Notices

Old pictures

Old 05-01-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Old pictures

A friend of mine texted me old pictures from when we were 16 to 20 yrs old. 56 now. We had a big crew and most were party pictures drinking etc. It was a lot of fun, paved the  road to my Alcoholism but it’s part of my story. No regrets from then I didn’t know any better.  The terror , bewilderment, frustration and despair came later. We are all still friends and we were all pretty successful. I’m glad for those times then and I’m grateful for where I am today.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ah yes all part of our journeys but not anymore!
Old 05-01-2020, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankfully there are no photos of me drinking. That's because 99.99% of the time I'm by myself sitting in the dark.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I kill every thread I post on. I need to stop.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thrillhou View Post
Thankfully there are no photos of me drinking. That's because 99.99% of the time I'm by myself sitting in the dark.

Same with me, and many of us, especially in the last days of my drinking. The hilarious party shots could be replaced by me chugging a fifth of cheap vodka at 9am on a weekday after dropping my son off at school - sigh.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thrillhou View Post
I kill every thread I post on. I need to stop.

You did NOT kill that thread. I loved your post. Gallows humor is one of the tools in my recovery toolbox.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kdon853 View Post
A friend of mine texted me old pictures from when we were 16 to 20 yrs old. 56 now. We had a big crew and most were party pictures drinking etc. It was a lot of fun, paved the road to my Alcoholism but it’s part of my story.
Yes, this is very familiar. Most of the pictures from that era show us with glasses and bottles in our hands.

What always interests me is why most of the people I still know from my own photos don't have an issue with drink these days (despite often being the hardest party animals back then) yet for some of us it became such a problem. I suppose there must have been a time when it stopped being fun, but I wasn't sharp enough to spot it.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

“We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it” (Alcoholics Anonymous)