Notices

I'm a mess

Old 05-13-2020, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm a mess

I'm trying to quit drinking, but the withdrawals are so scary when I try. I used to just drink every night and went through withdrawal a few times and it sucked, but now I drink when I wake up and drink malt liquor all day, even at my 9-5 job. I'm worried I might go through severe withdrawals. I've gotten myself in over my head. Is there anything I can do to ease the withdrawals without having to go to the hospital? I've been trying to ween myself slowly, I don't want to go to a hospital right now. I just get shortness of breath and racing thoughts and I used to have panic attacks, and learned to control them. But alcohol withdrawal, I can't mentally control it
Old 05-13-2020, 09:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Will - Welcome

I hope you don't mind that I created a thread for you.You might have gotten neglected on that book list thread.

Not sure whereabouts in the world you are, but I think if you're having a hard time withdrawing, you really owe it to yourself to go to the hospital or see your own doctor.

Its the safest way.

D

Old 05-13-2020, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat. The two times I went to hospital they do have the medication to take you off addiction if they prescribe it.Tapering or weaning is objectively terrible, life threateningly awful, which does keep me drinking longer than I would.People without a drink or drug problem will never understand, or if they do they'll say you brought it on yourself entirely.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

<div>I'd suggest also that you see your doctor (or the emergency department of a hospital) and ask for help in getting thru the first few days of acute withdrawal.&nbsp;&nbsp; I went thru w/d too many times to count, and too often, it was the w/d anxiety that would get me to drink again, just to relieve the awful anxiety. </div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Sometimes meds can be given for a short period of time, usually one of the benzos for a few days to a week.&nbsp; It calms the anxiety and reduces the risk of seizure.&nbsp; Ask your doctor for help.&nbsp; The first week of w/d can be really rough, but it will get better once the alcohol is out of your system.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Eat easy food, soup, bananas, crackers, toast.&nbsp; Rest as much as you can, and some easy exercise if it's feasible, like a walk outside.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Once you get thru w/d, make a plan for sobriety to keep you sober.&nbsp; Going thru repeated withdrawals just gets harder and harder. <br></div>
Old 05-13-2020, 10:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You have to go to a hospital or find a way to cut back every day. I remember watching AA on YouTube while I sipped a beer during my recent detox. IT IS NOT ADVISABLE. It is miserable, the anxiety, the heart palpitations. This time I was taking my own blood pressure and my oxygen saturation readings because I would have such panic attacks that I was dying. The first couple days I needed anti-anxiety meds because HELL ON EARTH.

I’ve also gone to detox before. Usually it’s a 5 day stay and it’s not nearly as miserable as DIY, but you are confined. Still, there are other people in detox to pass the time with. Good people, with a common problem. They medicate you pretty heavily so it’s not as harsh as the DIY method. And it’s a lot safer. Doing it yourself runs real risks.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know they will give you the detox drug, but will the give you something like Xanax? The anxiety is the worst part for me. I just wish I could be in a coma for a few days until it's over. Really sucks, I'm ashamed.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It all depends, usually not benzos in my experience, but in detox you don’t have to worry much about anxiety, like I said, you’re well medicated. I could barely walk down the hallway I was so dopey.

mans most docs are getting really stingy with benzos these days, especially with addicts, but I’m not an expert on the topic so I’m not sure.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by will3890 View Post
I've gotten myself in over my head. Is there anything I can do to ease the withdrawals without having to go to the hospital? I've been trying to ween myself slowly, I don't want to go to a hospital right now. I just get shortness of breath and racing thoughts and I used to have panic attacks, and learned to control them. But alcohol withdrawal, I can't mentally control it

I think you answered your question.

I was on a path to suffering severe withdrawal symptoms when I stopped what became drinking throughout day and night.

I stopped because I ran out of options when I could no longer work and could no longer take care of myself. It seemed like it took forever at the time, but I managed to drag myself to a hospital detox late in the day.

They weren't going to admit me until a nurse walked through the waiting are and addressed me as though she'd looked at someone who was about to die.

My blood pressure was gigantic, I was badly sleep-deprived, and I was suffering from malnutrition. They treated me with Librium. I slept a lot, drank Ensure, and ate a couple of times a day. That's about all I could do. I don't remember much else.

