Notices

A Reminder

Old 04-25-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Re: A Reminder

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
To be honest I'm not sure why credit cards were bought up.

The site is 100% free throughout and geared to preserve peoples anonymity..
we have never asked for credit cards, donations or anything like that

Chat is free, the forums are free, the front page articles are free, blogs are free, the arcade games are free...No cost whatsoever to the members, ever.

D
SR always has been completely free and anonymous since Day 1.
And, we are SO grateful to the Techies for keeping us running smoothly.
Thanks to everyone for your patience the last few days. It looks like things are getting back to normal.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
SR always has been completely free and anonymous since Day 1.
And, we are SO grateful to the Techies for keeping us running smoothly.
Thanks to everyone for your patience the last few days. It looks like things are getting back to normal.

For full disclosure on the site if one does have privacy concerns, it's best to read the "agreement to terms" contract which must be accepted before registering. The site does use a lot of tracking techniques including more than just cookies. The newer beacons and fingerprinting techniques to track even the specific device your using and follow your movements around the web, and other sites owned by the company. I'm sure it's for advertising purposes but to be honest it is a little disconcerting when your discussing personal issues related to substances, some of which are illegal in nature. There are workarounds which can be used to aid in privacy.
And no I'm not a conspiracy nut, but I do have a career which I highly value. When I first came here I had been using cocaine and was looking for online support.This site has a lot to offer, with great people and moderators. I'm not criticizing, so please don't take it that way. Simply sharing some of the fine print which I'm sure is handled strictly by corporate and not the staff here.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard to not take your post as criticism. I've been here 17 years and I have not seen or heard of one single issue regarding privacy and personal information not one. I assure you that our owners do not share your personal information and I think it's harmful for you to suggest that that's the case.
We are also super vigilant for any member who decides to post personal information such as email address, phone number or names of family/friends being discussed in a post. We will immediately act and remove such information. If you post about using alcohol or drugs, there is no way anyone can find you unless you give someone your user name and password. This is why we strongly suggest members use a user name not know to anyone but you, and to not tell anyone else about SR.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Anna, I think Lines was only pointing out the capabilities of current technology, not what might be happening here. He said as much in his closing sentence.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Just a shout out to Dee and Anna, two people who I've never met but I'm indebted to for the sobriety I've achieved. Thanks guys.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anna and I are both volunteers here, and we both spend a lot of time trying to help and keep people safe here.
Annas been doing it for about twice as long as I have

Its also been a difficult few weeks since the world wide lockdown and all that entails, and site issues here.

Its been rough on us - that why this thread was started.
We know it's been rough on you guys too.

Bottom line: if either Anna or I felt that this place was anything but a safe haven and a boon to people like us we wouldn't be here, guys.

D
Old 04-25-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

(((hugs)))

This is my safe place. For 7 years now. And it is safe. BECAUSE of Anna and Dee.

I am not sure why anyone is complaining abut site issues....gosh, we have seriously scary stuff happening in our lives, and in the midst of it the SR techs managed to keep the site going despite having to work on bugs....that is kind of super-human. It is a big effort. A lot of work. A lot of hours looking at lines of code.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
nez

Giving a shout out of thanks to Anna, Dee, and the Techies.

Over the course of my life I have been in similar positions at one time or another so I can relate and empathize, especially in the present day with the compounding factor of the pandemic. I recognize, appreciate, and acknowledge all of your hard work and efforts and I applaud you!!!

Whenever I feel like complaining, I just remind myself that as I take my next breath, another person takes their last. Things seem to go better when I learn to live my life with what I have and to be grateful.
The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts the sail...William A. Ward
Old 04-25-2020, 04:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I want to add my thanks to Anna, Dee, the techies and owners here for keeping SR a safe and well run site for almost 20 years, through changes here and world crisis and all things that make people nervous. Well earned gratitude and respect are all I need to give to keep coming here every day. Thanks Anna and Dee, for the endless hours you spend making SR the supportive lifeboat that it is.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It's hard to not take your post as criticism. I've been here 17 years and I have not seen or heard of one single issue regarding privacy and personal information not one. I assure you that our owners do not share your personal information and I think it's harmful for you to suggest that that's the case.
We are also super vigilant for any member who decides to post personal information such as email address, phone number or names of family/friends being discussed in a post. We will immediately act and remove such information. If you post about using alcohol or drugs, there is no way anyone can find you unless you give someone your user name and password. This is why we strongly suggest members use a user name not know to anyone but you, and to not tell anyone else about SR.

I’m confused...what do you mean that you “strongly suggest members...not tell anyone else about SR”? Â I’ve never seen that, nor do I consider this a secret active group that only I get to benefit from. Why would I not tell anyone else about SR? I’m done with addiction and therefore done with secrets. I’ve told people about SR and am proud of that.Â
Old 04-25-2020, 06:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why would I not tell anyone else about SR? I’m done with addiction and therefore done with secrets. I’ve told people about SR and am proud of that.Â
Not everyone feels that way tho

I'm done with addiction too but I still value my privacy.

A lot of people like to keep SR to themselves.

They feel more open to share here if they know their anonymity is secure.
D
Old 04-25-2020, 06:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Sohard, I know especially in the case of Friends & Family, it's a good idea to keep this a safe place. Not all real life friends and family are cuddly and understanding.

I don't tell anyone in my real life I'm on here. Even when I was going to AA meetings I didn't mention this place. It's nice to be able to let out those secrets, but not if everyone in my life can just randomly read them at their leisure.

I long ago stopped trusting people to be sensitive to my needs and my privacy and I stopped saying
anything in real life that I wouldn't want the whole world to know.

Unless you have a safe person, like a therapist, I think that's a good rule of thumb. Based on past experience. YMMV.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

SoHard, when I say I strongly suggest you don't tell others about SR, that's my personal opinion. It's not a rule or a Mod thing. It's just my experience. I'm glad you feel open and comfortable talking about SR and addiction to others and I know that some people do tell others.

But, telling someone in your life about SR, can limit what you are comfortable talking about here. And, that can prevent you from getting the best advice and support they can. I've seen many cases where people invite a family member, friend or co-worker and then regret their decision because they remember things they've posted in the past that they don't want that person to read.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Not everyone feels that way tho

I'm done with addiction too but I still value my privacy.

A lot of people like to keep SR to themselves.

They feel more open to share here if they know their anonymity is secure.
D

Oh, I completely understand not every one feels that way. So for them, they definitely shouldn’t tell anyone about it. In my opinion, if it’s good for a person to keep it secret, go for it. And if it’s good for a person to tell someone about it, go for it. Whatever works for the person.Â