Notices

Circulation

Old 04-21-2020, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Circulation

Hey all,

I am 70 days in from no alcohol and have had most of the withdrawal symptoms such as low buzzing sound in head, tingling, body zaps, headache but I am having one symptom I have not heard people talk about. I am scheduled for an MRI and not asking for any medical advice,(My blood work so far has been normal) just curious if others have had this additional symptom and if they had any success getting relief. When I go to sleep I will sometimes wake up with my arms, hands and face feeling as if I am getting poor blood circulation like the feeling when your leg or foot falls asleep. It is a scary feeling and takes maybe 15 minutes to completely pass and comes back later in the evening or morning but milder. It would make me feel better if anyone could share if this is a symptom they had as I could not find much specifically about this in the forum.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had similar not a couple months sober but during acute withdrawal, usually days 1-2. You mention blood work, but have you had a full vitamin/nutrients panel? I think similar symptoms can be caused by certain deficiencies that alcoholics often develop.

Another thing that comes to mind (since you speak about having this upon awakening) is partial sleep paralysis, which I experience sometimes even years sober but definitely much more in the early days. That can be annoying but completely normal and harmless.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not medical advice but there are several things that can contribute. Low blood pressure (limbs fall asleep), a nerve issue, or its just the way things are going to be. My arms fall asleep every single night. I wake up and they are numb and cold. Don't know why, but its bad enough to go make me see the doc yet.

Hope you find relief, I'm sure its annoying.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like it could be caused for several reasons, but talking to your doctor is probably a good idea. Maybe your doctor could offer some information or medication that would help.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I merged your two threads Water37

D
Old 04-21-2020, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

I personally have bad circulation! It is due to malnutrition and eating disorders. Ask your doctor as many people with addiction don't have the best food habits.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

70 days is great!

I used to get that feeling with my hands and arms regularly when I was drinking. Sometimes both sides but more often the right. I would wake up in the night and wave my arm/hand in the air to try and get some feeling back in it. Sometimes it would be with pins and needles. My hand, in particular, would feel sort of tight/swollen. I continued to get it for a while when I quit drinking too. But it stopped happening, for the most part, a few months in. I say for the most part because I still get it occasionally but not enough any more to cause me any concern.

It is good that you are getting it checked out though.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,Thank you all for the replies. I went to the doctor and had an MRI of brain and spine. It came back that I have foranimal stenosis. That could be the cause the tingling in the arms and hands. I am on day 80 and the headaches have gone away and now am just left with tingling and shell shocked feeling of sensitivity to sounds and movements. Hopefully these are symptoms that will continue to improve. Looking forward to seeing how I feel at day 100. Thank you again to everyone in this forum. I have gained a lot of inspiration and comfort from all of you.