 4 will probably be quite a bit better than if I hadn't have!

I will keep you posted.

Cheers, Andrew
Old 05-22-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you went to the ER - great choice Andrew
Old 05-22-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Andrew. After drinking enough, I've apparently done some permanent neurological damage to my body. Needles in my feet mainly which is not pleasant. After 6 months sober the Doc thinks likely permanent. Word to the wise. I look at it as a yet another reminder that being sober is the best way to live. A tool in my recovery toolkit.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Andy,

sorry It got worse.

you did the right thing! Hallucinations are very scary and it’s not knowing what comes next. In my case it was hallucinations that turned into body jolts and black flashes in my eyes. Hopefully after the ER gave you the glucose and the medication should help you through. It is all very scary but you can do it.

do you have any close friends or relatives who may be able to spend some time with you for the next couple or days for moral support and just to keep an eye?

Old 05-23-2020, 03:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How are you feeling today Andrew?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

Feeling so much better today thankfully.

Think it will still be a few days before functioning properly, but so far so good on Day 4.

And I tell you one thing, Librium is a god send if struggling through the horrors of those first few days of withdrawal. So glad I got off my ass feeling sorry for myself yesterday and went to the hospital to get what was needed.

I guess here in Ireland with our health care cover it might be easier to do so then in other countries, where it might be very expensive to do so. I think the vitamin drip they put me on also aided my recovery since yesterday, as I'm sure my body was craving some nutrients after being starved of them for weeks.

Anyway, I got what must be around 10 hours asleep last night. A miracle really! I guess my body was exhausted anyway, but it was first real deep sleep I've had in ages, where I wasn't waking up sweating or with crazy nightmares.

Taking it easy so far today. Addiction is such a bastard of a thing. Even after the horrors of last few days, for a brief moment had I a thought about a drink, then I quickly shut off the thought, logged onto SR and I am writing this which has helped. Going for a walk now to, lovely day in Dublin.

How is everybody else doing today? Happy Memorial Day weekend to the folks over there in the US.

Andrew
Old 05-23-2020, 08:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh and no hallucinations to speak of last night, just a small bit of muscle twitching
Old 05-23-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I had three cans of beer hiding down the back of my fridge. So I decided to do the ceremonial ritual of opening them and pouring them straight down the toilet, so now there is no reminder anywhere in the house of any kind of alcohol.

Andrew