Notices

Lockdown claims a second life

Old 05-08-2020, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lockdown claims a second life

I mentioned a couple weeks ago I lost a good friend who I met in college. He was afraid he would lose everything (which wasn't much) because he was laid off.
Yesterday, I high school friend who I spent a good amount of time with, ended his life. He was a bartender in Las Vegas. Vegas has been shut down for 2 months. So he bowed out. This is really sad.
The good news for the day, I take a drug test Sunday and start a job next week. It's all good in the end. Take care people. Life is not over, its just difficult.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend, Jeff. Life is difficult right now, but it will get better.
Good luck on the new job. I hope it works out well for you.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry Jeff.
Were these people left without any money at all during lockdowns, or was there govt. support?
Really good to see you back on track.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your friend Jeff. This pandemic is a true horror.
But I'm glad to see you back here.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is terrible Jeff. I'm sorry. The safety nets in the US leave much to be desired and for many, there just isn't one, at least in any meaningful way. With the bleak economic times that we have collectively facing us, we all need to double our efforts to stay connected and be a part of other peoples' lives. Tell the people you love that you love them and that even in these rough times, we need them to stay with us on our journeys.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I lived in Vegas for a while when I was younger, I think it's hell on earth, and they're about to run out of drinking water in about a year. They have terrible schools and no adequate local social safety nets because of the lack of state and local taxes. I hate that place, I am grateful to be where I am, and I am sorry it put your friend in such despair.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Jeff - Congrats on the Job!!!! Happy for You!!
One thing I've noticed - your posts seem lately to be centered on people who died from addiction. What's up with that???
Old 05-08-2020, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nathan57 View Post
Hey Jeff - Congrats on the Job!!!! Happy for You!!
One thing I've noticed - your posts seem lately to be centered on people who died from addiction. What's up with that???

My friend, they are not focused on those who have died, it is a reality. I wish nothing more than to exchange information with those who are still alive. You get that?
Lastly...the job sucks. But it will get me out of the house.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was just reading an article about how Las Vegas will never return to what it was. The entire economy was essentially based on the hospitality/service industry. The article mentioned that every poker dealer has be laid off permanently. The poker rooms will all be closed to make room for slot machines. Sorry to hear about your friend.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I was just reading an article about how Las Vegas will never return to what it was. The entire economy was essentially based on the hospitality/service industry. The article mentioned that every poker dealer has be laid off permanently. The poker rooms will all be closed to make room for slot machines. Sorry to hear about your friend.
Las Vegas is a completely synthetic unnatural creation. That is why they are running out of water, this is real life, environmental scientists and hydrologists and geologists have known about it for years. Since maybe 2018 it has become common knowledge to all that aren't completely ignoring it. Lake Mead is at dangerously low levels. I mean, it's an adult theme park and a community build in the middle of a barren desert. LA's water problems are bad enough, Nevada's are insurmountable.

My ex - the person with whom I had the longest relationship of my life - was born in LA but grew up in Vegas. We lived with his parents there for about a year. It constantly goes through cycles of boom and bust. It might be cheaper than Southern CA but there's a reason for that. The foundations that the city is built on has serious consequences for children, young people, families, pretty much anyone with addiction issues (including gambling or sex, not just substance abuse), and was historically run by the literal mafia and the LDS church.

No, Vegas will never recover. It's been on the brink for a long time. I even knew it was when I left. I've known about the running out of water issue since 2016. I feel terrible for anyone who still believes in that sh!thole of a town. It's a mirage in the desert.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I think it might be more productive to think of these suicides as rooted in more than a simple lockdown. A vast majority of suicides are due to depression, in one form or another. Its also likely that the depression these individuals were suffering from did not begin with the lockdown, but was aggravated by the difficult circumstances in which many of us find ourselves.

I think there could be a lesson in these unfortunate deaths. First of all get treatment for this profoundly difficulty mood disorder called depression. There's LOTS of great treatments out there. Many psychotherapists are now seeing patients via insurance company telehealth services and by video conferencing platforms such as Zoom.

The other lesson in this is for all of us to remain available to help everyone we encounter during these difficult times. People will often keep a depressed mood a secret as a way of attempting to protect themselves. But often a very supportive and helpful individual can encourage expression of these feelings of hopelessness, and in the process provide an opportunity to encourage the depressed individual to seek help.

I'm sorry for your loss Thomas.

Perhaps by posting about it here some sort of good can come from these unfortunate deaths.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am sorry to hear about your friend Jeff. Things are definitely challenging right now, but I’m hopeful things will start to slowly get back to normal.
That is great news on the job front though, looking forward to hearing more about it.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeckoningCat View Post
Las Vegas is a completely synthetic unnatural creation. That is why they are running out of water, this is real life, environmental scientists and hydrologists and geologists have known about it for years. Since maybe 2018 it has become common knowledge to all that aren't completely ignoring it. Lake Mead is at dangerously low levels. I mean, it's an adult theme park and a community build in the middle of a barren desert. LA's water problems are bad enough, Nevada's are insurmountable.

