Old 07-12-2020, 04:51 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Gabe

D
Old 07-13-2020, 08:21 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
The hardest thing about living in America is the sausages. Really. There are almost none without garlic, and not a lot of beef ones readily available which is all I eat. We found some ages ago, but the supermarket they are in does not deliver to my address, so it's been months. Just saying. Sigh.

Love your new plan dear Gabe....the self-care is excellent. The walk, the later start. s

And Max, my dislike (read total and complete terror) re going to docs and emergency rooms mean that unless I HAVE to, I don't.
Now many many people have told me off about this for years, and will continue to do so I am sure.
It is really dumb of me, but I cannot express how great my fear is. It is based on a lot of really bad medical experiences.

So, I know it was some kind of break as I cracked it like you hit a cricket ball (that is for Gabe), so hard, by accident on my wooden table in the kitchen. I was doing what I am always (never again) doing when I injure myself which is moving too fast without being careful doing 10 things at once. I have this big wooden table with a wooden bench that doesn't move....easily....so I climb in and out to sit down where I am now, and as I said I am an idiot, so I went to get up way too fast to run to to answer the doorbell and whacked it full pelt on the edge of the table.

I thought maybe it was bruised, but having had a few bad bone issues, I know what a crack feels like. So just a little break. By a huge moron. Who is now taking better care of herself.

And I have watched more tv shows in the last week than like ever in my life. Whole shows. Seasons worth. And I am out of them now.
Other than GOT, which I refuse to watch.
Oooouch! That sounds like a sore one Suze. I hope it gets better soon and you can move around freely again. I know I am usually managing a million things when my anxiety is higher and I end up dropping things and banging into things.....

I love the beef sausage too, we have a butcher close buy who does really nice sausages. I am so picky about meat, I need to know where it came from, what's in it and all that stuff. It drives Steve crazy but I think it's so important....there is a lot of evil stuff hidden in our food and I think that really affects how I feel in general.

Just got into GOT.....it is addictive! Loving it so far....xxxx
Old 07-13-2020, 08:26 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ALBAdrunk View Post
And clock your steps or miles walked. I walked 102,000 steps last week. That sounds better than it really is but put a positive spin on everything and you're right to prioritise yourself, work shouldn't consume you're life. Work is a means to an end.

But I'm not let you away that 56 days is 2 months! The only month that has 28 days is Feb. You've 5 days till the full 2 month mark. But you'll do that fine, and you know that.
You bubble burster Alba!! You are of course right, I think I was calculating from pay day to pay - not the most accurate! I will do a wee dance in another few days to celebrate my official two months

You are right about work too. I am bad for letting it be the focus of everything and I am constantly trying to recover from the stress I put myself under. It's not necessary either, when doing a good job......it can be soul crushing actually and I am working on changing my perspective and seeing the day in more parts...with work just being a part of the day.

I like the idea of the step counting, it's really popular just now. I'll see how I go. I want to walk the 3 miles round the park every morning. If I do that then any extra is a bonus. It was a good start today. Thanks for checking in
Old 07-13-2020, 08:27 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats Gabe

D
cheers Dee!
Old 07-13-2020, 08:31 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

DAY 57......

It's been a good day. I got up, did my 3 miles then had a great burst of energy and got loads done.

I am trying not to psyche myself out about it though......I can feel myself wanting to put loads of pressure on things.....I have a tendency to do that, make it complicated and too difficult to keep up with. It's a walk once a day. That's all. I am committing to do it every morning. That is all.

Nice to feel that I am not so stuck. I am curious to see what I can do and looking forward to feeling fitter again. And thinner!

One step at a time...
Old 07-13-2020, 01:42 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Sounding good Gabe! Put loads of pressure on what Gabe?
Old 07-14-2020, 09:14 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
Sounding good Gabe! Put loads of pressure on what Gabe?
Just doing things 'right' I think Max. I can just end up putting pressure on myself to do more than I can manage because I think I should be, then I fail at it and then I end up drinking. It's happened over and over again. That rigid thinking about what recovery should be, not what I actually need it to be to cope, stay sober and be happy
Old 07-14-2020, 09:16 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

DAY 58...