At the time, the detox was the best week I'd had for at least three years leading up to it. It may have saved my life.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, sounds like you need some professional detoxing.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by will3890 View Post
I know they will give you the detox drug, but will the give you something like Xanax? The anxiety is the worst part for me. I just wish I could be in a coma for a few days until it's over. Really sucks, I'm ashamed.
That's what they do, give you meds to mitigate the racing nervous system.

If you don't want to go to the hospital, call your regular doctor and tell them what you told us. Depending on your personal situation, you may be able to get a few days' worth of meds to get you through this detox at home. It's better than what you're trying to do. Make the call.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Based on the way you described your situation, if you are able to detox in a hospital, I would do it. If you are afraid now, when you enter withdrawals, that fear will go up 10 fold. Wish you the best.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you take the advice our members have offered.

No one can tell you if the hospital will give you xanax. But, what they will do is monitor your body as you go through withdrawals and make sure that you are safe.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
nez

Really sucks, I'm ashamed.
There is nothing to be ashamed of, you are in a difficult place and are asking for help. That is smart and courageous.

It sounds like you drink like I used to, if so a visit to a doctor would be wise. Odds are they will prescribe librium which will help to prevent seizures and anxiety. I didn't do that, I went cold turkey and had a seizure from acute alcohol withdrawal which can be fatal unless prompt medical attention is received. I got an ambulance ride to the ER, IVs in the arms, drugs, etc. I didn't ask for help because I was too ashamed. My tombstone would have read "Died of Embarrassment".

Go to a doctor and be totally honest about your consumption amounts and frequency. They only want to see you get well. Asking for help is the first step in that process. I don't recommend my path, but I can wholeheartedly endorse the results of sobriety. You can do this. Things get better and this time in your life can become a powerful ally as you continue on the journey of recovery.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I contacted a rehab center, but it's $18,000 and I can't afford that. I guess I will just have to go to a hospital. I just don't want to do that with Corona going on. I know I caused it, but I just wish alcohol and withdrawals would just leave me alone and let me live my life. But, obviously I'm the only one that can change it. I'm a grown man and need to take accountability.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If the doctor believes that the medication will help then take his medical advice. If you can manage without it then I think it's best. I have only 3 days off of pills , alcohol was a big part of my life. I haven't drank in almost 8 years. I thought I was good, . Then I was prescribed pain pills for my arthritis. My world has never been the same , I feel you're pain of alcohol withdrawal. I just wanted you to beware of the dangers of pills, the withdrawal is no easy ride as well. I hope you fing some comfort in this pain. Take care
Old 05-14-2020, 05:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

stickyone, they don't refill meds after detox, if someone gets meds for alcohol detox it's just for a few days. Many people can do a medically assisted home detox, where they are prescribed just a few benzos. Not long-term, not really an addiction risk if done in three or four days. I hope you get off your pain meds, but this is an entirely different thing. Alcohol detox can be dangerous, and a few days of meds is strictly therapeutic and mitigates the risk of a seizure.

I hope will3890 will call his/her regular doctor. They are familiar with alcohol detox, it's a pretty straight-forward process and it's not always necessary to be hospitalized...though of course sometimes it would be. It's worth making that phone call. An at-home medical detox would be far preferable to me if I could do that. Much cheaper and more private, too.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey, will3890. Withdrawals can be frightening and dangerous; I have been through them too often. On the worst occasion I stopped drinking all at once and within 12 hours was in the grips of alcoholic hallucinosis and the most horrifying delusions-insects, demonic faces, flashing lights, voices...it was horrific. Don't try quitting without help. Have you looked into detox through your city or county agencies? That's how I did it; my county has a detox with a sliding scale. Don't give up from just calling one place. If you don't have resources, the Salvation Army has free rehab programs. I'm glad you are here and wanting to change things. You can do this. You will never regret getting sober.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Will

if fear of catching the virus is keeping you from the hospital, I'd think about that a little.
Where else in a pandemic would they be any more highly aware of how to make themselves as safe as possible?

Nowhere

I think you;'re safer in Doctors surgeries and ER departments than a lot of other places.

Just my 2 cents.

D
Old 05-17-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AA Member

How are you today Will?

Old 05-17-2020, 01:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yes how are you will3890?

Is there anyone who you can tell you are quitting who could check on you regularly? You might then be able to withdraw at home without medical intervention but you would obviously need a way of getting to hospital should the need arise. I say that on the basis that not drinking is better than drinking 90 something percent of the time and that most people withdraw without needing medical Intervention albeit is a rotten experience.