Notices

Stopped drinking and feel worse than ever.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Mixed day today. I had a great time with the family. But I felt nauseous for a good bit of the day. My right side also hurt way more than normal.

I do wish I could just get the scan right now. The waiting and wondering and anxiety is killing me. I don't think about much else. ALL. Day. Long. I have an appointment next week and then I'll be able to schedule a scan, I assume, but it'll be weeks before I have any potential relief.

​​​​​
Old 05-24-2020, 12:09 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you;ll get some relief soon mamatembo

D
Old 05-31-2020, 01:06 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Day 58...

Still feel pretty terrible. I have terrible brain fog, a head ache, nausea, and an unsteady feeling. The "liver pain" is almost gone though. Oh and terrible anxiety.

I have an ultrasound of my liver on Tuesday. I'm so anxious. I can't do anything but research cirrhosis. Non. Stop.

I had a brain MRI last week. The results suggested migraines or inflammation. I'm convinced this is hepatic encephalopathy.
Maybe unlikely since all my blood work was ok, but I've read it is possible to have symptomatic cirrhosis with normal labs

I feel like I'm going to explode while waiting.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:33 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Free.

Good job posting these thoughts. It is probably wise to share your feelings and concerns about this.

Keeping it bottled in would be terrible.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:30 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope the results will be worth the wait MT

D
Old 06-01-2020, 04:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Coz

Originally Posted by Mamatembo View Post
Day 58...

Still feel pretty terrible. I have terrible brain fog, a head ache, nausea, and an unsteady feeling. The "liver pain" is almost gone though. Oh and terrible anxiety.

I have an ultrasound of my liver on Tuesday. I'm so anxious. I can't do anything but research cirrhosis. Non. Stop.

I had a brain MRI last week. The results suggested migraines or inflammation. I'm convinced this is hepatic encephalopathy.
Maybe unlikely since all my blood work was ok, but I've read it is possible to have symptomatic cirrhosis with normal labs

I feel like I'm going to explode while waiting.
Congrats on 58 days! That's nearly two months. Really well done.

I can relate to the anxiety around medical concerns - early this year I had serious anxiety about my health. Diagnosed with potential breast and bowel cancer, a fatty liver, a 12cm ovarian cyst, blood work showing polycythaemia and I was a drunk. Like you, I started doing my own research and stressed myself no end (which didn't help my drinking habit). So I became a human guinea pig with scans, ultrasounds, MRIs, pathology galore, biopsies, mammograms, scheduled surgery (long story that bit).

Guess what - I don't have breast or bowel cancer, my cyst is benign, my fatty liver is on the improve since quitting drinking and the doc is now just monitoring my pathology.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is don't stress yourself - it isn't going to help and any self-diagnosis (particularly when pathology indicates that your self-diagnosis is not correct) is really not a good idea and will only increase your anxiety. Leave it to the experts to work out the problem and set you on track to manage it. In the mean time, maybe focus on living healthy by not drinking and eating good food - and thrown in a bit of outdoors and exercise. That is the best you can do for your health.

I hope you get some results soon - I just know how awful it is to not know what is going on. Take care of yourself and leave the rest to the doctors.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thank you carpenter and dee for the replies.

Thanks for sharing, coz. It really was very helpful. I have an ultrasound tomorrow. I'm making a commitment to myself to stop researching until I get the results. I know I should stop altogether, but this is a good step for me!

I'll update when I get the results too.
​​​​​​good night!
Old 06-02-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I had my ultrasound. The tech said everything looks good. I'm waiting on official results but likely not my liver.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:41 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That's great news! I hope the official results confirm the initial impression, I'm sure they will.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:23 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

No official results yet. I've, already, made an appointment with a gastroenterologist because I want some additional testing to confirm the liver is ok.

I've also made an appointment with a therapist. While I don't think my symptoms are psychosomatic, I do realize I am incredibly anxious and obsessive with my health right now.

My symptoms are getting slightly better but still around and it's been months.

Thanks to everyone who has read my saga. I'm starting to feel like I've gone mad.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:37 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You aren't going mad, you're just feeling crappy while recovering. I hope you see some improvement soon.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thanks least! It is 11am here and, so far, it feels like it'll be a good day.

Today makes 9 weeks sober. I'm feeling hopeful.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Congrats on nine weeks, Mamatembo. It will keep getting better! Stay with us.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Free.

Congrats on nine weeks!!
That is awesome!

It is so good when our hope for life increases.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:54 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Free.

Congrats on nine weeks!!
That is awesome!

It is so good when our hope for life increases.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:59 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I have been going through PAWS on and off for about 2 years now. I would quit and then I would fall off the wagon. Or I would return to work and drinking just never happens. Then when I return home for some extended days off I'll binge. Then, here comes PAWS. I've got the whole PAWS process for myself memorized. lol

I will be gittery the first day. Wont sleep well at all for about 3 days. Achy muscles and night sweats. Pain in the liver area that feels like a bloated pressure, that lasts for about 3 weeks for me. Sometimes I get bad heartburn and it leaves me chowing down on tums like they are candy.

No dizziness for me. But the last year or so it does feel different when I drink. Yeah, I will feel the effects of the alcohol, but then I feel something else that wasn't always there. It's almost like a high or a light headedness.

No jaundice or brown pee, fortunately.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:01 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

9 weeks of sobriety is great, Mamatembo.

I'm glad you're continuing to seek answers for not feeling well. I hope you can get some answers soon and/or you start to feel better.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:41 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I got the official results.

The liver is normal in acoustic texture and echogenicity. There is no hepatic mass. I guess that means it is HIGHLY unlikely I have cirrhosis.

I should be happy. But I can't believe it.
Why am I so sick? Is it my brain and not my body?
​​

Old 06-08-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 weeks and great news on the results
Old 06-08-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
under new management

Mamatembo, congratulations on 9 weeks!

I had the worst health anxiety imaginable when I was in early recovery, really, the worst!

And, I didn't believe my doctor's test results, which all showed, repeatedly, there was nothing physically wrong with me.

My anxiety ridden thinking eventually improved the further into recovery I continued.

I hope you are able to discuss this with your doctor.