Notices

One Year Sober

Old 05-14-2020, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Year Sober

Given my propensity for rambling, I'll keep this relatively short. Yesterday I reached 366 days sober. What worked for me was committing to making a daily post here on SR, reading others' stories (and listening to stories of recovery online), and noticing the small things - good and bad. My ups and downs, as well as a cartload of mundane stuff is recorded in those daily posts. I mention this because a year ago, I came back to SR tired and looking for other people's stories. Now I have one (however brief as yet), too To the freshly sober, I have some recommendations. As I mentioned - notice the little things, good and bad. Find your way to accept the good and the bad the way they are; deal with the bad, don't try to escape it, and enjoy the good as it comes. You'll experience both. Instead of thinking about 3 months or 6 months or one year... or, fortunes forbid, 'Forever', which all seem incredibly daunting; just focus on today. You can't be sober tomorrow today, so just put a day's worth of forever into every 24 hours. And then do it again when the morning comes (even if it comes after a restless and sleepless night, people are 'mean', things are wrong, and the world is being a di*k about it all). That's how you learn to take responsibility for your own actions. Which brings me to the last pointer - thinking cannot get you sober, only doing can do that. So...do Last but not least, I'd like to extend my sincere gratitude to everyone who offered support during these first 366 days - your help was and continues to be invaluable

Old 05-14-2020, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 1 year! Great advice as well.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is brilliant kk1k5x!! Inspiring post. I'm coming up on six months. Best 6 months of my life. I wasted 3+ decades but I am grateful for the opportunity to live my final decades sober and calm and clear. I have read many of your posts and you are always helpful and supportive. Congrats on a year!!!
Old 05-14-2020, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your 1st year sober is an awesome accomplishment.

Continue strengthening your recovery foundation to
live upon healthy, happy and honest each day moving
forward.

Congratulations....!!!!
Old 05-14-2020, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

Congrats on the year, that is awesome! Thanks for the post, straightforward and inspiring, just like recovery. :~)
Old 05-14-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've followed your journey, well done and congratulations.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on a year of recovery.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

kk - I'm so happy for you. You definitely "got it."

Congrats on your first year of many.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kk1k5x View Post
Given my propensity for rambling, I'll keep this relatively short. Yesterday I reached 366 days sober. What worked for me was committing to making a daily post here on SR, reading others' stories (and listening to stories of recovery online), and noticing the small things - good and bad. My ups and downs, as well as a cartload of mundane stuff is recorded in those daily posts. I mention this because a year ago, I came back to SR tired and looking for other people's stories. Now I have one (however brief as yet), too To the freshly sober, I have some recommendations. As I mentioned - notice the little things, good and bad. Find your way to accept the good and the bad the way they are; deal with the bad, don't try to escape it, and enjoy the good as it comes. You'll experience both. Instead of thinking about 3 months or 6 months or one year... or, fortunes forbid, 'Forever', which all seem incredibly daunting; just focus on today. You can't be sober tomorrow today, so just put a day's worth of forever into every 24 hours. And then do it again when the morning comes (even if it comes after a restless and sleepless night, people are 'mean', things are wrong, and the world is being a di*k about it all). That's how you learn to take responsibility for your own actions. Which brings me to the last pointer - thinking cannot get you sober, only doing can do that. So...do Last but not least, I'd like to extend my sincere gratitude to everyone who offered support during these first 366 days - your help was and continues to be invaluable
Congratulations on finding values and purpose that supersede your desire for abusing substances! As we expand our values and purpose in life with healthy values and purpose, there is little or no desire to abuse substances: the reward is gone! After 4 decades of abusing drugs and alcohol, I've learned that addiction is not a chronic disease over which I have no control. It's simply a learned behavior to regain control over my emotions, feeling helpless to specific and important circumstances in life. The quick fix and mood changer of chemicals made me feel more temporarily in control of how I felt. Yes, addictions always serve an emotional purpose. I've since learned more mature, empowering, healthy ways to regain control of my overwhelming emotions. When we have meaning in life that trumps our addiction, there is no addiction. We get, "Meaning in life," from values and purpose. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-14-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yay ~ huge congratulations kk
Old 05-14-2020, 09:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations KK. Great stuff
Old 05-14-2020, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 year sober and a great post too.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats, dude. Well earned.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on the year.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful news, kk! Getting through that first year, with all the triggers, is so encouraging. We know we can survive the temptations.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on one year!
Old 05-14-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations again
Old 05-15-2020, 12:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the good wishes I hope everyone who is just starting out finds the fortitude to keep going and push forward in early sobriety. It's so worth it. Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2020, 02:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Many congrats on 1 year sober!!! Thank you for your post too, it has helped me and sure it's helped many others too.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
AA Member