Notices

I知 drinking

Old 05-21-2020, 01:17 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Day one is today. It's rough as hell. But today is the day.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:44 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Great news, BABM, I've read your posts, you sound like a loving father.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to read that day one BABM. Build on it.

D
Old 05-21-2020, 06:42 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
quat

Congratulations on your decision! You can do this, Rootin for ya
Old 05-21-2020, 07:21 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
nez

Day one is ugly. I have probably a hundred of them in my history. It is a good thing they are ugly, otherwise I would probably have a thousand in my history and still be getting drunk. This can be your last day one and the ugly will become a thing of beauty down the road because it will remind you of the fight and the hard earned victory.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:25 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Free.

Check out the link BABM.

https://www.verywellmind.com/is-this...-it-last-80197

A real day by day, compiled with actual statements from sufferers like you and I.

Covers day one, day two, day three, etc....to day 14. Also some comments on week 3 and 4 and beyond. You can scroll straight to day one (the intro part is not very exciting)

This has helped me out so many times.

Stay on the right side of the grass, huh.
Look forward to your posts.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:26 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hang in there BABM. Day one-seven were awful for me, but take comfort in the knowledge that this is a short time. You can get through today, we all know that!
Old 05-21-2020, 09:46 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I’m drinking a little. Couldn’t cope with the anxiety. Ugh.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:02 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
I知 drinking a little. Couldn稚 cope with the anxiety. Ugh.
You're drinking because you allowed yourself to drink. Anxiety will still be waiting for you. You know,by now, the only way past drinking anxiety is to NOT drink. Dump your stash and deal with a couple days of 'uncomfortable'. You're just prolonging every single issue you have.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:19 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

what you;re doing is like using a heat lamp to get over sunburn, BABM.

D
Old 05-21-2020, 10:54 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking causes, and worsens, anxiety. Stop drinking now and just suffer for a few days until you're physically detoxed and can start to heal. I hope you will stop before it gets worse.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:39 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Wishing you the best getting back to day one....

The anxiety is awful, so two ways about it, but you'll have to go through it at some point if you want to stop altogether. You might as well do that now and let everyone help you. I feel for you....I am going through it myself, it's not pleasant but it's bearable. Take care and get lots of fluids in you.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:49 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Drinking alcohol really isn't going to help you achieve sobriety...

(That may sound simple to the point like I'm taking the mickey but I'm not. As solutions for anxiety caused by drinking go, I'm going to stick my neck out and say you've not picked the best solution here.)

If you went to your doctor and said 'I want to give up drinking but when I do I feel terrible anxiety' I reckon she'd probably help
Old 05-22-2020, 03:40 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Man, I hope you get out of this slump soon. You can disagree, of course, but I think it has become obvious that drinking or not drinking is only a portion (albeit a fundamental one) of what you're dealing with. Your references to being alone and having anxiety is what needs addressing asap, and once you stop drinking, I recommend that you take action on that front. Your issues seem to be coming from the inside, they're not imposed on you by the external world. My 2 cents.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:30 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
nez

At one point I had to go to a 30 day lockdown where the possibility of me being able to get alcohol was zilch. I needed to be protected from myself, because I couldn't get a first day.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:33 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Perhaps it is time to consider inpatient rehab, is this available to you?
Old 05-22-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
At one point I had to go to a 30 day lockdown where the possibility of me being able to get alcohol was zilch. I needed to be protected from myself, because I couldn't get a first day.
I'm currently in rehab with no weekend leave or day leave due to Coronavirus (they would usually be permitted in this place). Suits me fine.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:45 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
Perhaps it is time to consider inpatient rehab, is this available to you?
When I decided to go into rehab, I didn't have the money and couldn't afford it, so I went to my county's behavorial health department and the substance use disorder division; who was able to place me in a rehab. Best thing I ever did!
Old 05-22-2020, 08:48 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Wishing you well, BABM. I have no experience with what you are going through. But based on what others have said, perhaps a small amount of Librium from your doctor for a few days might help with the anxiety and other symptoms? Have you tried working with your doctor on withdrawal before? Sorry if I missed that in your previous posts.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi BABM. How are you this morning? Can today be your Day 1? I know I have suggested this to you, but I think you really need to examine the feelings of loneliness. You have time where it is just you. I think you should find the nearest soup kitchen or homeless shelter and go volunteer there. Or volunteer in some other capacity. But that volunteerism nearly always leads to instant meaningful connection to other people.

My other suggestion is to really do some thinking about loneliness and whether that is an inevitable feeling. I do not think it is. Getting comfortable with your own company should be one of your priorities. If I have a stretch of days in front of me during which I know it will be just me, through much conscious effort and thought, I now view such time as a gift. Solitude. Independence. Delving deep into a hobby. Learning something new. I'll read an entire 600 page book in 2 days. Go down the rabbit holes.

Also, it took me quite a while to realize that we are all alone in our own minds. From birth to death we are alone in our consciousness. What you might be resisting is sort of the universal state of humanity - conscious beings, separated from all other consciousness in others. It is a natural state and nothing to resist or fear. There is no small amount of philosophical writing on solitude and solitary existence as an essential part of being human. Hop down that rabbit hole. At the very least you will discovery that many of great thinkers have struggled with and thought about feelings of loneliness and have learned to think about it in other ways.

As mentioned above too, anxiety is something you need to address with anything other than booze. The few minutes of relief is fake and that fleeting fake peace is the main ingredient to cook further anxiety so that your AV wins and you dump in more booze to complete the recipe. It is one of the most devious AV plots there is.

You are so clearly more than what you are doing to yourself BABM. A smart person, a good Dad, and so much more. I hope today is your Day 1.