Notices

Coronavirus (Covid 19) Part 4

Old 05-20-2020, 12:30 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hello,

I’m in CA and we are starting to reopen here. I live in San Diego and the Mayor has written the governor requesting to move into phase three of the reopening plan.

Im continuing to work from home most days, I have gone into the office a few times, but not often. We really have only been out to go to the store, and also to get exercise.

So far this week has been good, last week I was feeling sad a few days, I think it is like that for many of us. I am looking forward to things reopening, but I also worry about the virus spreading.

Hope everyone is doing okay.

❤️ Delilah
Old 05-20-2020, 02:05 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things are opening up here now in Queensland, slowly.
I'm still hanging back and playing it safe, but I get a little more optimistic every day .

D
Old 05-20-2020, 04:04 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
^^^meh, that was a sanctimonious post, and I edited it, but didn't make the time window. Sorry,

One other covid-related thing -- work-at-home has completed up-ended my internal clock. It's 10:30 p.m. and I'm just starting to think about making dinner.

I like you talk a lot about New York. I had to go into Toronto yesterday for business and large, population dense cities will need to look to New York, lessons learned there, for future management. Plus, I live in the middle of nowhere, we have very few cases, it is easy to forget what it is like for the rest of the

I am pretty shocked at the lack of masks when I am out and about. Also I remember a thread not long ago about hand sanitizer, we bought some and it stinks like rotten vodka. It is made by a distillery, the smell dissipates really fast, and it isn't a trigger for me. It's does support a local company, so that is positive.

Is anyone else planning to stop the pre shop, curbside pick up routine anytime soon? Honestly I love it, no lines. Unlock my tailgate, they load, if not prepaid, they bring the debit machine on a hockey stick out, LOL.

Something has to be figured out for public washrooms though. Some folks are no stranger to the side of the road, but that doesn't always work. Pretty sure watering your lawn as an excuse doesn't fly in more urban areas.

I do think some people's hobby has become to complain. I had a conversation with my mom about her neighbour, poor girl, 4 kids have to share one lap top. I was like ma, her parents bought her a home, she has a 50k rv in her driveway and her kids do dance and hockey. Our kids have been on ipads since kindergarten and all homework is online. Don't tell me poor her. Poor her for not prioritizing her kids education prior to this. Lack of quality internet and inadequate electronic devices is a horrible reality for so many families through this, it shouldn't be for her. Plus some kids are eligible for ipads and chromebooks from their schools. People's reactions to different facets of this pandemic are sadly making me question whether I want to put effort into relationships with them in the future. It has been a good time for introspection and changing things to value what is important and cast off what is primarily ego serving.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:09 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

I haven't ventured into a public bathroom (except one at my workplace once when I had to pop in briefly) since the beginning of the lockdown, but definitely agree it is an issue and it cannot be avoided if we want to ease the lockdown. Not sure what an effective improvement could be though. Obviously keeping them pristine, probably providing reminder notes to stay clean, disinfectant wipes for people to use before/after themselves (not that I believe the majority would use them), but those conditions are unlikely to change too much in places that were already quite rundown, to start with.

As far as numbers and statistics - I am a scientist and definitely believe in using scientific methods for many things, but also think this whole COVID situation is just way too complex to be able to simply make the best decisions about everything based on infection rates (even if they were 100% accurate) and other stuff that can be expressed in numbers. So many contexts and variables to consider, it is also quite different depending on location, socioeconomic factors, human behavioral aspects, and a zillion other things. So many factors that stats and science alone cannot handle, no matter how much we wish it would be that straightforward and everyone just followed some simple reasoning. I think the only simple thing that will make a truly dramatic difference is a vaccine available to everyone. Until then, there will always be a lot of gambling in it and things that are just impossible to implement everywhere and for everyone.

One thing I personally wish would be changed somehow, especially in some circles, is to constantly refer to the current situation as trauma, crisis, grief and such things... but maybe it's just me as I don't like to often and excessively use such terms to describe life experiences in general as I don't find them helpful, accurate or often even compassionate much. I believe that describing this problem and challenge using overly negative terminologies and psychobabble don't apply to everyone and even for those that identify with them well, they can expand fears, hopeless mental states and attitudes (and yes, excessive complaining while often disregarding basic precautions/act that can be executed easily). But this may be a minority perspective, don't know.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:03 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

This covid 19 is sort of ok.... mainly stay home except for tuesdays.... I go to walmart at 6 am ....
But that is nothing .....
Wish most of the stores would open like Goodwill.... so I can drop off some stuff that is pilling up.... oh well...
Just like any other day.... at least the sun is out ..but the wind may come like a lion..
I have no bike to ride as they were out of stock... will have to hold off and see if they come back in....
Old 05-20-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

The'll make a comeback sunpengwn. And good that people are buying more pushbikes.

We have been very lucky here, with few infections or deaths. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Happening worldwide. Curves seem to be trending in the right direction. Hope not too early to start reopening? Hope is not a strategy.

I'm accustomed to isolation having lived alone for many years. None of these things bother me. Gives me time to think. But, the wait to have a pedi/mani! It's outrageous!

Clocked myself up 5 months the other day. So very happy to be sober.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations, Steely!
Old 05-20-2020, 07:09 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too am grateful to be sober during this pandemic. It would be so hard to manage if I were still drinking.

I am keeping my distance and wearing my mask when I'm in a store. I don't wear it while I'm walking Billie, but I carry it in my pocket in case I need it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:19 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunpengwn View Post
I have no bike to ride as they were out of stock... will have to hold off and see if they come back in....
One of our daughters decided this year that she loves basketball. Try finding nets or systems. None on Marketplace on Facebook, none in stores. Finally last weekend 7 shipped into a local sporting store, dh stood in line to get his girls their new backboard and net. Bikes have not been hard to come by here, but other outdoor stuff sure has! Pools, trampolines, backyard golf games, badminton etc., all impossible to find for many weeks. It should hopefully get better! I hope you are able to find a bike soon.

