Notices

New to forum but getting old in addiction.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile New to forum but getting old in addiction.

Hello everyone, This is my first time using a forum for recovery. Today is day 2 since my relapse. Its been about 15 years I've been dealing with my addiction to opiates. with my longest sobriety was a month. I'll get clean for 2 weeks then find myself counting days again its been like this for the last couple of years. I just wanted to say hello and hope that other people's stories may help me or maybe I can help someone with the same struggles really learn to love themselves and life.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and understanding here. SR is a wonderful global family. I hope we can help you get clean for good. Glad you found us!
Old 04-29-2020, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I heard opiate addiction is more difficult due to the half life.

So the intense mental suffering lasts longer. However, I am heavily kindled so my suffering was, as far as i can tell, fairly extensive and long. Not for sure there.

When I really hurt in the earliest days, I would load up on snacks and stayed full all of the time.

Because I ate so much I had more energy. I used the energy to exercise more.

I didn't gain a pound.

I still suffer off and on, but I am used to it.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
I heard opiate addiction is more difficult due to the half life.

So the intense mental suffering lasts longer. However, I am heavily kindled so my suffering was, as far as i can tell, fairly extensive and long. Not for sure there.

When I really hurt in the earliest days, I would load up on snacks and stayed full all of the time.

Because I ate so much I had more energy. I used the energy to exercise more.

I didn't gain a pound.

I still suffer off and on, but I am used to it.

Thanks.
Thanks yes it's like this every other week. I tend to go 2 weeks clean including my withdrawal days. Then I end up relapsing say taking large amounts over the weekend. Then calling in sick for a few days and then back to where I started. I always thought to myself it's okay I'm getting payed for being off so it's good. But my days have been getting less and less especially with the covid19 , I'm a essential worker like many others that are struggling with this hard times. I can't get back yesterday or the pass but looking to move forward in the right direction to have a more meaningful life.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and understanding here. SR is a wonderful global family. I hope we can help you get clean for good. Glad you found us!
Thanks for the response
Old 04-29-2020, 06:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted.
It sounds like it might help if you could come up with a plan to have in place for the point after about 2 weeks when you start counting days again. I wonder if you've made any lifestyle changes to help support your recovery? Have you made any changes in friends/social activities, exercise, that sort of thing?
Old 04-29-2020, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad you posted.
It sounds like it might help if you could come up with a plan to have in place for the point after about 2 weeks when you start counting days again. I wonder if you've made any lifestyle changes to help support your recovery? Have you made any changes in friends/social activities, exercise, that sort of thing?
I've always been very active person I work out 4-5 days a week. Some things I've added to my recovery over the last 2 years was meditation, I don't hang out with any other addict's. It's been about 8 years since I had a drink. I really don't really go out. With the gym being closed and due the covid19 restrictions I've been isolating from everyone but my family. My family doee not no how to deal with addiction since they don't have one. But yes the last time I got a month clean. I did have a schedule for the 2 week mark. I will have to adapt with the new way of life due to the covid19. This is very new to my recovery I haven't been on a forum. I've always just read the story but never was active. So hope this open my mind to change.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.