Notices

Fun at Xmas for US ALL.................

Old 12-01-2004, 09:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fun at Xmas for US ALL.................

Hi Fellow gorgeous people,

Does anyone have any ideas and/or suggestions on how we are going to get through "The Silly Season" sober..........What a clever saying 3SSS's Silly Season Sober or Sober Silly Season or Season Sober Silly.........Anyhow after that lame attempt at levity......Seriously, this will be my first Xmas without any alcohol, and you know what? I can't wait.

I know that Christmas is about a lot of other and more important things than a liquid being consumed in copious quantaties to the extent that we among other things forget everything the day after....phew......

What do people on this site normally do if for example they are with family and /or friends and start feeling a little vulnerable ? I think we are going to have a lot of very busy days hery at SR which is just fine by me...........we'll just get to know each other even better.

Much Luv, Hugs & Kisses
Basi
Old 12-01-2004, 10:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Hey Basi

When I went to an xmas eve party, I had phone numbers with me........ just in case. I also made preparations to bail just in case. I didn't need these things, however, and had a good time..

Do you have an alcathon you can go to on xmas or xmas eve? Or a regular xmas even, xmas day meeting?

I did an alcathon last year and I'm doing an alcathon this year. The meetings really strenghtened me for the days.

I also stayed close to SR those days.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Basi,

My first christmas sober too (22 years eughh!) and like you looking forward to it. Beeen thinking about the same issues and decided that as we normally take a bottle or two along we will make sure that we also take some non alc. pepsi etc.

Moots point of a "bail out" sounds good but I will be 300 miles from home so not that easy!

Importantly I am not concerned about letting family and friends know that I dont drink any more, infact it might be quite a relief! (They can draw their own conclusions, I dont really care).

These are just a couple of things that I have thought of and like you, any suggestions would be great.

Hugs

Pete
Old 12-02-2004, 01:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I choose to live

I think I did 2 or 3 christmas sober ...It's difficult but people aprieciete it...But in a way I'm a little bit nervous
bout people who are goin' to say in my place that I cant have alchohol..It happened before..And it's like sinking through your chair..this sunday we have a party too with 25 persons and my family and my bf..And I really hope noone does something like that..It makes me verbal agressive..and I can miss that ...I want peace...Love frome Stefanie
Old 12-02-2004, 02:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

The first Christmas I did the courageous chicken thing and just stayed clear of events where alcohol was going to be one of the major themes. For some reason, alcohol and the holiday season are just linked in my mind. I suppose it could be because the liquor industry has spent untold billions on advertising to make sure that where there is Christmas there is alcohol. (Anybody else notice the proliferation of alcohol in bright shiny packages with special glasses and special bottles this time of year?) Or it could be because in my family drinking is the grease that makes the wheels of social interaction spin and puts the lights and ornaments on the big elephant in the middle of the living room so it blends in with the holiday spirit. And of course at the end, Tuesday mornings and alcohol were linked in my mind so why would Christmas be any different?

The second Christmas I did go home to be with the family. The first dinner I was there, there was the alcohol. Wine in fact, which was my flavor of choice. And I thought about drinking. You know, "what harm could one glass do?", etc. Then I looked at the four of them and at the two bottles of wine, did the math, and thought "There just isn't enough for me and them because if I start, I won't stop." So I didn't and three days later I had made it through another Christmas without alcohol. And when I was back home and it was over, it hit me that if I had picked up, Christmas would still be over and the only thing drinking alcohol would have done for me was made it worse. Instead of feeling proud that I had survived, I would have been filled with remorse and shame at throwing away 14 months of sobriety or worse, still drunk and on my way out the door to the liquor store. After all, New Years Eve comes right after Christmas you know.

Every clean day is a successful day no matter what else happens.
One Love, One Heart, Jah Bless
Old 12-02-2004, 02:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ama

Good Morning Dear Dear Basi,

I am rushing out but will reply later.....this will be a good thread for us all I think......well thought!!!!......ara sure you cannot be as thick as I look afterall....stay well and safe my good friend.....Luvs Ama
Old 12-02-2004, 03:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Basi:
Generally speaking I attend alcathons, potlucks, etc... On the off chance I am spending the Holidays with family members and/or others who are drinking & I'm feeling vulnerable, I pick up a telephone and call some AA friends or get out of the venue. Christmas and other holidays have become a joyous time for me now that I have been accepted back into Community, Family, and have found some true & honest friends. This Saturday, my son and his FCCLA group at the local High School are putting on the Mama and Papa Claus Breakfast fundraiser for local charity. Another gift as it took years of sober living to get full custody of him. Just returned home at this late hour from picking him up from a FBLA field trip to Seattle. At our Saturday event, he will cook & serve with his group while I listen intently to the prayerful wishes of many little angels who've yet to experience crumpled wings.

I hope your first Christmas Season is silly, sensible, stimulating and seriously sober. That would be superbly stupendous.

((((((((Basi))))))))) and all who are beginning to experience the Joy of Living.

3Legs
Old 12-02-2004, 05:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks you guys, very much..........you see YOU are all the reason I love this site so much the support here is just so life giving to me.

Not to say the sense of humour's not bad either ...... ....I think?............WE will ALL have a great thilly theason..........lets see WHO can come up with the corniest or funniest one liner .........................YEAHHHHHHH.

We should try anything to keep our minds ON our family and friends and of course on each other on SR and OFF the dreaded poison which is :AR15firin alcohol

Besos
Basi
Old 12-02-2004, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks for the thread!!
Old 12-03-2004, 02:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Happy Christmas!

Ah yes, temptation everywhere...thanks God for chocolate at least. I would say volunteer to do all the cooking, but for me drinking wine whilst cooking was a favourite...so thats not a good idea for me. Sitting on your hands while making polite conversation...watching the bottle go round the table....well, that strikes me as just plain dangerous.
How about party games, word games and such like?...gives you something to focus on besides that damn bottle.
Someone suggested to me to take a buddy from AA with you whenever you get invited to a party.
Anyway, keep those chocolates close at hand...sweets never caused anyone to start an arguement, walk into a door, or fall down the stairs. :headache:
Old 12-03-2004, 03:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wearydeary Darling.............

I LOve Chocolate .................and I love to cook, I also .........drank wine and cooked at the same time............you know the drill abit for the pot and a bit for me and more for the pot and more for me...........an.......hic.......now where wath I ...................Oh that's right .........I wath thirring the thoup...hic........oh what the hell............pithhhhhhed again...........i'm such a tart ........hic.

and NOW ladies and gents I am a seriously sober an sensible siren!!!!!!

Just kiddin folks, this is serious stuff, but isn't it great to be able to laugh at oneself from time to time.

(((((((((((((Wearydeary)))))))))))))))))))) :loons