Notices

Bojack horesman

Old 05-10-2020, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bojack horesman

Anyone ever watch this show from start to finish? It's 6 seasons. I started watching it a few weeks back (recommended by my boyfriend) binged the whole thing as is apt during corona times...honestly during every time! I binge everything! Back to my point, this show is an animation version of play it forward. Every person who has struggled with drink will 'get' the protagonists struggles. I bought a simple piano keyboard recently and I'd like my first song to learn post 'wanting to/quitting' be i'm still standing by Elton john, ever hear the bridge? That's why this song speaks to me...

"Don't you know I'm still standing better than I ever didLooking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kidI'm still standing after all this timePicking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind
I'm STILL STANDING(Yeah yeah yeah)I'm still standing(Yeah yeah yeah)

There's a bunch of music in there so I'm not doing it justice. Its a good song for me right now. Odly enough I really like the cartoon Sing version. Stay sober everyone. I'm still struggling.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I enjoyed the early series. I think I'd moved on by the time some of the long gaps in series happened later on.
Its a cartoon, but some of its subject matter is around addiction so if anyone feels they might be triggered early in recovery it may not be the best show to watch right now?
D
Old 05-10-2020, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Possibly Dee. It just captured me because the story it told was of the dark realities of alcoholism. Even though the lifestyle was different, the ultimate consequence is one we could all either relate to or fear. I dunno, it was like Murphy's law and that put me in an introspective place.

Thank you Dee for always writing to me. I truly hope all is well with you:-).
Old 05-10-2020, 09:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Never seen that series, but that song (which is kind of out of my normal selection) has really spoken to me for years. Ties together a colossal heartbreak with my struggle with addiction. I remember having it on repeat while I got ready in the morning for what seems like weeks. Another amazing song by Bernie Taupin.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I do like it a lot. The last series where he's clean is dead interesting.
My favourite show by far is Rick and Morty though. Also possibly very triggering.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Orchid1 View Post
Possibly Dee. It just captured me because the story it told was of the dark realities of alcoholism. Even though the lifestyle was different, the ultimate consequence is one we could all either relate to or fear.

Totally agree with you. It really is an incredible show and I'm so sad that it's over. I wonder how I would have felt about those last couple of seasons if I were still drinking. I'm sure it would have brought a lot of fear back to me, but it was non triggering to watch as a sober person.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's probably fair to say I'm a fan.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I really liked it. It's very creative, and funny. In addition to addiction I found a lot of it was about dealing with grief and loss. It was very moving show.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Just started it today after I saw this thread. I am mid episode 2 right now. Funny so far
Old 05-11-2020, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love the line "There's an old saying. Beer before liquor, don't do heroin". I love the show but I no longer have Netflix so I haven't seen season 6 yet.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Season six he goes into rehab. I actually started with the first half of season six when I read about Bojack elsewhere on these boards. They definitely get the ugliness of drinking throughout the seasons although it doesn’t address recovery until season six. Â
I’ve often thought someone who has been through this helped write it. The blackouts, etc.Â
I also really enjoyed the show. I’m rewatching episodes during treadmill time. It can make you think.Â
Old 05-11-2020, 06:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I canceled Netflix because most of the shows I care about got taken off. Bob's Burgers and Malcolm in the Middle are the two biggest ones I got mad about. And I could care less about that stupid Tiger show. I'm so sick of hearing about it personally it sounds like the stupidest show in the history of television. I'd rather watch Yes Dear than Tiger King, that's saying something.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

BoJack Horseman is one of the best things that's ever been on TV, IMO. I honestly seriously considered cancelling Netflix when they canceled it. So far I've kept it because, well, pandemic. It does deal with some pretty heavy themes and does it well.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

testing this new quick reply
Old 05-12-2020, 12:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

this is quick reply !
Old 05-12-2020, 12:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

tesstss