Notices

Day 8

Old 04-29-2020, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8

Back at work this week and experienced some stress from a colleague. This set my mind straight to planning to buy alcohol and cigarettes.

I really had to play the tape forward to think of the damage drinking would do to me and how I would feel tomorrow. I succeeded an bought food and Diet Coke instead.

This was the first really feeling of stress and I am so thankful to overcome it.

This link between work stress and alcohollism for me is very strong. If I can’t stay sober in my job I may have to give it up!
Old 04-29-2020, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stable, I'm glad you got through that, and congratulations on Day 8. Eating and making sure you're not hungry can be very helpful in early recovery.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 8 days sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Reach out before going straight for the bottle! This has been the first time I have done it and I’m going to bed sober tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well. Allcohollism is very difficult to overcome.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 8 is a great start Stable Have you thought of maybe looking into and trying other healthy ways to deal with stress?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...44-stress.html (Stress)

D
Old 04-29-2020, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes I have and I will read your link.

Thanks Dee
Old 04-29-2020, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Eating is a VERY GOOD first line of defense..anytime I wanted to drink and I was hungry....I knew if I ate the craving would go away...but sometimes I wouldn't want the craving to go away so I would not eat..So good for you that you ate!
Old 04-29-2020, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Keep Goin

Hey Stable, it's great that you're into Week 2 of the rest of your life! That first week is haaard.

I think it's good that you've gotten to the place where you can keep your wits about you and do the right thing, not the easy thing to escape. I don't know about you, but I turned a corner when I fully accepted that my sobriety is more important than my job and the esteem I hold so dear.

It wasn't The thing for me, but it was a tremendous step in the right direction.

O

p.s. I'm still at that job. While I still may decide it's best for me to leave at some point, I realize now the issue for me isn't the job - it's me repeating decades-long maladaptive chipping techniques. The more I can accept things not going my way (even though I'm certain my way is almost always the right way), the less stressed I become. 😊
Old 04-29-2020, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nez

Good job at playing the tape forward Stable! Also congrats at recognizing the importance of reaching out. Reach for the keyboard instead of the bottle.

This link between work stress and alcohollism for me is very strong.
You are also very strong, more so than you give yourself credit. Today shows that. Keep doing the next right thing and you will see the evidence of your strength!

Old 04-29-2020, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nez

Good job at playing the tape forward Stable! Also congrats at recognizing the importance of reaching out. Reach for the keyboard instead of the bottle.

You are also very strong, more so than you give yourself credit. Today shows that. Keep doing the next right thing and you will see the mounting evidence of your strength!
Old 04-29-2020, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
nez

You are also very strong, more so than you give yourself credit for. Today shows that. Keep doing the next right thing and you will see the mounting evidence of your strength!
Old 04-29-2020, 06:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
nez

Old 04-30-2020, 09:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great work on making it through that craving. It’s not easy and you did it! Keep it up and slow. If you have to change jobs deal with it one day at a time 🤗