I finally am fast enough and have the endurance to try out for the local cycling club, they aren't running this year! That Murphy guy and his laws. LOL

Shockingly lesson barns just opened Monday, I already am juggling the schedule. Finally a positive.

We bought a couple bee colonies. Not honey bees, pollinating bees. I put the larvae in the fridge until the weekend, the kids are like, what have you done? At first they thought it was part of my naturopath's diet plan, my supplements arrived early. I have had lots of conversations about eating insects - especially because one of them loves going to the butterfly conservatory when are in that part of the province. I always tell them we are one of the few cultures who do not include insects in our diets. So they figured I might eat them. They have been off school too long.

It was really hard on them to hear there is no school for the rest of the year, but I told them, I wouldn't have let them go anyways. As one mom in England said, you guys can't manage nits in the school, wait and see how you propose to manage this.

Hoping everyone has a lovely day! Hoping to garden tonight. Need to water this am. Lessons all day.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:30 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Regarding public bathrooms, this is a major issue for the Mister and me in deciding whether we will travel next month for our daughter's 40th birthday. We would NOT fly, so that means a 12 hour car trip. Stopping to gas up the car and pee is much on our minds. (He could pee in a jar--not that he will; me not so much.) So we think masks, gloves, Clorox wipes, and maybe our own containers of foamy hand soap. And of course hand sanitizer when we get back in the car.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:11 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LilyLady1 View Post
Regarding public bathrooms, this is a major issue for the Mister and me in deciding whether we will travel next month for our daughter's 40th birthday. We would NOT fly, so that means a 12 hour car trip. Stopping to gas up the car and pee is much on our minds. (He could pee in a jar--not that he will; me not so much.) So we think masks, gloves, Clorox wipes, and maybe our own containers of foamy hand soap. And of course hand sanitizer when we get back in the car.
Hurricane season is coming up down here (2 weeks away) and I'm soooo worried about having to evacuate and what that might mean irt travel. It's going to be a rough season.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:54 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you won't have to evacuate this season PK.

The return of the drive in?
https://www.smh.com.au/culture/music...21-p54vav.html
Old 05-22-2020, 11:44 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Phase 2 is going well so far. For the last 4, maybe 5? days we have had zero new cases, zero deaths and our local hospital just dismissed the last cover-19 patient and has closed down the special cover-19 ICU ward! They posted a great picture on Facebook, all of them in their PPE with hands in the air and positive messages written on sings. We are enjoying our new freedoms but there are still a lot of regulations and rules to follow and I hope people will continue to do so. Speaking of bikes, the government is offering a cash bonus to anyone who buys a bike, trying to promote more people cycling instead of using public transportation and to keep doing something good for the environment. You pay just 70% of the retail price, a maximum of €500 refund. It is great!
Old 05-22-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

That is wonderful news, Mera! Gosh, I hope we have something similar here soon. I live in Georgia. My grandson's 1st grade teacher went door to door delivering all the things they had left in their cubbies at school. She didn't wear a mask or social distance at all. I was grateful we were only the second house she went to. She stood on the patio about a foot from my grandson and daughter-in-law for a good ten minutes, chatting. I told myself it was not my business to tell them what to do, but now I wish I had. I did say something to my family about it, but I should have said something to the teacher, even if it made them all mad at me. Oh, well, live and learn.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:24 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Phase 2 is going well so far. For the last 4, maybe 5? days we have had zero new cases, zero deaths and our local hospital just dismissed the last cover-19 patient and has closed down the special cover-19 ICU ward! They posted a great picture on Facebook, all of them in their PPE with hands in the air and positive messages written on sings. We are enjoying our new freedoms but there are still a lot of regulations and rules to follow and I hope people will continue to do so. Speaking of bikes, the government is offering a cash bonus to anyone who buys a bike, trying to promote more people cycling instead of using public transportation and to keep doing something good for the environment. You pay just 70% of the retail price, a maximum of €500 refund. It is great!
Mera, do you still have mask requirements?

I'm so glad to hear that you have some degree of success happening in Italy. Gives me hope.

Sober369, shocking about that teacher going door to door.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:44 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Mera, do you still have mask requirements?

I'm so glad to hear that you have some degree of success happening in Italy. Gives me hope.

Sober369, shocking about that teacher going door to door.

yes, masks are absolutely required when outside of your own home.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:58 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

I should have clarified that the "no new cases" was in reference to my area, not the whole of Italy.

And..... on that note, I spoke too soon, just saw an update from the mayor on Facebook that yesterday two new cases were reported. I hope this is not due to opening back up too soon....
Old 05-22-2020, 10:01 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope so mera

D
Old 05-23-2020, 12:33 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Mera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uDCKm33koQ
Old 05-24-2020, 02:58 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

We're one week away from easing lockdowns in my home town. I am not feeling very anxious about it yet. I dont think it will make a big difference to me. I've discovered that my introversion has been enhanced during the lockdown. I am quite at peace with minimal contact outside of my family. There are times when I find Zoom meetings tiring and actually, after physically meeting a client last week, I felt exhausted afterwards. Its as if I am retreating into my shell. Even avoiding social Zooms as I cant be bothered. I am unsure whether this is healthy or a common phenomena. I am quite happy to be out and about again with the lockdown easing but at the same time, neither am I particularly fussed. Does anyone else feel this way ?

Btw, I am glad that things have improved a lot in your part of the world, Mera. It was quite worrying for a while.