Notices

Home, Sweet Home - Weekenders 01 - 04 May 2020

Old 04-30-2020, 10:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'M IN!

Thanks for the OP Mags, I hope you are bearing up under your restrictive conditions. Fingers cross things will begin to look up sooner rather than later.

Congratulations on Shotgun CaptainHaddock!

Pre lockdown my part of London was party town so and if I was to leave a window open there would be plenty of noise at 4.30am and none of it as cheerful as birdsong.

Good to see you freedomfries, there's no denying that getting sober is hard but once you're past that opening couple of months then maintaining sobriety is much easier. It will be the last you see if Psych wards and police cells.

Your friend sounds a good guy Vinny.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Here is a pic from my (failed) attempt to climb Britain's highest mountain in early February.

Attached Images
Old 04-30-2020, 10:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags

Beautiful scenery though I must admit that I don't have a head for heights!
Old 04-30-2020, 10:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Freedomfries, stick with us!ÂÂ Do you need an AA meeting to attend on-line?ÂÂ I'll be going to one at 5:30 PM PDT, but there's some others at noon (about an hour).
Sao, that's a nice view from as high as you got on your mountain climb.ÂÂ I haven't done any mountain climbing lately, but in my youth I four times completed a 36-mile race from sea-level to 10,023 feet.
We have a "Home Sweet Home" needlepoint framed in our kitchen. One of my wife's aunts made it, and she had it nicely framed. Well, I guess I can't share pictures...
Old 04-30-2020, 11:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hey, weekenders!
Thank you for the new thread, Mags!
Congrats on the shotgun, Captain!
Welcome to weekenders, Freedomfries!
MLD - Sorry about the furlough. Do you know how long it will be?

I am getting myself together bit by bit. Did 10 pushups today)
So, I am a rookie hiker.
What do I need to pack?
Old 04-30-2020, 11:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
under new management

Thanks, Mags! I rarely (never?) post on the weekenders thread but I do like to follow along on the adventures!
Hi everybody!
Old 04-30-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am staying home this weekend, sick in bed today. Had a flu vaccination yesterday and it has hit me hard. Fevers and chills and aches all night and staying in bed till I feel better. Last time it was 3 days. I did question getting the flu shot this year but apparently getting flu and corona together is bad, so everyone is being urged to have the flu jab. We are heading into winter and flu season, so I thought I had better do as the doctors said. But I am not well today so will stay in my bunk for a while...
Old 04-30-2020, 09:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Magsie

morning WeekendersÂÂ
Pinch, Punch, First of the Month White Rabbits Â

Willow, hope you’re soon feeling better.

Marty, I’m glad you got your mind rejigged regarding the furlough. Do you have the robins nesting this year in your garden?

Thanks Saou, I’m managing, I want to escape every morning but once I’ve had a cuppa I’m back to my normal crazy self. Â
Nice pic, I remember you going up to Scotland, wasn’t it, with work a while back?Â

Leigh, I agree that it is wonderful we have our own homes to stay in while the pandemic is about. Seeing people around the world with nowhere to live because they lost their jobs is heartbreaking and tragic. Though it doesn’t always seem it, we have a lot to be grateful for. ÂÂ Â

Bim, I absolutely love the view from the window. Yep. I could live there in all weathers. :jÂÂ

Good to see you freedomfries
Old 04-30-2020, 10:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you 2ndhandrose
Old 04-30-2020, 11:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Love your opening post as always Mags, thanks for continuing to keep this l9vely thread going.
I read every day but don't always post.
Sauo love that pic , it reminds us of how tiny we all are.
Marty .....the birds lol. 4.30 is sooo rude hahaha . They9bviously don't set their clocks to a respectable hour
Hope everyone is well

Xx
Old 05-01-2020, 01:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, weekenders.
I grossly overslept today. Need to get my sleeping-waking up routine back on track.
Coffee)
Old 05-01-2020, 02:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

morning weekenders - Happy Friday!

I grossly underslept today & woke up at 05:30 - I think it's going to be a long day.

I'm getting a bit cabin-feverish - I'm quite happy with my own company most of the time, but not having had any IRL company (I live on my own) for however long it's been is starting is starting to wear a bit thin

this website having been broken for over a week it wearing a bit thin too
Old 05-01-2020, 02:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning Weekenders

Hope you are all as well as possible
I did a second AA zoom meeting last night.
I wont get another chance this time so this is all or nothing. It's my wife and daughter or the bottle (and probably death or prison) . I cannot allow myself to forget what happened.

Sorry for being so blunt.
Now it's off for a long walk (covid authorised) with my little family. (it's a national holiday here today)
Bisous

Vinny
Old 05-01-2020, 07:10 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Vman, please make it stick this time.

Same to you Willow.

I guess when I quit I was just done. I really didn't have that hard a time staying quit once I made the Decision. I just had to ride it out with the intense anxiety, fear, feeling of freefall, etc. Drinking was just over.

You are all up and posting when I'm asleep.

Oh well.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:32 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi dear bim. s

Guess I was a mixed bag....all in recovery-wise but I still relapsed for a few months in 2014. I must not have been as all-in as I thought. I left the door open a crack.

It still feels like a miracle that I got sober again.

I think that we sometimes forget that we don't all get continual opportunities to stop. Some people pick up and can never stop again. Sorry, just wanting you to do this for you dear Vinny. You are worth it. s xx
Old 05-01-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think going to AA meetings really shocked me in that way, Venus.

I figured people went to AA and then they were cured. This site is a reality check that way, too. I know of several people who died after getting sober and going back out. And I know many who have died of alcohol related illnesses and accidents. I'm sure not one of them had that as a life plan when they bought that bottle. I am so grateful to have gotten out with my health (mostly) and a clean criminal record. It easily could have (and should have) gone the other way for me.

Never. Again. Never. Seriously. Not one drink.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:41 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Amen

I knew a lady in AA who was sober for 20 years and picked up, and we lost her. In a few months. I was so shocked....it taught me the importance of staying in recovery, always. I need to do that and I also want to. Every single day we give each other so much love and strength and community.

Ok....getting mooshy now.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:47 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Afternoon everyone.
A nice sunny day. Our lockdown degraded from level 5 to 4 at midnight. Embracing this newfound freedom, I took our dog for a walk at dawn, being her (and my) first in five weeks. It felt really good.
Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
I wont get another chance this time so this is all or nothing. It's my wife and daughter or the bottle (and probably death or prison) . I cannot allow myself to forget what happened.

Sorry for being so blunt.

Vinny, what a profound statement. You have been putting in a lot my friend. And that is not only counting the last 7 odd months. If you just keep at it and adjust as required along the way, the day will come (if not already) when it will stick.
Hope you will check in soon Kaily.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Friday! Well, sort of.
Just had an online meeting with a bunch of the people who have the same position on campus I do, and the director of Human Resources. It was grim. One poor woman was crying. It's all just so much to deal with already and now we have to take a furlough, too. However, I did find out that some of the options we have will allow us to get unemployment benefits, and the extra stipend of $600 a week that is in place right now. I didn't know we could do that for a furlough of as little as a week or two. It's all rather confusing, though, and I still don't know what option I'm going to take.

Yes, Mags, my robins are back this year, one pair nesting under my deck and another in a spot I haven't found yet. They get rather annoyed when I step out onto the deck for a breath of fresh air. They are always rather protective, and chirp at me loudly in admonishment. And they woke me up again today, the rude little birdies.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:01 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I think Vinny at the very end of our drinking we are all faced with that ultimate choice. Some may get there quicker than others. Hope you enjoyed your walk. The weather is gone bad here back in the Motherland now again, typical.