Bit of a fleeting visit today, I'm afraid. Working late to design a workshop I am delivering tomorrow and not feeling in the least bit organised!

Went on my walk again this morning. Have clocked up nine miles in the last three days, so quite chuffed with that and feeling better. Also, feeling stiff and a bit sore, so I must have been really out of shape again.

Bye for now
Old 07-14-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

I tend to be the same but not as much lately. I follow a fitness guy and he says you just have to do it right 80% of the time. If you do that you will see results. But consistently do it right more than you do it wrong. Even 60-40 would work. Of course this doesn't really go towards drinking but other things yes.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:23 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go Gabe

D
Old 07-15-2020, 12:23 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Day 59....

Exhausted! Workshop went really well and I'm so chuffed but it was a lot of work and I was really anxious. Still managed my walk but not much else.

Tomorrow - sorting out the house and catching up here. I've really missed having more time and space in my brain to catch up with everyone, post and share. I think this has become one of my favourite parts of my day. I'll be around loads the next few days.

Hope you are all doing well and keeping safe 💓
Old 07-15-2020, 01:35 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing great Gabe - try and get some rest time tho!

D
Old 07-15-2020, 01:37 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Wait Gabe...…….. 2 months!!!
Old 07-15-2020, 01:39 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have managed loads - walking every day, prepping for a workshop, then doing the workshop, enduring some anxiety, letting that flow on through you, perhaps a bit of speaking or presenting nerves, feeling those feelings and letting them pass on through, all sober and clear-headed and all the while under the strains of a pandemic, and all of life's other daily demands and curveballs. It sounds as if you have accomplished a great deal to me.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You're doing great Gabe - try and get some rest time tho!

D
My goodness I need it today...I think I am going to take it really easy the next few days. Delayed tiredness and relief that things went so well but it's knocked me on my bum!
Old 07-16-2020, 06:51 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
Wait Gabe...…….. 2 months!!!
Is that 2 months! I have completely lost track now

Whoopeeeeeee!!!!!
Old 07-16-2020, 06:54 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Sounds like you have managed loads - walking every day, prepping for a workshop, then doing the workshop, enduring some anxiety, letting that flow on through you, perhaps a bit of speaking or presenting nerves, feeling those feelings and letting them pass on through, all sober and clear-headed and all the while under the strains of a pandemic, and all of life's other daily demands and curveballs. It sounds as if you have accomplished a great deal to me.
Thank you! I will quietly and cautiously agree with you it has been a lot and I have been aware of the strain. I got really nervous about it too. Ironically the workshop was on living with anxiety and at least I was able to use those nerves in a positive way......it helped remind me of all the things that we can/should do to look after ourselves. It's a bit of practice what you preach! Interesting, anxiety isn't the trigger for drinking it once was....turns out I have other tools! Thank you again for the kind words.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:59 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Day 60....

Oh my word I am tired. Made it out for my walk but feel asleep when I got home. MASSIVE sense of relief to have that first workshop out of the way....I have plenty more coming up but the first is always the hardest.

I was thinking about lockdown and how helpful it has actually been for my recovery (sorry, I don't mean that in a flippant way), mainly because I haven't had to deal with some of the social stuff and other challenges that make the early days hard. I think it is more the thought of those things and having to make decisions about them....I mostly likely wouldn't have done much socially but not having the choice actually really helped. I think going forward there will be several things that I keep in relation to how things are just now. That is a big relief. It's like shedding a skin, an itchy and heavy skin. I just don't want to do that stuff anymore and I am not going to. I don't really care what anyone else thinks now.

Amen to that.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

This lockdown/coronavirus thing is weird and really affecting people differently. For me, it probably has slightly helped my quitting or at the very least it is not helping or hindering. Money wise I am WAY better off because I spend less money. I look at it this way being a veteran, I have been to a few crappy places in my lifetime for months so this is NOTHING! Being a veteran really does help to make you a bit better at taking the extremes a bit better. At least for me.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:12 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

I understand that for sure Max. s

Totally get what you are saying as well dear Gabe....bars closed and such is pretty handy for early sobriety.