My ex - the person with whom I had the longest relationship of my life - was born in LA but grew up in Vegas. We lived with his parents there for about a year. It constantly goes through cycles of boom and bust. It might be cheaper than Southern CA but there's a reason for that. The foundations that the city is built on has serious consequences for children, young people, families, pretty much anyone with addiction issues (including gambling or sex, not just substance abuse), and was historically run by the literal mafia and the LDS church.

No, Vegas will never recover. It's been on the brink for a long time. I even knew it was when I left. I've known about the running out of water issue since 2016. I feel terrible for anyone who still believes in that sh!thole of a town. It's a mirage in the desert.

Are you in Southern California BC?
Old 05-08-2020, 11:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeckoningCat View Post

I've been a couple times to Vegas. Never longer than 3 nights. I think the Bellagio fountains alone are draining Lake Meade. Still, it's amazing Bugsy Siegel had a vision in the 1940's and Vegas sprang up from basically sand and rocks....
Old 05-09-2020, 02:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

While I can't know what was in either one of their heads, I am going to surmise that they were in fear. In fear of "losing everything". Totally unnecessary. I'm afraid of heights and poisonous snakes, neither of which can foreclose on my home or repossess my car. I'm not afraid of standing toe to toe with authority and I win more than I lose. Its just tragic that people choose a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Life will return to normal, eventually.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your friend, Jeff. There's been more suicides around here too unfortunately lately.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am sorry about your friend. Last year my ex-husband (we had been separated for a while and just about to file for divorce) committed suicide - he wasn't an addict, but did it with an opioid OD. He was a psychiatrist, did not have very severe depression history that he was open about/diagnosed, but married two addict women in his life - first ex never recovered and died of an (assumed) accidental OD, and two decades later he married me in recovery. He was a deep thinker who periodically struggled with existential angst, a bit like myself, we talked about suicidal ideations a million times as I did with quite a few other people close to me, but I definitely did not expect him to do it when he did and to choose the approach he did (although that makes some sense if you think about his history). I still don't know and will never know what exactly happened, it was totally bizarre.

Glad to hear about the job though, I hope it works out and gives you some sense of purpose. Yes, the lockdown will lift and a lot of life will slowly return to normal, but I do believe the experience of the pandemic will have changed some things inside of many of us for the long haul. Not for everyone and not necessarily manifesting in practical choices and acts, but mentally for sure, and I don't necessarily mean in a bad way.

Good luck, Jeff!
Old 05-09-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
I am sorry about your friend. Last year my ex-husband (we had been separated for a while and just about to file for divorce) committed suicide - he wasn't an addict, but did it with an opioid OD. He was a psychiatrist, did not have very severe depression history that he was open about/diagnosed, but married two addict women in his life - first ex never recovered and died of an (assumed) accidental OD, and two decades later he married me in recovery. He was a deep thinker who periodically struggled with existential angst, a bit like myself, we talked about suicidal ideations a million times as I did with quite a few other people close to me, but I definitely did not expect him to do it when he did and to choose the approach he did (although that makes some sense if you think about his history). I still don't know and will never know what exactly happened, it was totally bizarre.

Glad to hear about the job though, I hope it works out and gives you some sense of purpose. Yes, the lockdown will lift and a lot of life will slowly return to normal, but I do believe the experience of the pandemic will have changed some things inside of many of us for the long haul. Not for everyone and not necessarily manifesting in practical choices and acts, but mentally for sure, and I don't necessarily mean in a bad way.

Good luck, Jeff!

Wow, that's a sad story. I do feel that deep thinkers are more prone to doing drastic things. I hope you are doing well.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
waking down

I'm sorry for all of your losses, everyone. I've lost a number of people close to me, and I've learned there is no point in trying to figure out why they did it. People take secrets to the grave. I simultaneously empathize while it also ticks me off.
Global society is mostly lost and confused. Many don't know what to believe or how to cope, and most children are not taught. For the most part its the blind leading the naked. I am grateful to my meditation practice. I've experienced suicidal ideation on and off since childhood, and I remember even fantasizing about doing it in a way that would get me in the Guiness Book of World Records (without harming anyone else) when I was only maybe ten years old.
Meditation teaches that I am not my thoughts. Or my emotions. They come and go. I can ride them out. The less I push them away or cling to them the more I experience peace. Right now I'm breathing, and that's really all I need. Yes, I get angry. Suicide makes me angry. But I don't cling to that. I feel it and I let it be. Same with thoughts of suicide. The thought comes, and I let it be.
Most so-called "problems" in life actually do not require a response. More often than not there is no need to do anything. Those who study the 12 Steps know the Serenity Prayer. Highly recommended whether you agree with the 12 Step approach or not, whether you believe in a higher power or not. If you're not familiar with the Serenity Prayer, look it up. It is rooted in ancient wisdom.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Our safety net still allows for many people to slip through the cracks; particularly the unemployed. I really don't know how people on unemployment benefits survive. Hard to get a job without proper clothing/dental work, etc.. A lot of of things we have been promised are beginning to appear as a smoke and mirrors trick. See how it plays out.
This is off topic as far as suicide goes, but with the easing of restrictions I'm beginning to feel like the canary being sent into the coal mine.